The Student Room Group

Weird/irrational drinking culture at uni

I'm an 'old school' drinker. I enjoy alcohol in small quantities with good company e.g. having a glass of wine with a meal or a few pints of ale in a pub. I don't see the point of getting absolutely smashed, but that's just me and I've got no problem with others at uni who do it.

My flatmates are fairly typical students; they won't drink at all during the week but get absolutely obliterated at the weekend. They often ask me why I'm drinking during the week (no more than a small glass of red a night) and seem to think I'm some sort of alcoholic because I enjoy regular moderate drinking. They'll often say things like 'why are you drinking? We're not going out tonight' as if I'm being the irresponsible one and it's only normal to drink if you do it to get drunk. Same applies if we're doing something together during the day; I'm looked down upon if I suggest having a lunchtime pint (a Great British institution) even though they're all perfectly happy to spew their guts out on street corners every Friday night. The hypocrisy is unbearable.

Apologies for the rant, I just think that our drinking culture is seriously messed up.

Any thoughts?
Original post by beauchampboiler
I'm an 'old school' drinker. I enjoy alcohol in small quantities with good company e.g. having a glass of wine with a meal or a few pints of ale in a pub. I don't see the point of getting absolutely smashed, but that's just me and I've got no problem with others at uni who do it.

My flatmates are fairly typical students; they won't drink at all during the week but get absolutely obliterated at the weekend. They often ask me why I'm drinking during the week (no more than a small glass of red a night) and seem to think I'm some sort of alcoholic because I enjoy regular moderate drinking. They'll often say things like 'why are you drinking? We're not going out tonight' as if I'm being the irresponsible one and it's only normal to drink if you do it to get drunk. Same applies if we're doing something together during the day; I'm looked down upon if I suggest having a lunchtime pint (a Great British institution) even though they're all perfectly happy to spew their guts out on street corners every Friday night. The hypocrisy is unbearable.

Apologies for the rant, I just think that our drinking culture is seriously messed up.

Any thoughts?

You say "our drinking culture" as if you think everyone drinks like your flatmates.

In reality of course, the vast, vast majority of people drink in the same way you do. With a few pints in the pub here and there, a glass of wine with dinner etc.

There is a small, narrow window in people's lives, typically between 15 and 20, when they don't drink like this. They drink immoderately and often somewhat recklessly. This is simply a stage that most young people go through, they are learning about their limits, using it as a bonding experience, and to overcome their social nervousness that is common in young people. They will eventually grow out of it and learn to appreciate alcohol in a more relaxed and sophisticated manner.

There's no harm in it; people don't keep it up long enough for it to cause any long lasting damage, and if it helps them have fun, bond, and work up the courage to talk to girls, so be it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending