The Student Room Group

Lorentz Transformations

Hi, so I'm working on the attached question. I'm asked to decide which of the two planets fired first. However, upon a bit of inspection of the question - and using the fact that Glas, Edi and Archangel, for all intents and purposes, can be treated as all lying and moving along a single axis (since "Archangel was approaching [the planets] on a linear path that would have first gone closely past Glas and then past Edi") - is it not apparent that Edi fired first?

From the question we see that the set up is as follows:

Edi----------------Glas------------<--------Archangel
<--200,000km-->

Where Archangel is approaching the two planets at speed 0.98c. Now, Edi's blast was seen by Archangel, whilst he was "a long way off", before Glas', despite Edi being the planet furthest away from Archangel and whose light would have had to travel a greater distance before reaching Archangel. It seems rather intuitive then that Edi will have fired first irrespective of any relativistic effects, no? I mean, if Glas fired first, then Archangel would have seen that first as the light from Glas would have far less to travel than the light from Edi.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest