The Student Room Group

Should we create a new country for only the intelligent and civilised?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. And then I can fire nuclear weapons at it, thus taking care of the people more intelligent than I am and allowing me to become unchallenged ruler of the world.
Original post by Unruly Marmite
Yes. And then I can fire nuclear weapons at it, thus taking care of the people more intelligent than I am and allowing me to become unchallenged ruler of the world.

This forward planning suggests you'd be in with them anyway :wink:
Original post by katinthehat
This forward planning suggests you'd be in with them anyway :wink:

I'd hide in a cupboard when they came around to test people. And the great thing is, they're so clever they wouldn't anticipate such a stupid move on my part.
Original post by Unruly Marmite
I'd hide in a cupboard when they came around to test people. And the great thing is, they're so clever they wouldn't anticipate such a stupid move on my part.

WOW! I'm in awe of your shrewd deception...can I be your sidekick? :colondollar:
I like the idea in principle but it's unworkable because there's no one definition of "intelligence" or "modern outlook". My definitions would be entirely different to yours. Also, who would do all the dirty work? If we've got a society of people who think they're too good for menial jobs, who does them?
I like the idea but it's unlikely to be practical. If we consider that you essentially create a city state to do this then your approach to limit entry on it's own is arguably great. The problem is that it sounds like you want a highly planned society with selective traits and as such i share similar concerns to Observatory. Would you enforce a market economy on them as part of dictatorial rule, would you allow democracy even though it may result in cultural bias and imperfect outcomes, what if these thousands of scientists vote for a command economy. Would you still trade with the inferiors or aim to be completely self sufficient. Would you simply deport these children not of good enough stock or abort them.

Finally there are concerns surrounding entrance requirements. Will this solely be an IQ test or will you be taking into account political views. Will somebody that believes in eugenics be excluded while you allow in the Marxist.

I don't doubt the short term success of such a state so long as you can replenish your genius with a steady flow of high IQ immigrants but there's the potential for it to become manipulated by certain ideologies.
We already have one, it is called USA, we are the only civilized country in this helhole planet
How would you persuade people to join? An eligible person might, in any other country, be among the most intelligent and capable and able to snap their fingers and walk straight into any job of their choosing. In your proposed country, however, they'd merely be average and have an average place in society. How many people would knowingly choose that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Lady Comstock
(Purely hypothetical in the hope if initiating an interesting discussion).

Would it be worthwhile to develop a new country where no-one had a right of birth to be a citizen, and therefore a strict immigration policy could be implemented in creating a population?

I come from what they call a welfare state where everyone is granted a decent living standard from birth to death. The result of such welfare state was everyone seeking higher education degrees, everyone wants to be a lawyer, doctor, scientist and engineer. Everyone is well qualified and everyone living in a nice mini mansion.

After fourty years in that path... the country found itself at a very bad position. There are no local citizens that do the less skilled jobs... no locals mechanics, no local technicians, no local nurses, no local people working at grocery stores, no locals at about every job that requires you to stand on your feed and do some physical work... the list is really infinite!

The result now is a country with more than half of its population made of expats... Completely reliant on them and if for whatever reason they leave the country will be crippled.
Trying to create the Utopia of intelligent?

Are you too tired to face your everyday realities?

Then go & get some sleep.
Original post by scrotgrot
If you like, but at the end of the day someone's going to have to collect the bins

This really. A society full of only PhD holders would probably collapse far faster than one full of only farmers and carpenters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending