The Student Room Group

Are you Politically Correct?

Scroll to see replies

I deplore political correctness. It's becoming a tool to suppress speech and opinion, and it stifles much needed discussions on controversial topics.

Then again, a large proportion of my sense of humour relies on political correctness making it 'wrong' (and therefore funny).
Original post by Jammy Duel
I put "niceness" (prefer to think of it as respect) and political correctness in two separate categories, maybe with a slight overlap; I also clump into political correctness when you have liberals (and other groups) shouting about how they're "offended" for BS reasons

Please give me an example of said reasons.
Political correctness caused Europe to become Eurabia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E50JaCQNng
Original post by Placeboo123
Political correctness caused Europe to become Eurabia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E50JaCQNng

Well, I agree, that's just stupid. For some 'political correctness' like including millions of genders on an application form is just stupid. Male/Female/Other is perfectly fine. Why would you go out of your way for a special snowflake that feels "triggered" because you won't acknowledge that their gender is androgynous fe-male horsekin and you won't use pronouns about horses?

But I mean, obviously don't go around cussing people out and calling them n-words and **** because that's just general respect and if you think you're much better than others than doing so, then.... I have an issue for that.
yes, I don't ever use offensive words on racial, gender, sexual orientation grounds..

I don't get why not saying ****** is soooo hurtful, but meh, there are no better freedoms to defend.....
Original post by RFowler
Define "political correctness".

Occasionally it gets a bit ridiculous, like people complaining about "offensive" jokes by comedians, or the extreme feminists who wanted to ban "lad's mags", etc. But incidents like that are very rare and often exaggerated.

A lot of people, when referring to "political correctness" actually mean something which is just basic good manners. Not calling gay people derogatory names, not using the N word to describe black people, etc.

I find a lot of racists and bigots use "PC gone mad" to refer to people criticising their views.

What society do you reside my friend? Nobody is complaining that they cannot use the N Word because they know it is racist. Don't personalize an issue because you may share the snide fear tactics of Politically Correct people to silence views which they know are true.

You very well know the extent/extremist mantra of political correctness and how it defemates/guilt's people into believing they commit/said something which was not hateful in anyway.

Ba Ba Black sheep has been removed from the English dictionary for 'racism' yet you have the lack of class to recognize a fact which shows a group you hold animosity for has been victimized.

One word: Rotherham

Thread.
No i am not politically correct. Political correctness to me is someone acting in a way deemed politically or societally acceptable just because they want to avoid debate or being labelled.

An example of this would be the Rotherham situation whereby people stayed quiet about it rather than being labelled racist. They refused to speak out because speaking out against minority groups is not politically correct and doing so could damage their position.

I think anyone interested in the topic should really read George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' as its a compelling read.

But far more importantly Orwell came to accurately foresee the prevailing mode of thinking, a set of ideas that is generally called “political correctness”. PC, for want of a better expression, describes a set of acceptable beliefs, outside of which it is not permitted to step and that has been a very significant development.

Among the various characteristics of political correctness is the branding of dissident thinkers as racists, sexists or homophobes (thoughtcrime) the necessity of holding two contradictory ideas together (doublethink) and attempts to change the language to change politics (Newspeak).
Reply 27
I say what I believe. Short of avoiding obviously offensive slurs I wouldn't say I'm politically correct at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending