The Student Room Group

Easier for women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TolerantBeing
:rofl:

PRSOM for the umpteenth time. I keep wanting to rep you damnit!

I am pretty repable. :tongue:

I just don't see how it would be any different? My mum was shy, I'm shy. I doubt I would be that much different in that regard if I was a girl. It might even be worse as guys don't have to worry about being ugly as much. I would have probably been one of those girls that didn't wear make up etc, I doubt I would have been a girly girl.

Although if I probably wouldn't be a gamer as that sprung from very much a male orientated child hood. Actually would I ahve even done a physics degree?? My parents probably would have encouraged me in something science related. Actually this is an interesting question, what would my life be like now if the gender coin flip had gone the other way :holmes: Like I probably wouldn't have gone though that obsession with Romans and Vikings which was due to having a male friend and pretend sword fighting being something boys just did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But why is that?

Why should every woman try to emulate the tits that are normally those in power?

If there anything wrong with spending more time with family?

Is it a good thing that both parents now have to work to bring in what one parent use to be able to do?

You can't describe every single human via a simple gender binary. There are lots of different types of men as there are women.

Unless there's any good reason why this imbalance should exist - and the only judge of that is women and I've not seen anything that states that most women are happy with the status quo - then I disagree with you. If women were happy with being restricted to a traditional domestic role and didn't want to go into areas like politics or science then sure, you'd be right. But that's not the case.
I think women put a lot more effort into supporting their friends and family ( in general ) than men do. Men tend to think people they work with are their friends when really they are only colleagues and as soon as you move job you lose the friends too. This accounts for the dismay/depression of men when they retire, perhaps?

Women will often have prioritised their relationships with family: mother, fathers, brothers and sisters, children given the chance. They will want to live near relations and friends. They will expect to help relations / friends and receive help from them when necessary. Men tend to think they can/ should manage on their own. Women talk ( and men tend not to know about this). Women confide to their best friends about everything. Men don't - anything which might call into question their competence, their attractiveness, their intelligence is off limits.

So it depends . If women have no close friends they will suffer disproportionately. Men tend to rely on women for their intimate relationships and conversations and will suffer if they are not in a good relationship with a woman.
Why are you being so defensive? Come on now...
I am not being so defensive. You're the one going around the forum making assumptions about people. Why not deal with facts that have been established rather than making assumptions up about people?

It's a pretty reasonable assumption to make. If someone says to you 'oh X has it better because of Y reason's'. It's only reasonable to assume that those reasons are either the only ones the person can think of, or they are the most important reasons to the person.

You shouldn't make assumptions. To assume just makes an ass out of u and me. You should learn to dig deeper and establish facts before coming to your conclusion, or should I say, jumping to your conclusion. This is not the first time I have seen it. The first time you did it I let it slide because I'm an extremely reasonable bloke. This time however required action.
Reply 24
Why are you being so defensive? Come on now...

It's a pretty reasonable assumption to make. If someone says to you 'oh X has it better because of Y reason's'. It's only reasonable to assume that those reasons are either the only ones the person can think of, or they are the most important reasons to the person.

Unless it's a sheer coincidence. And she had a bundle of reasons but chose those ones completely by random.

I never make long posts because I can't be bothered.
Social aspect was the easiest example to give.
Just ask rather than make a bigger leap than necessary on assumptions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
I think from easiest to hardest it goes like this:
Attractive women, attractive men, unattractive men, unattractive women.
Original post by Chlorophile
Unless there's any good reason why this imbalance should exist - and the only judge of that is women and I've not seen anything that states that most women are happy with the status quo - then I disagree with you. If women were happy with being restricted to a traditional domestic role and didn't want to go into areas like politics or science then sure, you'd be right. But that's not the case.

I;m not saying that they should be restricted, or that they should be happy with it if they are. But if say women (on average) were choosing family over high paying carrear, why is that a bad thing?

Unless I absolutely loved my job I would rather have more time to spend with a hypothetical family, that is something that is harder to do if you are male.
This could turn from interesting debating to sexist arguments real quick xD I think both have it easier in many ways, but there are very very few things that ALL women or ALL men do/ get therefore based on the only things that EVERY member of both sex has to take part in or does, men have it easier IMO.
I;m not saying that they should be restricted, or that they should be happy with it if they are. But if say women (on average) were choosing family over high paying carrear, why is that a bad thing?

Unless I absolutely loved my job I would rather have more time to spend with a hypothetical family, that is something that is harder to do if you are male.

If that's what women wanted then there's nothing wrong with it. But first of all, I'd argue that you're presenting a false dichotomy - one should not necessarily have to choose between raising a family and having a successful career. And secondly, people are not happy with the status quo. Given that most families still have a mother and a father, there's no intrinsic reason why the woman would have to sacrifice her career for the sake of her family and the man wouldn't. Both are perfectly capable of parenting, I don't understand why the expectation is for the woman to sacrifice her career.
Original post by SocialJustice
Women are paid less than men. 1/4 women experience sexual assault. Only a fraction of CEOs or world leaders are women. Women have periods and childbirth. There's still the sexual double standard and the Patriarchy still oppresses women.

And you think life is easier for women? :dontknow:

But then you can become a gold digger, no need to work.
Reply 30
Original post by miser
I think from easiest to hardest it goes like this:
Attractive women, attractive men, unattractive men, unattractive women.

You ruined the boldness of my previous post. :cry2:
But yes, I see where you're coming from with that list.
Easier in starting a conversation - yeah i think so
easier in making relationships - I think this just depends on the individual cos in the long run its your personality that matters.
Easier in life? unless that is synonymous to being more approachable for you then i dont agree :P Each has their own barriers
Dunno I find when it comes to friendship groups guys are more inclusive and less cliquey. OP is based on the widely inaccurate assumption that all girls are at least decent looking. If you're an unattractive and socially awkward girl both girls and guys act as if you don't exist. There's a reason girls are more likely to suffer from eating disorders as society makes girls feel they're value is in their looks and sexuality. As for relationships, yes girls can get sex but quite often they want more than that and it's difficult to know who to trust for fear of getting used for sex. We have the friends-with-benefits zone you could say.

Obviously men have their own problems too so I'd say they even themselves out.
If that's what women wanted then there's nothing wrong with it. But first of all, I'd argue that you're presenting a false dichotomy - one should not necessarily have to choose between raising a family and having a successful career. And secondly, people are not happy with the status quo. Given that most families still have a mother and a father, there's no intrinsic reason why the woman would have to sacrifice her career for the sake of her family and the man wouldn't. Both are perfectly capable of parenting, I don't understand why the expectation is for the woman to sacrifice her career.

I agree. Mostly.

But if you do spend more time with your family you have less time and energy to sell your soul to some company and rake in the big bucks (relatively speaking).
I agree. Mostly.

But if you do spend more time with your family you have less time and energy to sell your soul to some company and rake in the big bucks (relatively speaking).

Yes. But why are we focusing on women when we're talking about spending time with family?
Yes. But why are we focusing on women when we're talking about spending time with family?

Since it could explain why women get paid less. If they spend more time on family than focusing on climbing a career ladder. If they are choosing (on average of course) this it isn't sexism.

I'm saying this is the case, I haven't looked at any studies or anything. This is just a hypothetical scenario and I agree this is something men should be able to choose as well.
It's easier for women with relationships for sure. All you've got to do is stand around, look pretty and you'll get asked out. I don't want to hear "yeah but they are all weirdos who ask me out". How can they all be weirdos. That defies the law of averages. Perhaps your standards are too high. For men, particularly those born without confidence or decisiveness, they could spend many years alone in the wilderness.

The great thing I have come to realise of course is that as a man, when you do develop that confidence and decisiveness, you can take your pick...
Original post by SocialJustice
Women are paid less than men. 1/4 women experience sexual assault. Only a fraction of CEOs or world leaders are women. Women have periods and childbirth. There's still the sexual double standard and the Patriarchy still oppresses women.

And you think life is easier for women? :dontknow:

Where is the evidence that women are paid less than men? How many women actually want to be CEOs?
I don't get this "why are less women CEOs"

Well I do, but it is of no significance if the CEO of a ruthless tax dodging company is a woman or a man. They are still crummy people. It's like it doesn't matter if we are ran by ****ers, as long as those ****ers are made up of an equal amount of women and men it is ok...

Disclaimer, I;m sure not all CEOs are evil :tongue:
What is this? of course women have it harder in life.
Less paid/looked down on/judged based on how we look

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending