The Student Room Group

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Spreading TB = antisocial; resting up and recovering = sensible

Perhaps.. I do think one needs to keep an open mind when in a multicultural/racial relationship, and demonstrate a degree of ‘interculturalism’. My mother’s next door neighbours are Russian and American, they both speak both languages and so do the kids :h:

Jolly good!

Honestly,I'm so over what these people think of me.they obviously aren't my real friends if they think I'm just this antisocial biatch.

I certainly wouldn't be with a guy who wasn't comfortable with my culture or trying to be understanding,it's all communication and understanding!
I would feel so depressed if I did not train in the gym and have bodybuilding as a crutch in life. Can't take the British lifestyle of drinking and eating what they do.

I am so disconnected from this British society that it is unreal, it is so ****ing robotic. The only way people feel happy in this society is when they have wished away their weekdays and are up to their eyeballs in drugs and alcohol in the weekend to forget it all.
Original post by Tom_Ford
I would feel so depressed if I did not train in the gym and have bodybuilding as a crutch in life. Can't take the British lifestyle of drinking and eating what they do.

I am so disconnected from this British society that it is unreal, it is so ****ing robotic. The only way people feel happy in this society is when they have wished away their weekdays and are up to their eyeballs in drugs and alcohol in the weekend to forget it all.

I am tired of routine in general and had to stop drinking along time ago for my own good. I felt like I was in a prison but now I have self control and although I'm still not happy,laying off the alcohol has done me more good than harm.
I'm jewish and I'd say I feel jewish first, British second as my jewish culture is really strong as I am Orthodox so practically every action I take is defined by jewish law somehow, whereas you tend to forget about being British on a daily basis. I would also only ever date a religious jew, partly for religious reasons and also because it is such a massive part of my life that being with someone who didn't share it would be utterly impossible! However I don't feel uncomfortable living here at all and generally I think the British are really welcoming and accommodating to jewish people (a few incidents of hate are inevitable, and do not reflect British culture as a whole)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's with this obsession of wanting to become accepted. You don't need to be accepted man. Just be civilised, treat people with respect, be productive in your life, and try to contribute to society in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oxymoronical
Also, the Coptic faith does not permit one to marry a non-Oriental Orthodox individual :P

Interestingly, the other Oriental Orthodox churches permit marriage outside the Oriental church.
It depends where you live and nowadays people not just the British want to place and mark people down. So they wrongly assume by asking you where your parents are from that that defines who you are how you think and what you feel.
It used to be same if you said you were from Newcastle Upon Tyne people would probably assume you were working class and not very cultured where as if you said you were from Harrogate they would assume the opposite.
British people are a pedantic lot they like to file you away under some category they'll even do it through accent , dress sense or demeanour.
Original post by studentgreen
It depends where you live and nowadays people not just the British want to place and mark people down. So they wrongly assume by asking you where your parents are from that that defines who you are how you think and what you feel.
It used to be same if you said you were from Newcastle Upon Tyne people would probably assume you were working class and not very cultured where as if you said you were from Harrogate they would assume the opposite.
British people are a pedantic lot they like to file you away under some category they'll even do it through accent , dress sense or demeanour.

I've never understood the need for it...
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Ignore them OP, blame the media for perpetuating racist stereotypes. Not every Muslim is ISIS, etc. My ex also dealt with this, it must be awful

not every muslim is isis, but a hell of a lot of them do sympathise with isis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhiteKnight747
not every muslim is isis, but a hell of a lot of them do sympathise with isis

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure many Muslims do not support Isis. They're the number one victims of terrorist attacks. They despise Isis and what they've done done to their families/lands
Original post by queen-bee
I'm sure many Muslims do not support Isis. They're the number one victims of terrorist attacks. They despise Isis and what they've done done to their families/lands

They do.

Just google "muslim support survey jihad", and you will see a number of polls and surveys detailing support for jihad amongst the majority of muslims in the west

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Who's a minority? everyone's a minority in some country.

Jews aren't a minority in Israel

Blacks aren't a minority in practically every country in Africa (besides some Arabised North African countries)
Original post by WhiteKnight747
They do.

Just google "muslim support survey jihad", and you will see a number of polls and surveys detailing support for jihad amongst the majority of muslims in the west

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very well habibi,whatever you say. Will check it out later
Why does everyone want to be "accepted"? What's with the insecurities?
x

Sorry to hear about your experience. There are always going to be ignorant peole out there sadly.

I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess.

What do you mean by fully British? I can't help but feel that you caterogise people into "British" and "fully British" when such a divison shouldn't really exist.

Plus, I don't see why not feeling yourself to belong to a culture would stop you dating someone of that culture. I don't feel Italian, in fact I'm not Italian, but that would not be a reason for me not dating an Italian.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Illegal Algebra
What's with this obsession of wanting to become accepted. You don't need to be accepted man. Just be civilised, treat people with respect, be productive in your life, and try to contribute to society in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My own personal beliefs are if you like England and are not talking down the country at every possible opportunity you will be fine. As a little Englander i do get annoyed when i hear minorities roasting England when they came here to Improve there life. Another thing i get annoyed what ethnic minorities do is when they are arrogant ****s when you try and communicate with them and then they speak about not being accepted into British society where generally we speak and get along with anyone.
Reply 436
Original post by King Leonidas
I don't care if I'm accepted, I'm taking your jeewbs:yeah:

then in that case you must be living in india or china?
Original post by The Epicurean
Sorry to hear about your experience. There are always going to be ignorant peole out there sadly.

What do you mean by fully British? I can't help but feel that you caterogise people into "British" and "fully British" when such a divison shouldn't really exist.

Plus, I don't see why not feeling yourself to belong to a culture would stop you dating someone of that culture. I don't feel Italian, in fact I'm not Italian, but that would not be a reason for me not dating an Italian.

A native of the land.

I didn't say I wouldn't date a British person,have I? As long as we were compatible,why not?
Original post by epoddoulc
Why does everyone want to be "accepted"? What's with the insecurities?

Wait so natives have the right to dictate whether or not someone is part of this country and we just have to shut up about it?

Acceptance is not an insecurity, it's about being part of a country and not having to face abuse which you seem to condone.
Original post by Alex McTurd
My own personal beliefs are if you like England and are not talking down the country at every possible opportunity you will be fine. As a little Englander i do get annoyed when i hear minorities roasting England when they came here to Improve there life. Another thing i get annoyed what ethnic minorities do is when they are arrogant ****s when you try and communicate with them and then they speak about not being accepted into British society where generally we speak and get along with anyone.

What the Brits on are hostile towards minorities and would rather move away than live next to one,isn't that what the white flight of London is all about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending