The Student Room Group

How black can you act without being racist?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on who you're using them on and your relationship with them. I let my white friends call me anything because I simply don't care, I'll make a joke of them not being black enough to do certain things and they'll make a joke about me being too white, it really doesn't matter. Just like rubysmith said, as long as the intention isn't racism then it isn't a big deal, I crack race jokes around white people I just met a lot and apart from their initial shock it's fine.

Some people are just waaaaaaay oversensitive about this sort of thing (as evidenced in this thread), you just need to be smart about what you're saying and who you're saying it to
Original post by alexschmalex
Depends on who you're using them on and your relationship with them. I let my white friends call me anything because I simply don't care, I'll make a joke of them not being black enough to do certain things and they'll make a joke about me being too white, it really doesn't matter. Just like rubysmith said, as long as the intention isn't racism then it isn't a big deal, I crack race jokes around white people I just met a lot and apart from their initial shock it's fine.

Some people are just waaaaaaay oversensitive about this sort of thing (as evidenced in this thread), you just need to be smart about what you're saying and who you're saying it to

Gosh! It's almost like you're saying treat people on an individual basis because they are individuals and might think, feel and act differently to other people who are otherwise, at face value, similar to them. How silly... :tea:
I'm black and I don't mind if you do it for light banter. It's just gets offensive when it's done to many times or still being done when it's clear that I'm annoyed with it.
Original post by SquareBrackets
Go to hell. Turn on a television, maybe watch Top Gear tonight. It might help you.

Are you the kind of person that sits there writing complaint letters?

I have the adjective "torpid" in my alias.

Do you really think I'm the sort who would waste their time writing banal letters in a feeble attempt to increase my own mental security by deceiving myself into thinking that I actually have the faintest bit of power on this rock?

NO.
You are allowed to belt 'I Will Always Love You'.
The sky's your limit (or, the ceiling of your prison cell for that matter)
When you say act black what sort of black person are you trying to imitate?

A gang member?

An Oxford educated lawyer?

We need specifics.
Original post by Jasaron
Phrases like "yo dawg" aren't really black at all in my opinion. They're just a part of each region's lingo; I live in a fairly multicultural part of London, and if you're not being outright racist, any phrase isn't really assigned to a race - it's just regional slang. I'm struggling to articulate my point, but I'm sure you get the idea of it.

Who the hell says that i cannot imagine someone born and bred in the country irregardless of race uttering such american colloquial terms
Original post by Matthew12
Who the hell says that i cannot imagine someone born and bred in the country irregardless of race uttering such american colloquial terms

I've never heard anyone say it in person either. I was using that phrase because it was the same one used by the OP.
Original post by Jasaron
I've never heard anyone say it in person either. I was using that phrase because it was the same one used by the OP.

Im sorry they edited it out of the OP, I think Abdul Karim complained that it was offensive to him.
Original post by DiddyDec
When you say act black what sort of black person are you trying to imitate?

A gang member?

An Oxford educated lawyer?

We need specifics.

Just that gang-member stereotype.

Btw Are you an oxford-educated lawyer?
Just that gang-member stereotype.

Btw Are you an oxford-educated lawyer?

No. I'm a university drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
No. I'm a university drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, I just wondered why you picked that particular pairing of university and course lol Nvm, I'm curious about silly things
Reply 33
Don't paint your face. Don't call people ******. And you'll be fine. You'll look real corny, but you'll be fine...
... if you're not black.

Or for any race for that matter.

Edit: Because people have already found a way to be offended by my post, amazingly enough... I shall re-phrase the question;

Which black stereotypes are considered too racist to mention and which ones aren't?

To many people that being black is a matter of culture, of how you talk and act and think and dress.

Wrong.

What makes you black is how white people act towards you because of how you look.

Ask any black person who grew up in a white area listening to rock music and speaking perfect White English.

Yes, Black people does have a culture of its own that is noticeably different from mainstream. But that culture is a side effect of being black, not the cause of what makes people black.
Reply 35
WTF is "acting black"?
Being black I don't mind anything except....

When the N word comes up in a song, because you're with me does not mean you can use it.
Why even be bothered about offending people with the way you act when you already show a complete disregard to offending people here with what you write? Unless you're one of those fake people who want to be liked and save your real opinions for the internet where no one can see you...
Original post by willlondon2000
To many people that being black is a matter of culture, of how you talk and act and think and dress.

Wrong.

What makes you black is how white people act towards you because of how you look.

Ask any black person who grew up in a white area listening to rock music and speaking perfect White English.

Yes, Black people does have a culture of its own that is noticeably different from mainstream. But that culture is a side effect of being black, not the cause of what makes people black.

What is White English? Is there a Black English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nomes89
Why even be bothered about offending people with the way you act when you already show a complete disregard to offending people here with what you write? Unless you're one of those fake people who want to be liked and save your real opinions for the internet where no one can see you...

Exactly. I don't take offence from faceless entities; I wish people would do the same. And I don't make personal attacks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending