The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Pashtuns, do you want a Pashtunistan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silaiestatira
That's surprising. it is generally the afghan pashtuns who desire it the most. Genuinely surprised considering nearly every Afghan Pashtun I know does.

Most of my family are pashtun and I see none of them desiring that. I always speak to pashtuns and they are more concerned about the problems inside Afghanistan eg lack of education + poverty rather than issues such as an independent Pash. This will create so many problems within the country with more hatred within ethnic groups. This is pointless.

I do see the desire but I think it is really useless if we dont care about the problems first. Then think about such issues.
Original post by undergroundracle
No such thing, considering your age maybe you should educate yourself a little. I am an Afghan.

I want to see more people who think as such.

A lot of pashtuns loose their Afghan identity and culture because they live in Pakistan.
Original post by Daryabrm
No. The thought of Pashtunistan just makes me eeek. I see little hope in such an idea.

I do agree that we are being killed and overlooked as people only see that other ethnic groups are being killed. But do you really want a Pashtunistan? Don't you think it will create so many wars? Don't you think other ethnic groups, who have done their bits for Afghanistan deserve to live in Afghanistan?
Both Afg and Pak is so diverse now it will be hard to create pashtunistan.

Pashtuns have done a lot of cruetly as well as gone through a lot. I think this will create unnecessary wars and we should focus on developing our country instead of trying to build others. The state of some Pashtun provinces are ridiculous and should be protested for. Rather than caring about a new country.

You don't understand the concept of pashtunistan it would only include Pashtun majority areas, not Kabul, Herat etc. The other minorities would get their own countries or be one country - Khorasan.
You don't understand the concept of pashtunistan it would only include Pashtun majority areas, not Kabul, Herat etc. The other minorities would get their own countries or be one country - Khorasan.

Pashtuns are mixed all across Afghanistan. The provinces are so mixed that it would be difficult to do so except for some areas ofc

I think we should be fighting for complete sovereignty first, for women’s rights, for human rights, for education, for safety, for infrastructure, for economic independence, for freedom from corruption. We cannot put territorial expansion or the creation of Pashtunistan on the top of our priorities when the government barely manages to keep itself together.Would it be nice to have our fellow Pashtuns to be together? Definitely. Is it economically and politically feasible at the moment? Maybe not so much. Stability in Afghanistan and Pakistan is our top priority, whether the rest of Pashtunistan will join is is ultimately up to the people living in those areas.
(edited 9 years ago)

Pashtuns are mixed all across Afghanistan. The provinces are so mixed that it would be difficult to do so except for some areas ofc

I think we should be fighting for complete sovereignty first, for women’s rights, for human rights, for education, for safety, for infrastructure, for economic independence, for freedom from corruption. We cannot put territorial expansion or the creation of Pashtunistan on the top of our priorities when the government barely manages to keep itself together.Would it be nice to have our fellow Pashtuns to be together? Definitely. Is it economically and politically feasible at the moment? Maybe not so much. Stability in Afghanistan and Pakistan is our top priority, whether the rest of Pashtunistan will join is is ultimately up to the people living in those areas.

Yes, but why do u think there's instability, our people are caught up in a battle between Pakistan, the west and Iran. And at the end of the day who gets killed: Pashtuns. As long as Pakistan continues to fund the Taliban and no one does anything about it, Pashtun areas will continue to be hellholes. 2014 was the most violent year in Afghan history, it's getting worse, unless we stop it. Oh and by the way, pastuns aren't as spread out as u think. The pockets of Pashtun areas in the north were placed there in an attempt by the afghan king to pashtunise the minorities, I don't think they'd want to go south and become part of pashtunistan as most of them speak more Dari than pashto and follow Tajik culture etc, similar to the Pashtun majority parts of Punjab.
Most of my family are pashtun and I see none of them desiring that. I always speak to pashtuns and they are more concerned about the problems inside Afghanistan eg lack of education + poverty rather than issues such as an independent Pash. This will create so many problems within the country with more hatred within ethnic groups. This is pointless.

I do see the desire but I think it is really useless if we dont care about the problems first. Then think about such issues.

I think the concept and idea of a Pashtunistan is better to entertain and consider after resolving the problems in the region first - something i personally think that could be solved somewhat by giving pashtun and baloch dominant areas back to Afghanistan. I partially think this is because of the FATA region (especially with the recent Pakistani army military programme that killed and evicted thousands of pashtuns) being a thriving hub for terrorism. Obviously an area that refuses to accept Pakistani imposed governance and, in doing that, are given their own "official title/state" as the "no go zone and lawless areas" of Pakistan, there is going to be centralized terrorist activity. It is obviously a haven for all criminals - an area that doesn't abide by normal laws because the people won't accept it. Most schools there sing about "Great Afghanistan" in their school anthems, most older men fought against the Soviets when they invaded. I'm not sure if you can see the link but in giving/returning Afghan land to Afghanistan, these areas would readily accept the Afghan governance (that most dream of) and law (albeit not maybe fully enforced) would be in practice again.

People could argue, however, that it isn't that simple and all contributing factors are intricately linked.

I personally think the best solution to everything is education (which then leads to the full realization of human rights and economy and industry and growth etc etc etc) but with the current state of the (ISI funded) Pashtun regions (on both sides of this imaginary border,) it'd be hard.

Once again, my solution is intelligent self, democratic governance; something that FATA and KPK have been deprived of and once this is sucesfully realized and implemented, the region will grow as a whole.
I think the concept and idea of a Pashtunistan is better to entertain and consider after resolving the problems in the region first - something i personally think that could be solved somewhat by giving pashtun and baloch dominant areas back to Afghanistan. I partially think this is because of the FATA region (especially with the recent Pakistani army military programme that killed and evicted thousands of pashtuns) being a thriving hub for terrorism. Obviously an area that refuses to accept Pakistani imposed governance and, in doing that, are given their own "official title/state" as the "no go zone and lawless areas" of Pakistan, there is going to be centralized terrorist activity. It is obviously a haven for all criminals - an area that doesn't abide by normal laws because the people won't accept it. Most schools there sing about "Great Afghanistan" in their school anthems, most older men fought against the Soviets when they invaded. I'm not sure if you can see the link but in giving/returning Afghan land to Afghanistan, these areas would readily accept the Afghan governance (that most dream of) and law (albeit not maybe fully enforced) would be in practice again.

People could argue, however, that it isn't that simple and all contributing factors are intricately linked.

I personally think the best solution to everything is education (which then leads to the full realization of human rights and economy and industry and growth etc etc etc) but with the current state of the (ISI funded) Pashtun regions (on both sides of this imaginary border,) it'd be hard.

Once again, my solution is intelligent self, democratic governance; something that FATA and KPK have been deprived of and once this is sucesfully realized and implemented, the region will grow as a whole.

Yes I do agree.

I think we have so many things to fight for eg women's right, human rights, education, safety, infrastructure, economics, freedom corruption etc that we shouldn't.

Both countries are trying to create/foster nationalisms of their own in order to create a national identity and hence strengthen their country. That, of course, doesn’t take away from the fact that a Pashtun on either side of the border remains Pashtun. But, and I say this with caution, the government may try to overpower ethnic identity by creating allegiance to national identity instead.

Of course I and many other Pashtuns will welcome our other Pashtun brothers and sisters would be happy with a country. But would Afghanistan let this? I think the afg government would rather want the land back than a Pashtunistan.
But let me tell you, this is not about getting a “green light” from Afghanistan no one in Afghanistan will say no because along with the people comes incredibly important territory. But there are a few factors that hinder this cross-border-Pashtun/Afghan-love: Non-Pashtun Pakistanis. Obviously, Pashtuns aren’t the only group in that region. What would happen to them? And obviously, there is no way in hell the Pakistani government would ever give up on that piece of land, and no way the Afghan government could force it to do so - yet - so these discussions are hypothetical.

In short: Yes, Pashtuns anywhere and Pashtuns just like us and while ideally, it would be great to have them all united as a country, it is not possible right now, realistically speaking, due to economic and political reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, but why do u think there's instability, our people are caught up in a battle between Pakistan, the west and Iran. And at the end of the day who gets killed: Pashtuns. As long as Pakistan continues to fund the Taliban and no one does anything about it, Pashtun areas will continue to be hellholes. 2014 was the most violent year in Afghan history, it's getting worse, unless we stop it. Oh and by the way, pastuns aren't as spread out as u think. The pockets of Pashtun areas in the north were placed there in an attempt by the afghan king to pashtunise the minorities, I don't think they'd want to go south and become part of pashtunistan as most of them speak more Dari than pashto and follow Tajik culture etc, similar to the Pashtun majority parts of Punjab.

In Afghan history, exactly, all Afghans suffer, not only pashtuns.

I think pashtuns in Pakistan joining Afghanistan is a much better option than a Pashtunistan.

Do Afghans really want it on their side? Not all of them and I believe not many do. A new country is going to be much more problematic. We cannot solve our problems by just ignoring them and placing a country on top. After all, it is the same people who will live there and the same neighbourhood countries.

Do you think the war will end with a new country? Do you think Pakistan will give up such a land? Do you think 'fighting' for the land wont cause so many death within pashtuns? Realistically i think stability should be our top priority.
I want to see more people who think as such.

A lot of pashtuns loose their Afghan identity and culture because they live in Pakistan.

a different issue . Pashtun tribes don't recognise the border.

What you've described there is a problem with refugees and not Pashtuns.
Yes I do agree.

I think we have so many things to fight for eg women's right, human rights, education, safety, infrastructure, economics, freedom corruption etc that we shouldn't.

As nation states have emerged and nationalisms have become more and more relevant over the past 2-3 centuries, we’ve started to give more meaning to borders and allowed them to define our identity. This is the way our world today works: in units of states. Not every state is a nation state and so there are nations that do not have a state for example, the Kurdish nation. The way you deal with that is that you either give the nation their own geographical/territorial state or you take the geographical state that you have and you create a nation out of it (through centralization, nationalisms etc.). We see the latter happening here.

Both countries are trying to create/foster nationalisms of their own in order to create a national identity and hence strengthen their country. That, of course, doesn’t take away from the fact that a Pashtun on either side of the border remains Pashtun. But, and I say this with caution, the government may try to overpower ethnic identity by creating allegiance to national identity instead.

With all of that said, of course I and many other Pashtuns will welcome our other Pashtun brothers and sisters with open arms if they want to be part of a new country. Let me tell you, this is not about getting a “green light” from Afghanistan no one in Afghanistan will say no because along with the people comes incredibly important territory. But there are a few factors that hinder this cross-border-Pashtun/Afghan-love: Non-Pashtun Pakistanis. Obviously, Pashtuns aren’t the only group in that region. What would happen to them? And obviously, there is no way in hell the Pakistani government would ever give up on that piece of land, and no way the Afghan government could force it to do so - yet - so these discussions are hypothetical.

In short: Yes, Pashtuns anywhere and Pashtuns just like us and while ideally, it would be great to have them all united as a country, it is not possible right now, realistically speaking, due to economic and political reasons.

Completely agree with all you have said but I, personally feel like all the things we need to fight for (Women's rights, economical stability, Education etc) lend heavily onto the existence of the border. I feel as if, without self determination for the Pashtuns on the Pakistani side, the situation wouldn't be able to improve. I'm a firm believer in self determination and self determination is never easy and has nearly always been opposed in history but when an ethnic group is harbouring terrorism in their ethnic area and are themselves an ethnic minority, being controlled by a foreign culture and a foreign people with no substantial say in the going ons of their land, biases will exist against them by the ethnic majority government.

Technically speaking, the Pashtuns on the Pakistani border wouldn't be embracing a new land or a new country considering Afghan and Pashtun have been synonymous historically and were seen to be one of the same before the partition. The way I see it, Afghanistan would be no longer occupied. The Durand line agreement pact expired in 1993 but no action was taken to restore it and give that area back.

In regards to your final two points, at the expense of repeating myself, self determination has never been easy and has nearly always been extensively fought for, with extreme opposition. Yes we are approaching a time where borders and identity and nationalities are merging and the line between them are blurring but i think, at this time, it is maybe even more crucial to be reunited. The idea of a Loy Afghanistan might not be politically or economically or realistically feasible, but self determination nearly never has been , people had to fight for it.

Insha'Alla che moonga loy shoo or aghay region wala sakhtee lag ghunay num shee or khalak sabak owaey or poy she che sa sa kol dee alta (so badly worded LOl)

(:
As if u would know, Afghan literally means Pashtun, the Persians called Pashtuns Afghans during the Khorasan empire. When my dad cooks Afghan food he says "look son this is real Pashtun food" when in actuality it's Tajik food like dum pukht and kabuli Palau.
In Afghan history, exactly, all Afghans suffer, not only pashtuns.

I think pashtuns in Pakistan joining Afghanistan is a much better option than a Pashtunistan.

Do Afghans really want it on their side? Not all of them and I believe not many do. A new country is going to be much more problematic. We cannot solve our problems by just ignoring them and placing a country on top. After all, it is the same people who will live there and the same neighbourhood countries.

Do you think the war will end with a new country? Do you think Pakistan will give up such a land? Do you think 'fighting' for the land wont cause so many death within pashtuns? Realistically i think stability should be our top priority.

You're not listening, how the hell are we going to gain stability, when Pakistan continues to destabilise the region. You call for stability, but don't you think that's what the Afghan government are trying to achieve. Has it worked, no despite the coalition govt promoting unity amongst ethnicities, the situation is even worse. Yes we will need to struggle for pashtunistan, and yes it will cost blood and some of us will be killed, but right now it is the only way out. We need to protest, organise and make people aware of Pakistans brutality.
You're not listening, how the hell are we going to gain stability, when Pakistan continues to destabilise the region. You call for stability, but don't you think that's what the Afghan government are trying to achieve. Has it worked, no despite the coalition govt promoting unity amongst ethnicities, the situation is even worse. Yes we will need to struggle for pashtunistan, and yes it will cost blood and some of us will be killed, but right now it is the only way out. We need to protest, organise and make people aware of Pakistans brutality.

Not including countries like Herat, Kabul etc in Pashtunistan is never going to work. A creation of Pashtunistan is going to be UNSTABLE.

if the afg government couldn't do it, what gives pashtunistan, a country with no government yet to create stability? What will it stand on? About stability of the region, I think people should work for it themselves instead of blaming pak for destabilising it. It is easy to point fingers if you do no work.

I think it is useless, the fact that it will cost blood will make it even worse. I know the brutality within the Pashtuns in Pak and I think that should be stopped first before wanting a creation of a new country. Pashtunistan is an idea which is far far from what we should be aiming for.
Completely agree with all you have said but I, personally feel like all the things we need to fight for (Women's rights, economical stability, Education etc) lend heavily onto the existence of the border. I feel as if, without self determination for the Pashtuns on the Pakistani side, the situation wouldn't be able to improve. I'm a firm believer in self determination and self determination is never easy and has nearly always been opposed in history but when an ethnic group is harbouring terrorism in their ethnic area and are themselves an ethnic minority, being controlled by a foreign culture and a foreign people with no substantial say in the going ons of their land, biases will exist against them by the ethnic majority government.

Technically speaking, the Pashtuns on the Pakistani border wouldn't be embracing a new land or a new country considering Afghan and Pashtun have been synonymous historically and were seen to be one of the same before the partition. The way I see it, Afghanistan would be no longer occupied. The Durand line agreement pact expired in 1993 but no action was taken to restore it and give that area back.

In regards to your final two points, at the expense of repeating myself, self determination has never been easy and has nearly always been extensively fought for, with extreme opposition. Yes we are approaching a time where borders and identity and nationalities are merging and the line between them are blurring but i think, at this time, it is maybe even more crucial to be reunited. The idea of a Loy Afghanistan might not be politically or economically or realistically feasible, but self determination nearly never has been , people had to fight for it.

Insha'Alla che moonga loy shoo or aghay region wala sakhtee lag ghunay num shee or khalak sabak owaey or poy she che sa sa kol dee alta (so badly worded LOl)

(:

Yes if people want it. Do every pashtun in Pak want it? Does every afghan on the other side want it? I think it would be amazing for the Pashtuns to join us. But I think we need to work within us before caring about the borders.

Think about it, if we do get the pashtuns in pak back, how will that help? Will the education increase? no. The Afg government cant even work and make a living for all the Afghans there let alone for another 29m joining. I do want this and I see a vision but not right now. I see no benefits within us. I think it was shed more blood and this will cause more problems eg less education for girls under war.

For now, the pashtuns need to work for themselves and fight within pak and Afg need to work on themselves.

We cannot put territorial expansion on the top of our priorities when the government barely manages to keep itself together!!!
Not including countries like Herat, Kabul etc in Pashtunistan is never going to work. A creation of Pashtunistan is going to be UNSTABLE.

if the afg government couldn't do it, what gives pashtunistan, a country with no government yet to create stability? What will it stand on? About stability of the region, I think people should work for it themselves instead of blaming pak for destabilising it. It is easy to point fingers if you do no work.

I think it is useless, the fact that it will cost blood will make it even worse. I know the brutality within the Pashtuns in Pak and I think that should be stopped first before wanting a creation of a new country. Pashtunistan is an idea which is far far from what we should be aiming for.

Really, we shouldn't blame Pakistan for creating the taliban, funding it etc. Yes Pashtunistan to begin with wont be very stable/prosperous but under the right leadership we can make it prosper. How do you suggest we fix the problems in our land, by "stopping the brutality within the pashtuns in pak" im guessing you're referring to the school massacre, in which my second cousin was killed, but how do you think it all started. Back in 2010 (before the pakistani taliban) Pakistan bombed the tribal areas in the name of killing Afghan Taliban members (the same organisation they founded and continue to fund) aswell as Al Qaeda (whose leader was coincidentally found in the capital, next to the biggest military base, in one of the most secure areas). Of course the bombings killed next to no taliban and only resulted in the killing of thousands of civillians and the formation of the pakistani taliban. Tell me, do you want our people and our land to stay like this for the next 100 years or so, because that's what Pakistan wants. We can make Pashtunistan a reality, in addition to fixing the rest of Afghanistan, but we need to protest, petition etc and put pressure on the government. Also Kabul was never ours we only conquered it for short periods of time, look online, most Tajiks want Khorasan, and why shouldn't they, every ethnicity has a right to its own country, look at what's happening with the Kurds etc. Also Pashtunistan would be united through pashtun nationalism. Once we have that we can exploit the huge mineral reserves in helmand, and we'd be able to almost single handedly dictate the export of lapis-lazuli.
Really, we shouldn't blame Pakistan for creating the taliban, funding it etc. Yes Pashtunistan to begin with wont be very stable/prosperous but under the right leadership we can make it prosper. How do you suggest we fix the problems in our land, by "stopping the brutality within the pashtuns in pak" im guessing you're referring to the school massacre, in which my second cousin was killed, but how do you think it all started. Back in 2010 (before the pakistani taliban) Pakistan bombed the tribal areas in the name of killing Afghan Taliban members (the same organisation they founded and continue to fund) aswell as Al Qaeda (whose leader was coincidentally found in the capital, next to the biggest military base, in one of the most secure areas). Of course the bombings killed next to no taliban and only resulted in the killing of thousands of civillians and the formation of the pakistani taliban. Tell me, do you want our people and our land to stay like this for the next 100 years or so, because that's what Pakistan wants. We can make Pashtunistan a reality, in addition to fixing the rest of Afghanistan, but we need to protest, petition etc and put pressure on the government. Also Kabul was never ours we only conquered it for short periods of time, look online, most Tajiks want Khorasan, and why shouldn't they, every ethnicity has a right to its own country, look at what's happening with the Kurds etc. Also Pashtunistan would be united through pashtun nationalism. Once we have that we can exploit the huge mineral reserves in helmand, and we'd be able to almost single handedly dictate the export of lapis-lazuli.

You know the bombing wont change even with the creation of Pashtunistan. They will still be the talibans, bombings etc. You think this will all go with a creation of Pashtunistan?
The SAME people will be living in Pash.

Also Kabul was never ours we only conquered it for short periods of time, look online, most Tajiks want Khorasan, and why shouldn't they, every ethnicity has a right to its own country, look at what's happening with the Kurds etc. Also Pashtunistan would be united through pashtun nationalism. Once we have that we can exploit the huge mineral reserves in helmand, and we'd be able to almost single handedly dictate the export of lapis-lazuli.

How can you speak for tajiks like that? I have both pashtun and tajik family and I see none wanting Khorasan. Tajiks wants an Afghanistan with Pashtuns in Pakistan joining them in Afghanistan

For your information pashtuns and tajiks aren't the only ethnic group in Afghanistan. This will create division between Afghans and I dont see the point.

I do want the independence of Kurdistan but I really don't want the separation of Afghanistan and I don't see it. If you talk to afghans, you will be the unity between the ethnic groups and even with division, they are together however it is made to be seen.
You know the bombing wont change even with the creation of Pashtunistan. They will still be the talibans, bombings etc. You think this will all go with a creation of Pashtunistan?
The SAME people will be living in Pash.

How can you speak for tajiks like that? I have both pashtun and tajik family and I see none wanting Khorasan. Tajiks wants an Afghanistan with Pashtuns in Pakistan joining them in Afghanistan

For your information pashtuns and tajiks aren't the only ethnic group in Afghanistan. This will create division between Afghans and I dont see the point.

I do want the independence of Kurdistan but I really don't want the separation of Afghanistan and I don't see it. If you talk to afghans, you will be the unity between the ethnic groups and even with division, they are together however it is made to be seen.

I'm sorry I've only ever met a few Tajiks in my life and even they were half Pashtun. I guess I assumed most Tajiks wanted independence because of the Tajik forums and stuff. Also yes I know there are other ethnicities in Afghanistan, I met a Hazara when I was in Dubai he spoke amazing pashto and I was really surprised, I was young and didn't know about other ethnicities in Afghanistan. Anyway I assumed that the minorities would be worried by the addition of so many Pashtuns and would fear they would me underrepresented. Of course I would prefer a loy Afghanistan either way I think they should get a referendum.

Independence would be huge in terms of the effect it would have on the terrorism issue as we could fence the border and at least hinder Pakistans movement a little. Also the Taliban would find less recruits as most of the Taliban are just fascist Pashtuns who at the very least would think twice about attacking a government that has reunited their people and significantly boosted Pashtun power and wealth. In addition to this Pakistan wouldn't be allowed to carry out attacks on the tribal region and would find it harder to fund them.
Reply 37
As a Pakistani pukhtoon I have yet to meet one of us that wants to leave Pakistan and join Afghanistan...
Original post by Gouki
As a Pakistani pukhtoon I have yet to meet one of us that wants to leave Pakistan and join Afghanistan...

Oh really I'm guessing you live in Peshwwar and have never had family members killed by the Pakistani government or the ISI created Taliban.
Reply 39
Oh really I'm guessing you live in Peshwwar and have never had family members killed by the Pakistani government or the ISI created Taliban.

I am not from Pekhawar, but what a lot of Afghans online can't seem to distinguish between is that whilst Pakistani pukhtoons may not be very fond of the Gov or Punjabis (for some reason we call all non-pukhtoons are Punjabi), we are very proud and happy to live in Pakistan.

Latest

Trending

Trending