The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexuality - biological, or a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
That is a self evident truth.

When people say "Not biology" they mean, generally speaking, they do not believe in the Sex police who all want us to wear little ribbons - straight, bi, homo and if any of us change from one ribbon to another we get shot down or arrested for un-biolocial behaviour.

Clearly, there are environmental switches that go off and on - gawd, its like arguing with someone with an agenda. Anyway who cares, I know I'm sort of right. Long live FREEDOM OF CHOICE. Down with SEX POLICE!

It's exactly like arguing with someone who has an agenda -_- yet they call out other people who have an agenda. anyway, I'm not arguing/debating anymore.
That's great for you. Maybe you should get back to your qualification instead of telling people that they cannot have their own truths
Great, thanks for analysing what is in my brain. I don't care enough about this to study in the detail you have..I worded my beliefs and that's it
I've studied psychology, I've studied sociology..I can formulate my own ideas, I dont need your patronising.
Original post by cherryred90s
If you believe he is wrong, so be it. If you believe I'm wrong, so be it. why does it have to such a big deal? there are many people in this world that believe it's choice..there are people who believe it to be down to biology. It's true that everyone's opinion should be respected, regardless of whether you have more knowledge on the topic than them. The reason why you find him to be repeating is because you cannot accept his opinion. you see it as factually incorrect, which is fine. Doesn't mean he's not entitled

I really think we should all put a period, and move on!

It's now how it works. He accused me of not being able to support what I say when, in reality, I did. All he says, on the other hand, is that "this is my opinion and this is my opinion". I asked him to explain himself (which is, well, what an argument is) and all he said yet again is "it's my opinion".

If you can't actually argue in favour of what you say and expect to rely on pathetic excuses like "it's my opinion", then don't accuse others of making plain assumptions and, well, don't post at all -forums are for people to discuss, not keep saying "this is what I believe: I can't support it, but I will definitely keep saying it's true".

I didn't ask him to change what he thinks. I asked him to support it. When he wasn't able to, he started using excuses and how I avoid the topic (the latter of which is laughable). No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
t'':rolleyes: you that that as if it what you were explaining is fact.

well yes it is a fact.
Reply 585
Its seems some people think if you are gay because of genetics, that is better than being gay out of choice.

This is not about why homosexuality occurs but about peoples' attitudes to it.

Why is one better than the other? What is wrong in someone choosing to be gay rather than it being a genetic pre-disposition?
Reply 586
You're either sexually attracted to the same sex or you are not.

I'm not sure where choice comes into it.

I'm also not sure how one thing could be better than another, when it shouldn't matter in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't always have to be sexually attracted to the same sex to be in a gay relationship. Some people are attracted to the actual person/soul/spirit and it just so happens that they are the same gender. Anyway, back to your post, I don't think it should matter either way :smile: xx
Original post by Lt.Hartigan
O...kay.

I thought we had moved past the whole "Born this way" thing but I guess not?

most psychologists and sexuality researchers believe that being gay results from a complex interaction between genetics, biological factors other than genetics (prenatal hormones and brain structure), and psychological/environmental factors. Little to no choice involved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and...

These are facts, the overwhelming majority support this.
Reply 589
Nothing. This is why I dislike justifying homosexuality with the 'born this way' argument because it needs no justification in the first place. It's no better or worse than heterosexuality.
It's not about that.

It's more about firstly, it's incorrect for the majority of gay people (at least).
Also saying that gay people chose this way, even more so because it's wrong, discredits many arguments.
People could take it that it further supports how "unnatural" it is.

tl;dr: It's wrong and a destructive view.
well, of course I'll defend my opinion, but I no longer wish to debate about this, you think this, I think that. it's a lost cause
Well the distinction must be made between actually choosing to be gay and choosing to live a "gay lifestyle" as some people crudely put it: marrying and/or having a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex. But you are incorrect in implying that there is nothing wrong about either option.
This thread title is extremely misleading as it implies that if homosexuality isn't biological that it must be a choice. This is a fallacy. It can be both non-biological and still be involuntary.
Original post by cherryred90s
well, of course I'll defend my opinion, but I no longer wish to debate about this, you think this, I think that. it's a lost cause

FYI - repeating "I believe this" is not debating.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
FYI - repeating "I believe this" is not debating.

Thanks
Neither is better than the other. Just one is more factually accurate than the other. There is no credible evidence that suggests choice. BUT if people could choose that wouldn't change anything. Homosexuals would still be deserving of equal status, rights, and respect.
Reply 597
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Neither is better than the other. Just one is more factually accurate than the other. There is no credible evidence that suggests choice. BUT if people could choose that wouldn't change anything. Homosexuals would still be deserving of equal status, rights, and respect.

Exceptionally Well said
Reply 598
Original post by The Mighty Mitch
most psychologists and sexuality researchers believe that being gay results from a complex interaction between genetics, biological factors other than genetics (prenatal hormones and brain structure), and psychological/environmental factors. Little to no choice involved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and...

These are facts, the overwhelming majority support this.

'Despite obvious theoretical and empirical weaknesses, the claims that certain genes cause homosexuality have been seized upon and vigorously promoted by many in the lesbian and gay rights movement (especially in the US). The haste with which these unproven, questionable theories have been embraced suggests a terrible lack of self-confidence and a rather sad, desperate need to justify queer desire. It's almost as if those pushing these theories believe we don't deserve human rights unless we can prove that we are born gay and that our homosexuality is beyond our control: 'We can't help being fags and dykes, so please don't treat us badly.' This seems to be the pleading, defensive sub-text of much of the pro-gay gene thesis.'
'Surely we merit human rights because we are human beings? The cause of our homosexuality is irrelevant to our quest for justice. We are entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of whether we are born queer or made queer, and irrespective of whether our homosexuality is something beyond our control or something freely chosen.'

Peter Tatchell Gay Rights Campaigner does not agree with gay gene theory, I am no homophobic.
'Born or Made Gay? Biology is not destiny Genes and hormones cannot explain the complexity of human sexuality'
http://www.petertatchell.net/lgbt_rights/gay_gene/borngay.htm

Homosexuality requires no explanation or anyone approval it has always been apart of human life since the dinosaurs.
Reply 599

Could you post a link or quote supporting that, it is a fact that Peter Tatchell does not agree with gay gene idea infact he feels it is insulting, that adult human beings who engages in activity harms no one feels compelled to scientifcally explain it.
If someone is gay they are gay leave them alone.
Homosexuality requires no explanation or anyone approval it has always been apart of human life since the dinosaurs.

Latest

Trending

Trending