The Student Room Group

Gay bakeries refuse a Christian man service- oh the hypocrisy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zachary T-H
The christian bakery: The christian bakery refused service to a lesbian couple to bake them a cake for their wedding, they refused the service to these people on the grounds of their sexuality. The cake was not offensive intrinsically, it was the client that the baker took offense to.

They refused on the basis of their beliefs

The gay bakeries: the gay bakeries refused to make a cake for a man, who happened to be christian, that was pro traditional marriage (e.g anti gay marriage) they refused to make this man a cake not because he was a christian (they would of refused service to a pro traditional marriage atheist) but because the cake was offensive.

A cake encouraging marriage between a man and a woman isn't intrinsically offensive to anyone, they chose to take offence.

see your hypocrisy and doublethink? It is a common issue with leftists
Original post by *Stefan*
Yes, take it on its own, if it suits you agenda.

If you claim to be a Christian, then please let me tell you that what you do is completely different from what Jesus has said. This is pure hypocrisy to me.

Once again you're speaking through your own misguided prejudices, I'm not a Christian, but it says a lot about you that you assume I am because I pointed out gays can be just as hateful, ignorant and intolerant as anybody else.

Respect goes both ways, and gays and atheists show a shocking lack of respect towards religious lifestyles
Original post by Lefty Tears
You really have no objective evidence for this, I can easily say it usually aggresive gays who go around pushing their sexuality in everybodies faces and anybody who is uncomfortable with it is hounded, bullied, mocked and hated. Christians in particular get loads of abuse off gays yet they almost never complain about Muslims, Hindus or all the other religions who disapprove or their lifestyle.

As a gay man myself I must point out that your argument is a total farce. gay people (my self included) dislike all religions who try to demonize us equally. The Muslim faith has been under particularly strong fire recently, more so than Christianity, due to the throwing of homosexuals off roofs by ISIS. I don't go out and hound people because of their beliefs but as soon as someone looks down on me based on my sexuality I will confront them! Is it really to be expected that gay people should like religion when many people quote their hatred from Leviticus which also bans the consumption of selfish and the wearing of mixed fibers. That is an example of double standard for OP- religious people selectively following the word of god.
Reply 43
Once again you're speaking through your own misguided prejudices, I'm not a Christian, but it says a lot about you that you assume I am because I pointed out gays can be just as hateful, ignorant and intolerant as anybody else.

Respect goes both ways, and gays and atheists show a shocking lack of respect towards religious lifestyles

"Misguided prejudices"... If you expect me to take you seriously here, I can tell you that I am not. You judge me for making assumptions, yet you call me ignorant, misguided (according to whom?) and prejudiced. This only further shows your hypocrisy.

Well, I've not heard gays and atheists killing religious people because of their beliefs, whilst I have heard many, many, many times of religious people killing gays and atheists.

There may indeed be unfair treatment on both sides, but, overall, religious people have shown hell of a lot more lack of respect to gays and atheists, than the other way round. And don't tell me this is an assumption and whatnot, regardless of what you try to persuade yourself into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They refused on the basis of their beliefs

A cake encouraging marriage between a man and a woman isn't intrinsically offensive to anyone, they chose to take offence.

see your hypocrisy and doublethink? It is a common issue with leftists

That isn't a hypocrisy.... the cake is intrinsically offensive to gay people as "pro traditional marriage" translates as marriage between a man and a women (thus essentially saying that they aren't allowed to get married, it is implicit homophobia).

I hate to disappoint you but I'm actually a fully paid up conservative and sit on my local branch associations committee... People like you give the party a bad name, you should have focus on issues like the economy and education, not whether two individuals in love should be allowed to marry.
"Misguided prejudices"... If you expect me to take you seriously here, I can tell you that I am not. You judge me for making assumptions, yet you call me ignorant, misguided (according to whom?) and prejudiced. This only further shows your hypocrisy.

Well, I've not heard gays and atheists killing religious people because of their beliefs, whilst I have heard many, many, many times of religious people killing gays and atheists.

There may indeed be unfair treatment on both sides, but, overall, religious people have shown hell of a lot more lack of respect to gays and atheists, than the other way round. And don't tell me this is an assumption and whatnot, regardless of what you try to persuade yourself into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats an easy cop out answer, Christianity has been the dominant religion in Europe for a very long time, leftist atheism and the gay identity didn't really exist untill the 20th centry. Of course there is more history of bigotry on the religion side. Wait a hundred years or so and it will likely balance out, things go in cycles. Christians were persecuted all the time before they became the dominant religion in the Roman empire
That isn't a hypocrisy.... the cake is intrinsically offensive to gay people as "pro traditional marriage" translates as marriage between a man and a women (thus essentially saying that they aren't allowed to get married, it is implicit homophobia).

I hate to disappoint you but I'm actually a fully paid up conservative and sit on my local branch associations committee... People like you give the party a bad name, you should have focus on issues like the economy and education, not whether two individuals in love should be allowed to marry.

No it isn't, its encouraging traditional marriage between a man and a woman and the values that come from it. Gays might choose to take offence from that

Uh sure okay, but I'm not a member of the Conservative party, I left because people like you infected them
Reply 47
Is TSR only catching onto the Ashers bakery cake incident in N.I now? That's older news here now, we're too busy talking about our resigned Health Minister and his views on gay people.
Reply 48
Thats an easy cop out answer, Christianity has been the dominant religion in Europe for a very long time, leftist atheism and the gay identity didn't really exist untill the 20th centry. Of course there is more history of bigotry on the religion side. Wait a hundred years or so and it will likely balance out, things go in cycles. Christians were persecuted all the time before they became the dominant religion in the Roman empire

"Of course there is more history of bigotry on the religion side."? I refer to the last 10 years. No need to go back to the crusades (did I really need to say this though? I thought you'd get it...)

That's not an answer at all after all.

(By the way, I repeat that I am a Christian myself. I and many others, Christians as well, know how to respect EVERYONE about their lifestyle, orientation, beliefs etc. You, not being a Christian yourself, telling me how a Christian should behave is at least laughable.)
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
This experiment proves beyond doubt that the gay agenda is not just about their freedom to practice a sexual orientation, but the suppression of free speech.

What does this even mean? What free speech? The freedom to make cakes? Why do gays want to suppress free speech?
Are you telling me that I can't presume someone's lack of intelligence if they believe that the earth is flat? They believe something that isn't true, similarly the bible teaches us that the world was created 10,000 years ago, this is also untrue. A belief in something that is false is a strong indicator of a lack of intelligence.

Straw manning to the very last I see. The man, I'm the video, which sparked this debate, is not a creationist. I am not a creationist or religious. I have 14 A*s at GCSE. I am predicted AAAA and then A*A*A* but please, doubt my intelligence all you wish.
Reply 51
No it isn't, its encouraging traditional marriage between a man and a woman and the values that come from it. Gays might choose to take offence from that

Uh sure okay, but I'm not a member of the Conservative party, I left because people like you infected them

And I shall repeat, there is no traditional marriage. There have been forms of marriage from Classical Greece, between man and man. Who are you to object this?

You see... this is what I mean by religious hatred. And then you expect people to respect you? Please.
"Of course there is more history of bigotry on the religion side."? I refer to the last 10 years. No need to go back to the crusades (did I really need to say this though? I thought you'd get it...)

That's not an answer at all after all.

(By the way, I repeat that I am a Christian myself. I and many others, Christians as well, know how to respect EVERYONE about their lifestyle, orientation, beliefs etc. You, not being a Christian yourself, telling me how a Christian should behave is at least laughable.)

Oh if you mean in the last 10 years, there are plenty of cases of gays attacking, raping, abusing children, bullying, sometimes murdering straight people, how laughable you are

I'm not telling Christians how to act, I'm telling you that gays are capable of the same hated as anyone else.
And I shall repeat, there is no traditional marriage. There have been forms of marriage from Classical Greece, between man and man. Who are you to object this?

You see... this is what I mean by religious hatred. And then you expect people to respect you? Please.

There is abviously a traditional marriage which most of society is built on, between a man and a woman, usually to have legitimate children, thats what they wanted a cake promoting, nobody denied other unions existing. You're a bit dull
Reply 54
Oh if you mean in the last 10 years, there are plenty of cases of gays attacking, raping, abusing children, bullying, sometimes murdering straight people, how laughable you are

I'm not telling Christians how to act you cross worshipping little faggot, I'm telling you that gays are capable of the same hated as anyone else.

I'll ignore your insults, because obviously you're not at all mature to avoid the deep ad-hominems.

And of course we come back to the fact that you can't support your argument.

How is "gays murdering staight people" relevant? Even if it was, link a single proof from a site, stating that the gay person killed the straight person because the former hated the latter. The only laughable one here is you, claiming all this BS without any basis. I'm probably wasting my time here, aren't I?

Gays as people? Of course they are. They are humans after all. What does this have to do with the original point?

All you do is keep twisting words, rephrasing them, and make them suit your own agenda. You make this "argument" a child's play for me.
That isn't quite hypocrisy is it? The christian bakery refused to make a cake for the gay people because of their sexuality, the gay bakery refused to make a cake for a christian, not because he was a christian, but because the cake was offensive...

BTW, I would consider changing your name on here, to be as clever as an anti-semite is not a good thing.

The Christians didn't refuse because he was gay, he refused because he disagreed with the political message. I myself wouldn't refuse but there are things like Pro-Choice I would refuse. If I as a heterosexual man wanted the cake they would of also refused.
Reply 56
There is abviously a traditional marriage which most of society is built on, between a man and a woman, usually to have legitimate children, thats what they wanted a cake promoting, nobody denied other unions existing. You're a bit dull

There is no such thing as traditional marriage, no matter what you speak of it. This institution existed way before any religion, and it knew no boundaries to same-sex marriages (because homosexuality and heterosexuality did not even exist as concepts). You are not authorised by anyone to state what is traditional and what is not.

Out of curiosity, if not Christian, what do you believe in? You called me "cross worshipping little faggot", which -aside from your immaturity-suggests that you are religious. (And yes, I am cross worshipping and have sided with the devil on this one
:rofl:)

The only reason I am a bit "dull" is because you can't give a straight answer... only people who can't argue resort to such pathetic claims.

It's a fair point but all of this reaction seeking from politically active people does get a bit tiresome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, the Conservative party is singular, if I infected anything I would of infected "it" not "them". Infected? Infected with what? My (evidently) superior intelligence? I haven't ever raised any LGBT issues in my time in the conservative party, I have simply discussed important political issues, my sexuality has no affect on my ability to do so.
Original post by Crawfordladd17
The Christians didn't refuse because he was gay, he refused because he disagreed with the political message. I myself wouldn't refuse but there are things like Pro-Choice I would refuse. If I as a heterosexual man wanted the cake they would of also refused.

I don't know if we are talking about the same case here? I'm talking about the lesbian couple who were refused a wedding cake- there was no political message.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/aaron-and-melissa-klein-antigay-bakers-ordered-to-pay-135000-after-refusing-to-make-cake-for-samesex-wedding-10205376.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending