The Student Room Group

Are anti-feminists sexist beasts or just stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Anti-feminists are just men who have swallowed the red pill and seen the truth about our hypergamy society.
Anti-feminist == anti-third wave feminism, not anti-men/women equality
Feminism does not just mean “being in favour of equal rights for both sexes”. Perhaps it used to mean that once upon a time, but the meanings of words evolve with common usage - pretty much nobody understands it that way anymore.

In Western culture nowadays, pretty much everyone believes in equal rights for both sexes. But they don’t all call themselves “feminists”, they just think of themselves as normal people like anyone else.

Feminism nowadays refers to a particular left wing extremist movement of political activism It is characterised by things like:
- Belief in the existence of a “patriarchy”
- Belief in socially engineered equality of outcome rather than accepting the natural result of equal rights and opportunities with freedom of choice (e.g. quotas for women in certain professions).
- Enforcement of laws and social values and certain types of censorship that favour women, and particularly their feelings (e.g. regarding abortion, prevention of rape and conviction of rapists)
- Strong alliances with LGBT movements that hold similar values
- Identity politics in general.

Most people who talk about feminism nowadays (including when describing themselves as feminists) are talking about something like the above.
Who is this comment aimed at exactly?

(Original post by maxiea)I thought1) this is a forum for debate, and 2) I am probably 40 years older than you are and have been through a lot, and 3) I like macho loking bodies: what is your problem with that? "dear"?" Further, your refusal to answer my simple questions makes me believe that you and I could never reasonably debate this--because you dpn't see this as a forum for argument, just for stupid standing up for your macho (if sexy, especially if you're seventeen and stupid, your opinion)! !And why are you so hostile? Not geting suck ed off by your girl. I'll do it, even if you are a moron. i bet you're hot.
(edited 5 years ago)
I agree. Ofcourse most people believe in equality and fairness and equal rights for sex, race, age nationality etc. People who believe that do not have to label themselves feminists. The term is redundant now.
Feminism was born in a time women did not have ANY rights, women could not even vote or enter the work place. Female writers would have to use pen names. Feminism meant standing up for women to have the same rights as men. But now we have the same rights. Now women can vote and enter a profession the same as a man. And we have laws in order to protect females from discrimination.
But feminism now and the movement means something else entirely. Even the old school feminists such a Germain Greer and Camille Paglia oppose the 3rd wave movement of feminism. Now it means something else entirely. Majority of people who label themselves feminists now are reactionary attention seeking social justice warriors who did not get enough attention from mommy and daddy and now use feminism as a movement that gives them significance and much needed narcissistic supply.
I used to call myself a feminist back in the day but i see now it means something else now and has been hijacked by emotionally unstable narcissists who make it about something else rather than gender equality it’s a movement. The hypocrisy of people in this movement now is outstanding. There was a group of women who label themselves feminists and who are pro life and because they are pro life they were told to leave by the women’s march by these facist dictators who run these feminist groups and apparantly speak on behalf of all feminists they were told
to leave because they are pro life and according to these meglomaniacs you are not allowed to be pro life and a feminist. Feminists have to be pro abortion now apparently. What a ****ing joke these people are oppressing women on their stance on abortion. What a dictatorship. What your views on abortion are, are separate from seeking gender equality, but the feminist movement now is about so much more than that. So even tho I believe in gender equality especially since i am a woman, i would never label myself a feminist now as it means something else entirely.

(Original post by tazarooni89)Feminism does not just mean “being in favour of equal rights for both sexes”. Perhaps it used to mean that once upon a time, but the meanings of words evolve with common usage - pretty much nobody understands it that way anymore.

In Western culture nowadays, pretty much everyone believes in equal rights for both sexes. But they don’t all call themselves “feminists”, they just think of themselves as normal people like anyone else.

Feminism nowadays refers to a particular left wing extremist movement of political activism It is characterised by things like:
- Belief in socially engineered equality of outcome rather than accepting the natural result of equal rights and opportunities with freedom of choice (e.g. quotas for women in certain professions).
- Enforcement of laws and social values and certain types of censorship that favour women, and particularly their feelings (e.g. regarding abortion, prevention of rape and conviction of rapists)

Most people who talk about feminism nowadays (including when describing themselves as feminists) are talking about something like the above.
I agree. Ofcourse most people believe in equality and fairness and equal rights for sex, race, age nationality etc. People who believe that do not have to label themselves feminists. The term is redundant now.
Feminism was born in a time women did not have ANY rights, women could not even vote or enter the work place. Female writers would have to use pen names. Feminism meant standing up for women to have the same rights as men. But now we have the same rights. Now women can vote and enter a profession the same as a man. And we have laws in order to protect females from discrimination.
But feminism now and the movement means something else entirely. Even the old school feminists such a Germain Greer and Camille Paglia oppose the 3rd wave movement of feminism. Now it means something else entirely. Majority of people who label themselves feminists now are reactionary attention seeking social justice warriors who did not get enough attention from mommy and daddy and now use feminism as a movement that gives them significance and much needed narcissistic supply. They think they can compare themselves to the original feminists women who have no rights and women like the suffragettes who had to fight for the right to vote, women like Emmeline Pankhurst who were sent to prison repeatedly for fighting for equal rights, women who had to stage hunger strikes to secure better conditions in prison. Women like Emily Davison who threw herself in front of the king’s horse at Epsom in 1913 and died to fight for women to have rights and the right to vote. Feminism meant fighting for women’s rights back in the day and the movement was needed then and meant something different then something significant and worthwhile. Emily Davison who died for women’s rights was a staunch feminist but also a staunch Christian, because of her religious views she would not be accepted in todays movement. So there in lies the irony. The women before would not recognise the feminists of today... the ones who tell women what they have to believe in and what politics they should be following and how they can not be pro life for example if they want to call themselves feminists. They insult the women who fought for women to have a choice and a right to believe and follow whatever they wanted and believed in.
I used to call myself a feminist back in the day but i see now it means something else now and has been hijacked by emotionally unstable narcissists who make it about something else rather than gender equality it’s a movement. The hypocrisy of people in this movement now is outstanding. There was a group of women who label themselves feminists and who are pro life and because they are pro life they were told to leave by the women’s march by these facist dictators who run these feminist groups and apparantly speak on behalf of all feminists they were told
to leave because they are pro life and according to these meglomaniacs you are not allowed to be pro life and a feminist. Feminists have to be pro abortion now apparently. What a ****ing joke these people are oppressing women on their stance on abortion. What a dictatorship. What your views on abortion are, are separate from seeking gender equality, but the feminist movement now is about so much more than that. So even tho I believe in gender equality especially since i am a woman, i would never label myself a feminist now as it means something else entirely.

(Original post by tazarooni89)Feminism does not just mean “being in favour of equal rights for both sexes”. Perhaps it used to mean that once upon a time, but the meanings of words evolve with common usage - pretty much nobody understands it that way anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending