The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should inheritance be banished?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaronlowe
No, God is something to be loved. Fear is a negative poisonous emotion and IS the route of all 'evil' I believe. Otherwise I don't think there are 'evil' people any more than there are disabled people.

There are not disabled people, only people living with a disability. That disability doesn't disable the person. It offers the wrong perception and imprisons people with disabilities in a world of clawing sympathy.

I think we should judge people's behaviour and not the person. Tackle the behaviour. If you label someone as 'evil' and they believe you then they will think they have to be evil. You haven't offered them an alternative.

If you say to them, you are not evil but your actions have been bad you offer them a choice. Otherwise if we made one mistake we'd be doomed to a life of damnation.

i agree but don't think it really is going to solve a psychopath. Some people are just pure evil? History has shown that time and time again. The world is too complex.
Reply 41
Original post by Bill_Gates
i agree but don't think it really is going to solve a psychopath. Some people are just pure evil? History has shown that time and time again. The world is too complex.

Someone suffering from psychosis is someone who lacks the ability to understand the consequences of their actions. Technically all children are psychopaths lol

Yet, using patience and love we guide children to a life that is socially acceptable. The one difference is their ability to adapt and learn.

Recently scientists have discovered how to trigger the brains child-like state of adaptance and learning. So, the way to rehabilitate psychopaths is simply to chemically reactivate their ability to absorb new ways of thinking and then support them to a healthy way to live.

See, the way is clear if we have the will.

Edit:
Also, happiness (i.e. the chemicals that trigger happiness like dopamine, seratonin etc) have been found to be necessary chemical constructs in the building of new neuron links. That is why is is essential for a child to be happy to learn. Punishment and pain actually prevent learning - a biological fact.

Edit Edit:
Also, another study showed then petting a dog in reading classes greatly increased children's ability to absorb information in story reading classes. Yet most schools have a non-pet policy. It's not like we don't know the right ways forward, we simply choose not to take them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
I am the named benefactor of an inter vivos trust after my father got legal advise on a house sale. It's a 'legal' way to avoid paying inheritance tax but also protects my father's investment should I die before him.

Presumably a non-inheritance state would disallow trusts that have benefactors in a different name of the one setting up the trust.

I'm not saying it should be one way or the other, just exploring what benefits and pitfalls would occur if we went down that route.

By doing that you would essentially wipe out trusts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone suffering from psychosis is someone who lacks the ability to understand the consequences of their actions. Technically all children are psychopaths lol

Yet, using patience and love we guide children to a life that is socially acceptable. The one difference is their ability to adapt and learn.

Recently scientists have discovered how to trigger the brains child-like state of adaptance and learning. So, the way to rehabilitate psychopaths is simply to chemically reactivate their ability to absorb new ways of thinking and then support them to a healthy way to live.

See, the way is clear if we have the will.

Edit:
Also, happiness (i.e. the chemicals that trigger happiness like dopamine, seratonin etc) have been found to be necessary chemical constructs in the building of new neuron links. That is why is is essential for a child to be happy to learn. Punishment and pain actually prevent learning - a biological fact.

Edit Edit:
Also, another study showed then petting a dog in reading classes greatly increased children's ability to absorb information in story reading classes. Yet most schools have a non-pet policy. It's not like we don't know the right ways forward, we simply choose not to take them.

thing is
1. you can't always control a child's environment - if the parents are racist, the children are likely to be too.
2. the nature of capitalism means not all children have access to adequate resources (this will change over time)
3. Majority of offenders go on to re-offend. Regardless of what therapy, medicine is offered.
Reply 44
Original post by Bill_Gates
thing is
1. you can't always control a child's environment - if the parents are racist, the children are likely to be too.
2. the nature of capitalism means not all children have access to adequate resources (this will change over time)
3. Majority of offenders go on to re-offend. Regardless of what therapy, medicine is offered.

1. I think if the nature of society was fundamentally changed on the level being explored then then racism would be moot.
2. ditto 1.
3. I think the main reason they reoffend is society doesn't give them much other choice.

e.g. a) you steal cause you're broke and desperate and you want the things other people have. b) You get caught and go to jail. c) When you get out nobody will employ you and you lost your flat and all your possessions after the arrest. d) repeat from step a.

In a more progressive society it would be like this:
a) you steal cause you're broke and desperate and you want the things other people have. b) You're caught and sentenced to jail. c) but instead of being sent to jail you're ordered to follow a rehabilitation program with strict conditions not to reoffend or you'll go to jail. d) in the rehabilitation program they explore why you did what you did and what alternatives there are so when your sentence ends you're prepared to live in society. e) therefore you don't go back round to a and save society a ton of money on expensive prison costs

Fact is, the reason why people commit crimes is because the system is stupid. It take stupid, strips it down, and pimps up a whole new stupider stupid :lol:

Edit:
And in a more sensible progressive society: a) you were brought up in school that taught the value of human life and how society is both a responsibility and a springboard for your dreams, b) you are taught about the laws so you know how to avoid breaking them, c) you are taught social skills to build your confidence so you can succeed in the world, d) you never get desperate in the first place. Duh!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Wade-
By doing that you would essentially wipe out trusts
Posted from TSR Mobile

So be it. It they can only be used to abuse the tax system then what good are they. I bet the only reason the government allows them is to enable their middle class chums to keep all their dirty money.
1. I think if the nature of society was fundamentally changed on the level being explored then then racism would be moot.
2. ditto 1.
3. I think the main reason they reoffend is society doesn't give them much other choice.

e.g. a) you steal cause you're broke and desperate and you want the things other people have. b) You get caught and go to jail. c) When you get out nobody will employ you and you lost your flat and all your possessions after the arrest. d) repeat from step a.

In a more progressive society it would be like this:
a) you steal cause you're broke and desperate and you want the things other people have. b) You're caught and sentenced to jail. c) but instead of being sent to jail you're ordered to follow a rehabilitation program with strict conditions not to reoffend or you'll go to jail. d) in the rehabilitation program they explore why you did what you did and what alternatives there are so when your sentence ends you're prepared to live in society. e) therefore you don't go back round to a and save society a ton of money on expensive prison costs

Fact is, the reason why people commit crimes is because the system is stupid. It take stupid, strips it down, and pimps up a whole new stupider stupid :lol:

Edit:
And in a more sensible progressive society: a) you were brought up in school that taught the value of human life and how society is both a responsibility and a springboard for your dreams, b) you are taught about the laws so you know how to avoid breaking them, c) you are taught social skills to build your confidence so you can succeed in the world, d) you never get desperate in the first place. Duh!!!!!

ok interesting but the nut cases who shoot up schools tend to come from very comfortable middle class lives and have other issues such as not fitting in, girlfriend/boyfriend issues etc. Even the countries with extremely forgiving attitudes to offenders and excellent facilities still do not completely rehabilitate individuals (although i note they do have lower rates). I still don't buy into the whole idea.

Still think we would have other forms of violence, religion, colour etc. You simply can't eradicate these through extreme environmental changes. It's just with the notion of the left you ask for complete control and eventually you intrude on people's lives and "freedoms". It's much too idealistic however we do regardless 100% need a more caring society.
Reply 47
well, until we try these things we never know.

There was a state in America that tried schooling children from the age of 8. If that was suggested over here it'd be vetoed before it got past stage 0.

The kids had plenty of time to be kids. They joined stateschool at 8 and by the time they were 16 they'd caught up with their counterparts in other states. Scientists found they were a lot more emotionally stable than average kids, and generally smarter too.

So, who'd a thunk it! Our relentless drive to shove rubbish into our kids heads is killing their motivation and drive. Could crime be a symptom of our collective stupidity too???
(edited 8 years ago)
Utopian nonsense.
I love this post. You really got my cogs turning :smile:

Let me see - the incentive would be worked into the minds of our children at school. The definition of a good person would be a productive person for society as a whole. I hope I don't sound too communist lol

The state would have an absolute responsibility to the citizen and the citizen would have an absolute responsibility to the state. Physical assets would be stripped, divided and fed back into the society so that there was no wastage.

Sentimental items would not have any meaning, since the state/individual relationship would replace the sense of family. Family would then be seen as an eccentric emotional luxury, to be sympothised with maybe, but not encouraged. After all, the whole of society would be your family. Every man and woman would be your brother and sister.

that communist mindset rofl

yes it has been tried in china and russia in the past look at history but now they realized how inefficeint their communist 'everyone is equal' thing is, they are all moving towards a free market economy. The idea might sound sound in theory, but it doesn't work in practice.

indoctrinating children and citizens in the communist mindset can't give them as much incentive as the free market selfish incentive forces. China, Russia, definitely had their propaganda and did that in the past but it will NEVER come close to providing the same incentive as a free market economy
Absolutely not. I ve inhertied 25k in the last 10 years but that wont get me very far in life except towards a deposit and a wedding.

Do people not deserve to pass money onto their children/grandchildren? The relatives i inhertied from worked all their lives so cant see why anyone would have an issue:tongue:
Reply 51
Original post by IFapToEquations
indoctrinating children and citizens in the communist mindset can't give them as much incentive as the free market selfish incentive forces. China, Russia, definitely had their propaganda and did that in the past but it will NEVER come close to providing the same incentive as a free market economy

But we are already thoroughly indoctrinated. Do I have to give examples? And propaganda is rife. It's called the BBC (or any other state sponsored media outlet. Why do you think they call it a TV program??? Cause it's for programming your minds. Why is it called a soap??? Cause it's for brainwashing, duh!

If it happens anyway then that part I'm suggesting isn't new. The problem is we use greed as the main incentive for a capitalist society. No wonder there's wars and crime. It's everyone for themselves and **** the consequences!
Reply 52
Original post by claireestelle
Absolutely not. I ve inhertied 25k in the last 10 years but that wont get me very far in life except towards a deposit and a wedding.

Do people not deserve to pass money onto their children/grandchildren? The relatives i inhertied from worked all their lives so cant see why anyone would have an issue:tongue:

Never said they didn't deserve it. Just exploring whether they'd be better off without it. Isn't it just a little short sighted to only look at what you have to gain in the short term???
But we are already thoroughly indoctrinated. Do I have to give examples? And propaganda is rife. It's called the BBC (or any other state sponsored media outlet. Why do you think they call it a TV program??? Cause it's for programming your minds. Why is it called a soap??? Cause it's for brainwashing, duh!

If it happens anyway then that part I'm suggesting isn't new. The problem is we use greed as the main incentive for a capitalist society. No wonder there's wars and crime. It's everyone for themselves and **** the consequences!

I never said we weren't indoctrinated. If you react with any form of media, you will be affected by it, and media will be biased towards the agenda or creating a perception that they want the general public to have.

If you think communism works, you are a moron. 'Omfg greed is the main incentive', yeah would you rather have the society now where everyone is greedy, and some people have to get by on benefits, or have britain turn into africa and have everyone living off $2 a day because everyone is too lazy to work and there is a lack of provision of any decent goods or services
Never said they didn't deserve it. Just exploring whether they'd be better off without it. Isn't it just a little short sighted to only look at what you have to gain in the short term???

I think my situation is different i suppose as i grew up till a sudden death not expecting to ever inherit anything. Children do need to be taught the value of money but stopping inheritance wouldnt solve that completely.
Take it or not, I don't think Greed is bad in any way. It is a fundamental part of human nature, like anger, but what the free market does is turn greed into a force where EVERYONE benefits from it in terms of a higher standard of living.

If you have the ability to think logically or even studied economics at gcse level, then you would realize how ridiculous your ideas sound.
Reply 56
If you think communism works, you are a moron.

To be honest I don't know much about Communism except it's about people sharing wealth (the evil audacity of it!!!). I've heard it didn't quite work in practice because of something called corruption. Same could be said of democracy.

'Omfg greed is the main incentive', yeah would you rather have the society now where everyone is greedy, and some people have to get by on benefits, or have britain turn into africa and have everyone living off $2 a day because everyone is too lazy to work and there is a lack of provision of any decent goods or services

Er, are you being sarcastic? That's the way it is now!!! Is for me anyway. What do you live in, a mansion??? :lol:

There was a state in America that tried schooling children from the age of 8. If that was suggested over here it'd be vetoed before it got past stage 0.

The kids had plenty of time to be kids. They joined stateschool at 8 and by the time they were 16 they'd caught up with their counterparts in other states. Scientists found they were a lot more emotionally stable than average kids, and generally smarter too.

Source? But even if it was true, I'm not surprised, since you don't really do any proper learning at school up until GCSES start where you start to do some light-learning. If all schools had the mindset of an elite school and pretty much forced the children to work 6 hours of productive studying a day (no bull**** projects like groupwork posters and presentations, but focused, deliberate-practice with the sole purpose of getting smarter) as soon as they can speak and gradually increasing as they get older, this would be different. Missing 3 years of that kind of education would be a big setback.
Reply 58
Source?

One of the million documentaries I've watched in my life. Even google can't narrow it down :lol:
To be honest I don't know much about Communism except it's about people sharing wealth (the evil audacity of it!!!). I've heard it didn't quite work in practice because of something called corruption. Same could be said of democracy.
Er, are you being sarcastic? That's the way it is now!!! Is for me anyway. What do you live in, a mansion??? :lol:

No, it didn't work because people have no incentive to do better, no incentive to innovate, no free market forces that drive efficiency.

I do not live in a mansion. I live in a boarding school where I am getting value education for my parents moneys worth.

Latest

Trending

Trending