The Student Room Group

What social class am I?

Scroll to see replies

I will always class myself as working class. To me it's more about culture and family than my career or income. That might be incorrect according to the law, but I identify as working class and working class alone despite the fact I went to a Russell Group University and I'm about to do my postgraduate course in teaching. I may be middle class in terms of my education and one day my salary, but culturally I never will be middle class.
Out of curiousity, which would you say I am? My parents recently separated and I live with my mum, I think my dad earns around £50k as a quantity surveyor and my mum doesn't work so her income is maintence and benefits. Neither of my parents have a proper degree and I go to a state school. So most of that seems working class but everyone in my family is educated and knowledgeable about things like literature, history and politics, my parents read The Times and we definitely have more of a middle-class way of thinking. Plus my grandma on one side was headmistress of a school and my granddad on the other got an MBE. I feel like we're a bit of both, but I feel more working class whilst my mum insists we are middle class.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Teachers are definitely in the middle class:
- all graduates and many postgraduates (PGCE or above)
- hold a professional qualification/there is a professional qualification for the profession (eg QTS)
- overall decent salary, and a high entry salary
- decent academic background
- as a profession has professional associations and learned societies
- has a professional code of conduct and could have license revoked

Compared these to other recognised middle-class professions:

Accountants (auditors):
- not necessarily graduates, and very few postgradutes
- most don't hold the professional qualification/there is a professional qualification for the profession (ie CPA)
- overall decent salary, but lower than teachers', especially at entry level
- decent academic background - as a profession has professional associations and learned societies - has a professional code of conduct and could have license revoked

Bankers: - not necessarily graduates, and very few postgraduates - most don't hold the professional qualification/there are professional qualifications but very uncommon (eg CFA) - overall decent salary, but depends on what kind of banker - varied academic background - as a profession has professional associations and learned societies - in some lines of work there is a professional code of conduct and in certain lines of work could have license revoked

Doctors: - all graduates but not many postgraduates - hold a professional qualification/there is a professional qualification for the profession - overall decent salary, and a high entry salary - decent academic background - as a profession has professional associations and learned societies - has a professional code of conduct and could have license revoked

Lawyers: - all graduates but depending on the country may or may not have postgraduate qualifications - hold a professional qualification/there is a professional qualification for the profession (however a law degree doesn't give you that) - overall decent salary, but a low entry salary - decent academic background - as a profession has professional associations and learned societies - has a professional code of conduct and could have license revoked

---

But the nature of your profession is only a part of your class identity. The actual money you earn, the house you rent/purchased, your family background, your ancestry, your accent, your schooling background all through university, your connections, your peers, your other achievements, etc.

If you read what I wrote I meant a teacher is middle class but not as middle class as a doctor, lawyer, banker, or dentist etc.
You sound extremely upper class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cambio wechsel
if she stops going to work, she stops getting paid.

I don't subscribe to it but this is the Marxist understanding of who falls into which class, and the definition MangoFreak has said she is using. On the Marxist analysis the middle and upper classes own the means of production and enjoy the rentier benefits of that.

erm working class isn't to do with that all middle class people would stop being paid if they stop going to work
Original post by uncommonsensing
Out of curiousity, which would you say I am? My parents recently separated and I live with my mum, I think my dad earns around £50k as a quantity surveyor and my mum doesn't work so her income is maintence and benefits. Neither of my parents have a proper degree and I go to a state school. So most of that seems working class but everyone in my family is educated and knowledgeable about things like literature, history and politics, my parents read The Times and we definitely have more of a middle-class way of thinking. Plus my grandma on one side was headmistress of a school and my granddad on the other got an MBE. I feel like we're a bit of both, but I feel more working class whilst my mum insists we are middle class.

I'd peg it at Lower Middle class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uncommonsensing

probably middle class as a QS is a good job and he must have professional qualifications to be that
Original post by karl pilkington
erm working class isn't to do with that all middle class people would stop being paid if they stop going to work

as I explained already, that poster subscribes to a Marxist definition of class according to which anyone who is waged for work is the working class. The division here was between the people who had to sell their time and labour (the working class) and the people who owned the means of production.
If you have a TV / Phone / internet / 3 meals a day / fridge / freezer / microwave / oven / washing machine / tumble drier / living near a big town center or village / games device for the TV (xbox/wii/PS).

Having over half of those would make your family middle class IMO.
What would you say I am? I attend a RG uni studying English Literature, family home is roughly £600,000 - both my mum and dad are educated although they haven't used their degrees and now own a successful business
Original post by Anonymous
What would you say I am? I attend a RG uni studying English Literature, family home is roughly £600,000 - both my mum and dad are educated although they haven't used their degrees and now own a successful business

Well your house is worth triple the average house price :tongue: don't think there is any part of that description that is working class

lower class :frown:
Original post by gr8wizard10
lower class :frown:

lol, I know I'm not lower class. I am just asking in terms of middle / upper class.
lol, I know I'm not lower class. I am just asking in terms of middle / upper class.

no, ur definitely lower class :frown: sorry
If you read what I wrote I meant a teacher is middle class but not as middle class as a doctor, lawyer, banker, or dentist etc.

If you read what you wrote you'd realise you didn't say that:

'how can a doctor be working class, A teacher isn't really middle class but probably still is as you need a degree. Working class is like hairdresser mechanic plumber shelf stacker office admin'

You did agree in the end that teachers are in the middle class, but you didn't make a comparison, and said 'isn't really middle class'.

It's debatable whether bankers are lower or higher than teachers are on the scale. There are too many different types of bankers, with varying level of job nature, stability, professional standards, and earnings. This is why teachers are arguably 'professionals' (mostly due to the existence of a professional license) whilst bankers are not.
Original post by gr8wizard10
no, ur definitely lower class :frown: sorry

any reasoning behind this? or are you simply jealous?
how can a doctor be working class, A teacher isn't really middle class but probably still is as you need a degree. Working class is like hairdresser mechanic plumber shelf stacker office admin

Why? What's the difference between them beyond prejudice towards the uneducated? They all do work for a wage.

All these factors like income and financial stability are totally arbitrary; frankly I find the idea that those who have university degrees are socially superior disgusting. This "scale" of classiness is unnecessary and divisive.

There are those who work/produce for a wage and those who hold ownership of the means of production, paying the wages. That's how capitalism works, whether you agree with it or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SotonianOne
Middle / Upper middle class.

B - C1 / Group 2 - 4

"Working class" is far below middle, not sure how you can consider anyone working class if they went to a university.

Maybe if we were in the 1950s-80s but a lot more working class people go to university nowadays. I'm from a very working class background but I have a degree and will have another before I'm 30. I don't consider myself middle class at all by any definition - having a degree doesn't change your class. You're born into class, you can't aquire it no matter how much money you make (or don't) or how many degrees you have. Prince Harry didn't go to university, some working class people (like me) have (multiple) degrees -doesn't change either's class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
When you graduate and find yourself a graduate level job, you won't be working class anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those things have already happened and that doesn't change my feelings. I am not middle class, I'm a working class girl who's done well.

I am in no hurry to leave my roots behind. When you're working class you're keenly aware of it. I don't miss the fun of students around me complaining about being skint despite getting mummy and daddy to pay their rent and help them out whilst I worked my arse off.

Me and my partner earn approx 70k pa between us. If we were to have children I would instill the values I had as a child. You die in the class you were born.
any reasoning behind this? or are you simply jealous?

Pretty sure it's a joke. Why on earth would anyone be jealous? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending