The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people use autism as an insult?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caltrop
Really, I always thought the term for downie's was mong? Always makes me think of that meme where the band system of a down is substituted for syndrome of a down.

Reply 21
Original post by bassbabe

Ah, there we go! Brings back memories!
Generally people who are autistic are socially inept. Therefore when someone is seen to act incredibly awkward/retarded in a social setting they can be described as acting autistic.

e.g. "Omg you've got spaghetti everywhere, you're so autistic"
"I can't believe you just did that. You're such an autist."
Original post by leinad2012
Me and my friends use it a lot if someone does something socially awkward, like say they're on the spectrum, or acting autistic (might have said it yesterday on the FF).

But based off this thread it's a socially unacceptable thing to do so maybe I've been the one "acting autistic" all along :colonhash:

How on Earth can someone act autistic?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by B Rabbit 313
Generally people who are autistic are socially inept. Therefore when someone is seen to act incredibly awkward/retarded in a social setting they can be described as acting autistic.

e.g. "Omg you've got spaghetti everywhere, you're so autistic"
"I can't believe you just did that. You're such an autist."

Those examples are extremely rude. I have n idea why people think it's okay to say such things to someone.
Reply 25
Because they are ignorant and idiotic
There's another phrase like "Autism finds a way" to refer to someone able to pick holes in either a carefully constructed argument or identify incredibly subtle mistakes in grammar.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aaronlowe
My friend is slightly autistic. Sometimes I wind him up about it to stop him playing the victim.

How is someone "slightly" autistic? It's like saying someone is slightly lesbian, that doesn't work. They're either autistic or they're not, either way what you do to your "friend" is cruel. If he was really your friend you wouldn't be making fun of him.
Original post by Snagprophet
There's another phrase like "Autism finds a way" to refer to someone able to pick holes in either a carefully constructed argument or identify incredibly subtle mistakes in grammar.

That sounds mean. =(
Reply 29
"Why do people use autism as an insult?"
"It can be quite offensive"

That's the point of an insult though.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
How is someone "slightly" autistic? It's like saying someone is slightly lesbian, that doesn't work. They're either autistic or they're not, either way what you do to your "friend" is cruel. If he was really your friend you wouldn't be making fun of him.

You don't seem that stupid, just weird, you know...
I've only ever seen it as an insult in YouTube video comment sections...

People use it as an insult towards someone who they consider have very poor social skills.
That sounds mean. =(

It just means that they put the time into working out or finding a hole in someone's statement or idea that's assumed to be fullproof. I don't see what's mean about it.

It's like calling someone 'sperging out' whenever they nitpick.
Those examples are extremely rude. I have n idea why people think it's okay to say such things to someone.

The whole point of an insult is that it's supposed to be rude.

I mean sure, you could say that ideally, nobody should ever insult anybody else in any way whatsoever (i.e. they shouldn't be using any word as an insult, let alone "autistic"), but we're probably living in a dream world here.

The fact is, although autism encompasses many potentially desirable traits (e.g. higher intelligence, strong focus) it also encompasses potentially undesirable traits (e.g. poor social skills, poor motor skills, undue attention to detail) and so it's an effective insult for people exhibiting these.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
"Stop being so autistic"
"That's autistic"

The one with I always hated was "like an autistic monkey" you hear it loads on the Internet
How on Earth can someone act autistic?!

Those with autism often have poor social skills, so by "acting autistic" someone means acting with poor social skills
Heard of people using the far end of the autistic spectrum as an insult but then again it is...
Heard it a few times, in France tho.
I've read the symptoms of Asperger syndrome and suspect I might have it...
Meh. I've never understood why people think it's ok to use a serious medical condition as an insult. Why do people thnk it's ok?

It also shows how ignorant they are as to what it truly is.

Latest

Trending

Trending