Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

:(

Scroll to see replies

How are international students treated in general? I'm not from the UK (I'm Polish, but I've lived in Singapore since I was three), and I'm kind of worried that people will treat me as an outsider (which I will be, I know, but I'm an outsider wherever I go... the blessings of being a third-culture kid :rolleyes: ).

What's the attitude in Durham towards non-UK students? Is it like "ew, go home", "welcome to my country! have some scones! *hug* ", or more like "I couldn't care less either way". Haha, I'm just wondering what to expect!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Forgive me for sounding a bit naive... but there's still racism in England? That's weird, considering how diverse the population is. I went to London this summer and I swear, I didn't see a single "English"-English person there.
Reply 22
I think this guy's just having a laugh, ignore him.
I walk around with a burning cross just in case I see a non-white person.

Quite a few of us do it, are we rascist?
Reply 24
If I see a black person in Wimborne I do a double take, but that's because Wimborne is the whitest place ever. More so than Durham. Still, I did see a black man there once and he wasn't being chased by the KKK or being burnt at the stake. He was just going about his day like everyone else. Durham may not have many ethnic minorities here, but on the whole people are too educated to be so ignorant as to be racist.

Do you see gay people as a problem? You seem to. I don't like people who are discriminative. If you are then please don't come here.
To go a little off-track.. what do you guys think of the whole Big Brother incident last week? Was it racism or just a little teasing that got blown out of proportion? My Indian friends actually found the 'poppadum' reference quite funny, so I don't know.
Reply 26
Discrimination rocks!
Reply 27
Listen, you're going to get ignorant prats wherever you go, the key is not to be so damn concious about it. When I walk through durham, I dont think "are people looking at me because I'm brown?" rather "people are looking at me because I'm so damn sexy"*. Seriously, whats the point in worrying what others will think, you wont get shunned by the majority of people so forget that the few that do, actually exist.

*Disclaimer: this statement may not be true in any form.
The_Luvbster
To go a little off-track.. what do you guys think of the whole Big Brother incident last week? Was it racism or just a little teasing that got blown out of proportion? My Indian friends actually found the 'poppadum' reference quite funny, so I don't know.

I thought Jade was a moron before and I still do now. She's isn't racist, just very naive and very very ignorant, IMO.
If anyone reading this isn't white can they please just let me know so that I can avoid their posts in future.

Since arriving in Durham i've realised the inherent evil of all the Blacks.
Itchynscratchy
I thought Jade was a moron before and I still do now. She's isn't racist, just very naive and very very ignorant, IMO.

:dito: I agree she like lots of people isn't racist just ignorant. I'm glad the degenartive programe that made her also destroyed her (took long enough). Though BB can be good when its not celebrities. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Reblet
Wow, it's done the opposite for me. Everyone seems so keen on Durham I'm picking up on the excitement!
Is it the possibility of racism that's putting you off? Cause there is a thread which says there's no problem with it really at Durham.
Plus don't be scared of the North! Most of the students are actually from the South if that makes it any better?! Haha. Hope you get where you want to be. x

They are all from the south, and they are mostly ******s. but i haven't met a racist yet :s-smilie:
Reply 32
The_Luvbster
How are international students treated in general? I'm not from the UK (I'm Polish, but I've lived in Singapore since I was three), and I'm kind of worried that people will treat me as an outsider (which I will be, I know, but I'm an outsider wherever I go... the blessings of being a third-culture kid :rolleyes: ).

What's the attitude in Durham towards non-UK students? Is it like "ew, go home", "welcome to my country! have some scones! *hug* ", or more like "I couldn't care less either way". Haha, I'm just wondering what to expect!

The attitude towards international students....I can only speak from my own experience: I'm going out with one! (He's Norwegian) and 3 of my really good friends at Durham are International (Argentinian, Finnish and Austrian). International students tend to integrate really well here, and I love having them as my friend sbecause I get to learn stuff about other cultures! :smile:

Latest