The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

[Official thread] Durham University 2024 Applicants

This is the thread for Durham University 2024 applicants to ask questions, share experiences and find out everything you need to know about Durham, the University and making your application.

Check out The Durham Student for an insight into what it's really like to be a Durham student through blogs and a wide variety of social media content, produced by current Durham students. You can also follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, YouTube and Tik Tok for the latest insights!

Scroll to see replies

A tracking form has been created so that you can see when offers/interviews are being given out.

Link to this year's form: https://forms.gle/VAXGCgGsE2cW2acg8
Please be aware you will need your TSR user ID to complete the form. If you don't know how to find this, click here.

2024 form responses:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DBvzBTvech_by7llAjnHjZAw35b1HGb8nxggn2o-omo/edit?usp=sharing

Note: All data you share is at your own risk, the forms and resources linked here are not controlled by The Student Room Group Ltd. If you have any issues, please tag a member of the Universities Volunteer team (in purple and cyan at the bottom of this page). For more information please click here.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi everyone!! Ghala and I are current Durham students in 2nd and 3rd year respectively, and we're here to help you with any questions you may have about Durham or student life in general. If you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to tag us or send us a PM and we'll try our best to guide you. Durham's open days for the 2023-24 application cycle are on 15th and 16th September so we might even see some of you in person. In the meantime, feel free to check out my blog where I often update what I'm up to at Durham and the various things you can get involved in while you're here!

Good luck with your applications :borat:

-Himieka
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hi everyone!! Ghala and I are current Durham students in 2nd and 3rd year respectively, and we're here to help you with any questions you may have about Durham or student life in general. If you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to tag us or send us a PM and we'll try our best to guide you. Durham's open days for the 2023-24 application cycle are on 15th and 16th September so we might even see some of you in person. In the meantime, feel free to check out my blog where I often update what I'm up to at Durham and the various things you can get involved in while you're here!

Good luck with your applications :borat:

-Himieka

hi!

I'm currently in yr13 and I'm hoping to apply to Durham for English literature!

I was wondering what life is like in the colleges and how you balance work/social life or if that depends on your course a lot.

Also it might seem like a really weird question but is it normally cold in Durham? When I went to the open day in June it was sunny and warm but as someone who used to live further north (at least further than I do now) I know that it's normally a bit colder lol.

Also thanks for creating this thread and I hope you're enjoying life at uni!!! :smile:
Original post by máni
hi!

I'm currently in yr13 and I'm hoping to apply to Durham for English literature!

I was wondering what life is like in the colleges and how you balance work/social life or if that depends on your course a lot.

Also it might seem like a really weird question but is it normally cold in Durham? When I went to the open day in June it was sunny and warm but as someone who used to live further north (at least further than I do now) I know that it's normally a bit colder lol.

Also thanks for creating this thread and I hope you're enjoying life at uni!!! :smile:

Hiya

It's lovely to know you're considering applying to Durham, and English lit is a great choice!

Colleges will basically be your first family when you come to Durham- that's where you live, meet people, make friends, eat with them and engage in events that the JCR holds. College events include everything from society events to events held in the college bar during fresher's week, pub quizzes, college day, formals, sports, and so much more. You also get a two-tier level of support as colleges have their own welfare teams you can approach for financial or mental health support. There are also central university professional services like counselling, finance, disability support, international office, etc.

Here is our Student Hub where you can find blogs about different colleges: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/?s=college+life.
Also check out our Tiktok for some cool student-produced content: https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent

As for work/life balance, it can get quite difficult if you don't manage your time well. I have about 8-9 contact hours per week which isn't a lot. But I was burning out a lot at the beginning of 2nd year because I had two part-time jobs, started learning a new language, was working on assignments, did weightlifting and also was the publicity officer for Disney Society. It got extremely difficult to manage these all at the same time but as I started allocating time to specific tasks, it became much more manageable. I still do all these things now but it's now a part of my routine and doesn't feel very difficult except during formative season in November.

I wouldn't say it gets unbearably cold but temperatures in winter have previously gone to -2 degree celsius. Usually it revolves around 1-9 degrees in the winter. Summers can be quite fickle also as last time it went up to 34 degrees but this time, 27-28 was the maximum. I would suggest you bring a few fleece or warm jackets/hoodies/coats for the winter.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 5
I know Durham applicants can send a separate personal statement. Is it only worth doing this if the Durham course is very different to the others applied to?
Thanks.
Original post by Wombat11
I know Durham applicants can send a separate personal statement. Is it only worth doing this if the Durham course is very different to the others applied to?
Thanks.

Hiya

Yes, that's correct. The website states:

It is not necessary to write an additional personal statement, however we have a tool just for Durham applicants which allows you to submit a substitute personal statement if the Durham course you’re applying to is very different to the one in your UCAS personal statement.

For example, if you applied to four Chemistry courses but you also applied to our Natural Sciences course (even including Chemistry, but with other subjects too), or perhaps you have applied to Medicine at four other universities but chose Anthropology as your fifth choice with us.

-Himieka
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Hello! I’m applying for Classics at Durham if I mess up my CAT exam at Oxford :smile: I really like the town and student atmosphere at Durham, and the Christian Union seems really good! How good would you say the support is for poorer/disabled students?
Original post by waffelton
Hello! I’m applying for Classics at Durham if I mess up my CAT exam at Oxford :smile: I really like the town and student atmosphere at Durham, and the Christian Union seems really good! How good would you say the support is for poorer/disabled students?

My daughter is about to start Durham, so far the financial support from her college has been fab. She has a scholarship as well as the Durham Grant so financially she should be ok. She also has ASD and is going in for the disability induction a few days earlier than move in date for Freshers and I've been in contact with the advisors who again seem so far to be really good. Guess time will tell when she's actually there .. but so far feeling really supported
Reply 9
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

It's lovely to know you're considering applying to Durham, and English lit is a great choice!

Colleges will basically be your first family when you come to Durham- that's where you live, meet people, make friends, eat with them and engage in events that the JCR holds. College events include everything from society events to events held in the college bar during fresher's week, pub quizzes, college day, formals, sports, and so much more. You also get a two-tier level of support as colleges have their own welfare teams you can approach for financial or mental health support. There are also central university professional services like counselling, finance, disability support, international office, etc.

Here is our Student Hub where you can find blogs about different colleges: https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/?s=college+life.
Also check out our Tiktok for some cool student-produced content: https://www.tiktok.com/@thedurhamstudent

As for work/life balance, it can get quite difficult if you don't manage your time well. I have about 8-9 contact hours per week which isn't a lot. But I was burning out a lot at the beginning of 2nd year because I had two part-time jobs, started learning a new language, was working on assignments, did weightlifting and also was the publicity officer for Disney Society. It got extremely difficult to manage these all at the same time but as I started allocating time to specific tasks, it became much more manageable. I still do all these things now but it's now a part of my routine and doesn't feel very difficult except during formative season in November.

I wouldn't say it gets unbearably cold but temperatures in winter have previously gone to -2 degree celsius. Usually it revolves around 1-9 degrees in the winter. Summers can be quite fickle also as last time it went up to 34 degrees but this time, 27-28 was the maximum. I would suggest you bring a few fleece or warm jackets/hoodies/coats for the winter.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka

thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Durham University
This is the thread for Durham University 2024 applicants to ask questions, share experiences and find out everything you need to know about Durham, the University and making your application.

Check out The Durham Student for an insight into what it's really like to be a Durham student through blogs and a wide variety of social media content, produced by current Durham students. You can also follow @thedurhamstudent on Instagram, YouTube and Tik Tok for the latest insights!

hi!!

I'm applying for classical studies at durham and I'm wondering about the probability of sharing a room first year, specifically in Hatfield and st chad's?
Original post by cinmnsoul
hi!!

I'm applying for classical studies at durham and I'm wondering about the probability of sharing a room first year, specifically in Hatfield and st chad's?

Hiya,

There are 24 twin ensuite rooms and 50 Standard rooms with a shared bathroom at Hatfield, so there is the option to share a room with someone, and there are also 23 single ensuite rooms (non shared rooms) so there are a lot of options to choose from.

As for St Chads, 70% of the first year rooms are shared and most are ensuite and there are a limited number of single rooms for first years with priority given to students with accessibility or medical needs. There are pictures available online for rooms at St Chads, if you'd like to have a look.
https://www.stchads.ac.uk/accommodation/

Best of luck :smile:

-Ghala
Reply 12
Hi everyone! I'm a gap year student reapplying for finance / accounting and finance
Reply 13
Has anyone had a Durham offer yet? I know they are known for being slow, but I’ve also heard that a few receive offers very quickly. Anyone?
Has anyone had a Durham offer yet? I know they are known for being slow, but I’ve also heard that a few receive offers very quickly. Anyone?

Usually they only give out offers for those who have guaranteed offers this early. Then a smattering of (mostly to international students or those who have sat an optional entrance test) starting from November/December time. If you're a home student I would unfortunately be expecting absolutely nothing before the UCAS deadline at the end of January, and even then, most offers are March or April.
Reply 15
Original post by Lemur14
Usually they only give out offers for those who have guaranteed offers this early. Then a smattering of (mostly to international students or those who have sat an optional entrance test) starting from November/December time. If you're a home student I would unfortunately be expecting absolutely nothing before the UCAS deadline at the end of January, and even then, most offers are March or April.

Do they give out offers to achieved grade (unconditional) students sooner, as they don't have to gamble on whether they will meet their entry requirements on results day?

Hello, I'm reapplying this year after a rejection last year.

In my experience, the reputation of Durham as being notoriously slow to reply to applicants is accurate (in my year, the majority of people heard from Durham last out of all, in one case someone actually heard back just days before an A Level).

I'm outlining this just to say please don't get too caught up in waiting for a reply, as I did last year and it was a very long (and therefore stressful) wait. Hope this helps!
Original post by tbest3769
Do they give out offers to achieved grade (unconditional) students sooner, as they don't have to gamble on whether they will meet their entry requirements on results day?

If you're well above the requirements maybe slightly sooner, but if you meet but don't exceed them I wouldn't be expecting anything any earlier. And either way, likely nothing before the UCAS equal consideration deadline
hi im reapplying to durham as a gap year for economics with French . let me know if anyone is applying to this course or knows how competitive it is !! I have achieved grades and am taking on a new a level in my gap year !!
Sadly not. Last year one of my students far exceeded the standard offer with achieved grades and didn't hear back until early April.
Original post by tbest3769

Quick Reply

Latest