The Student Room Group

This is what Feminism has done to our culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAlwaysGetBanned
Gay

Unless you can spit bars you can't give such comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
God, it is things like that which make me scared ****less to get drunk and go out these days
Original post by flamboy
I'm using the term in different contexts - I didn't realise somebody like you was honestly going to nitpick the fact that I didn't call "actual" gender equality something different to feminism

If you're using it in different contexts then you clearly understand that feminism does equate to gender equality, yet has been interpreted differently. The fact there are different contexts kind of undermines the question of whether feminism is positive or negative in our culture.

And what does "somebody like you" mean?
Original post by dialemforemily
If you're using it in different contexts then you clearly understand that feminism does equate to gender equality, yet has been interpreted differently. The fact there are different contexts kind of undermines the question of whether feminism is positive or negative in our culture.

how can you not understand that feminism as a historical ideology is very wide? it isn't any more, and feminists today probably don't understand that there was a time where "feminist" didn't mean what it means today. it meant trying to secure legal and individual equality of men and women. that largely meant having the same voting rights, having the same right to contest a political office, having the right to do the same things men have the right to do by law.

now "feminism" (radical/second/third wave/modern) has no inherently or demonstratively egalitarian mindset - it is just a bunch of angry-by-agenda women either a) implying that men are to blame for basically all of women's problems, like a "patriarchy" or b) implying that, at least, women are more entitled to special or privileged treatment, either in society or by the government, as if they want "government chivalry" a lot of the time, with laws making it okay to have gender quotas for them but not men, having more parental leave than men, having a lower retirement age than men, going to prison *far* less, having far more resources in education, and more in domestic violence cases than male victims, etc. it isn't about equality, it is simply gynocentricism and misandry in practice, whether it is "equality" in name. I challenge you to find me one "feminist" today wanting, seriously, to talk about men's rights issues as much as women's rights issues, or a "feminist" that is talking less about "rape culture", "objectification", "patriarchy" (and other radical feminist buzzwords) and more about "equality before the law", "meritocracy", "free society" and "tolerance". you can't? well then I guess this is why 80+% of people in our society think men and women should be treated the same/equally, yet only 20-% identify as "feminists". regarding thinking feminist today means asking for equality, it doesn't make sense to ask for equality when women are treated *better* and with *more* privilege than men, because that would mean making women *worse* and that doesn't sound very "fem"inist.

And what does "somebody like you" mean?

!!!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
It would be so much simpler if they both just didn't get drunk omg.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flamboy
how can you not understand that feminism as a historical ideology is very wide? it isn't any more, and feminists today probably don't understand that there was a time where "feminist" didn't mean what it means today. it meant trying to secure legal and individual equality of men and women. that largely meant having the same voting rights, having the same right to contest a political office, having the right to do the same things men have the right to do by law.

now "feminism" (radical/second/third wave/modern) has no inherently or demonstratively egalitarian mindset - it is just a bunch of angry-by-agenda women either a) implying that men are to blame for basically all of women's problems, like a "patriarchy" or b) implying that, at least, women are more entitled to special or privileged treatment, either in society or by the government, as if they want "government chivalry" a lot of the time, with laws making it okay to have gender quotas for them but not men, having more parental leave than men, having a lower retirement age than men, going to prison *far* less, having far more resources in education, and more in domestic violence cases than male victims, etc. it isn't about equality, it is simply gynocentricism and misandry in practice, whether it is "equality" in name. I challenge you to find me one "feminist" today wanting, seriously, to talk about men's rights issues as much as women's rights issues, or a "feminist" that is talking less about "rape culture", "objectification", "patriarchy" (and other radical feminist buzzwords) and more about "equality before the law", "meritocracy", "free society" and "tolerance". you can't? well then I guess this is why 80+% of people in our society think men and women should be treated the same/equally, yet only 20-% identify as "feminists". regarding thinking feminist today means asking for equality, it doesn't make sense to ask for equality when women are treated *better* and with *more* privilege than men, because that would mean making women *worse* and that doesn't sound very "fem"inist.

!!!!!!

"I challenge you to find me one "feminist" today wanting, seriously, to talk about men's rights issues as much as women's rights issues, or a "feminist" that is talking less about "rape culture", "objectification", "patriarchy" (and other radical feminist buzzwords) and more about "equality before the law", "meritocracy", "free society" and "tolerance"."

Myself. And many other unheard of feminists around the world. Rape culture and objectification are the issues most highlighted and intensified by celebrities and media coverage, but it's just ignorant to assume no feminist cares about any other principles, such as the rights of men.

"it doesn't make sense to ask for equality when women are treated *better* and with *more* privilege than men" So men are the victims now?

Grow up. The reason most men are intimidated by the concept of feminism is because they misbelieve that feminism means women gaining the superiority over men that men have enjoyed over women since the beginning of time. The fact it scares you so much shows a lot about society.

The idea that women having more resources against sexual and domestic violence means they are somehow being put above men is disgusting. Women have more resources in this area because the victims are predominantly female. Yes, more needs to be done for the awareness of violence against men, but that doesn't mean we can ignore the fact that violence against women is still so prevelent and, in some cultures, completely socially acceptable.

Your argument is immature; your attempt to fight misandry with misogyny is not going to work.
Myself. And many other unheard of feminists around the world. Rape culture and objectification are the issues most highlighted and intensified by celebrities and media coverage, but it's just ignorant to assume no feminist cares about any other principles, such as the rights of men.

quoting yourself isn't a very academic way of giving a sceptic evidence of your claim, to say the least. now, please find me a *proper* theorist/author/feminist of some other recognised variety

"it doesn't make sense to ask for equality when women are treated *better* and with *more* privilege than men" So men are the victims now?

Grow up. The reason most men are intimidated by the concept of feminism is because they misbelieve that feminism means women gaining the superiority over men that men have enjoyed over women since the beginning of time. The fact it scares you so much shows a lot about society.

this comment looks so cliche and over-said that I actually wouldn't be surprised if you copied and pasted it...from tumblr, of course.

The idea that women having more resources against sexual and domestic violence means they are somehow being put above men is disgusting. Women have more resources in this area because the victims are predominantly female.

that's an absolute lie - domestic violence is not a gendered issue overall. men and women roughly get domestically abused the same. I'm not surprised of your ignorance. men, in 2015 (as opposed to 2014) get *no* resources like abuse shelters. is that fair? feminism did this, via its incessant geocentricism pressuring all the resources towards women

Yes, more needs to be done for the awareness of violence against men, but that doesn't mean we can ignore the fact that violence against women is still so prevelent and, in some cultures, completely socially acceptable.

how the **** is violence against *women* socially acceptable?! if there was a comedy movie and a guy gets hit in the balls, the audience will laugh, but if a person punched a woman in the face, the audience would gasp. how is our culture more allowing of ciolence against *women*?!

Your argument is immature; your attempt to fight misandry with misogyny is not going to work.

how the **** am I being misogynistic by criticising *feminism*?! there's a big ****ing difference between "women" and "feminism" you know. would you take me seriously if I said it was misandry to criticise MRAs/MGTOWs?
Original post by angelcake123
It would be so much simpler if they both just didn't get drunk omg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"both"? are men accusing women of rape here?
Original post by flamboy
quoting yourself isn't a very academic way of giving a sceptic evidence of your claim, to say the least. now, please find me a *proper* theorist/author/feminist of some other recognised variety

this comment looks so cliche and over-said that I actually wouldn't be surprised if you copied and pasted it...from tumblr, of course.

that's an absolute lie - domestic violence is not a gendered issue overall. men and women roughly get domestically abused the same. I'm not surprised of your ignorance. men, in 2015 (as opposed to 2014) get *no* resources like abuse shelters. is that fair? feminism did this, via its incessant geocentricism pressuring all the resources towards women

how the **** is violence against *women* socially acceptable?! if there was a comedy movie and a guy gets hit in the balls, the audience will laugh, but if a person punched a woman in the face, the audience would gasp. how is our culture more allowing of ciolence against *women*?!

how the **** am I being misogynistic by criticising *feminism*?! there's a big ****ing difference between "women" and "feminism" you know. would you take me seriously if I said it was misandry to criticise MRAs/MGTOWs?

What exactly do you mean by "proper feminist"? Saying someone isn't an example of feminism because they are not a theorist/author is incomprehensible; surely ranking feminists removes the equality of the subject.

None of my argument is copied from tumblr. The fact the comment is "overused" is because it is true and relevant, and the fact you disagree with it, or believe it is too "popular" to hold any meaning, doesn't in any way diminish the point.

If you actually read my point you would have seen that i said "in some cultures, violence against women is socially acceptable" .....your reference of violence in movies just highlights your ignorance towards other cultures.

"how the **** am I being misogynistic by criticising *feminism*?! there's a big ****ing difference between "women" and "feminism" you know" ....but your whole point was that feminism is an exclusively female movement and that none of the WOMEN involved care about male rights. If you want to distinguish feminism from women then you will have to accept that it is not a purely female movement, therefore it must advocate gender equality, not the "pro woman" attitude you seem to be afraid of.
Reply 189
What exactly do you mean by "proper feminist"? Saying someone isn't an example of feminism because they are not a theorist/author is incomprehensible; surely ranking feminists removes the equality of the subject.

None of my argument is copied from tumblr. The fact the comment is "overused" is because it is true and relevant, and the fact you disagree with it, or believe it is too "popular" to hold any meaning, doesn't in any way diminish the point.

If you actually read my point you would have seen that i said "in some cultures, violence against women is socially acceptable" .....your reference of violence in movies just highlights your ignorance towards other cultures.

I don't understand how anyone can argue that feminism is about equality, it's about advancing women's rights.

"how the **** am I being misogynistic by criticising *feminism*?! there's a big ****ing difference between "women" and "feminism" you know" ....but your whole point was that feminism is an exclusively female movement and that none of the WOMEN involved care about male rights. If you want to distinguish feminism from women then you will have to accept that it is not a purely female movement, therefore it must advocate gender equality, not the "pro woman" attitude you seem to be afraid of.

That's not really true, while there are some white knight males out there, you need to understand that not all women are feminists thus an attack on feminism isn't an attack on women in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
I don't understand how anyone can argue that feminism is about equality, it's about advancing women's rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But advancing women's rights is intended to lead to gender equality, meaning women have the same rights as men.

The only other way to achieve gender equality would be to bring men's rights down to the levels of women's, and how would that be achieving anything?

Surely you can't think that gender equality already exists and by advancing women's rights women will have power over men?

yes it does - of course it does - it's weeding out the stupid ones from the more educated ones.

that doesn't change the fact that I have genuinely heard almost the same exact words in the same exact order more than once before. and no, it's not - the fact that you're saying "it looks copied because it's true" isn't a defence based on what I said earlier - you seemed to use "word for word" styles that I have previously read online. and even still, the point wasn't a correct one, and it almost seems to suggest, or state, that women *are* becoming superior - the fact that men, who *were* superior in the past (and nobody is saying this was a good thing) doesn't mean that women today should be superior, and it also doesn't mean that women should be taught that they shouldn't be guilty when they *are* treated superiorly by the government

why on earth would be talking about "some cultures" when we are clearly talking about radical/modern feminism which is a western movement? in cultures like afghanistan and saudi arabia, they haven't even experienced *first* wave feminism! (or liberal feminism - the kind of "feminism" that I actually support). and what you're saying is rather rich, as well - when do you actually see modern feminists talking about third world problems? they are far more likely (to say the least) to talk about "sexist central heating" and that objectification bull**** which they actually benefits from in most cases any way, adjacent to the fact that it is a minor "problem" if it even is one

but by saying what you said, you were essentially arguing that men couldn't be feminists whether you agreed with the point or not, so that's very reckless of you to do. also, feminism is and alwasy was a "pro-women approach" movement - it just so happens that this attitude of feminists has actually caused the balance to tip in the favour of women over men to quite a dramatic degree - there are *so* many laws that now treat women as greater citizens than men. to be a feminist, and part of that persistently pro-women movement in spite of this is ridiculous - that point would be the natural end of feminism for most sane individuals, but some got greedy, it would seem, and want *more* rights than others.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 192
But advancing women's rights is intended to lead to gender equality, meaning women have the same rights as men.

The only other way to achieve gender equality would be to bring men's rights down to the levels of women's, and how would that be achieving anything?

Surely you can't think that gender equality already exists and by advancing women's rights women will have power over men?

But by trying to only advance the rights of women you're aim is essentially to advance women's right above men's. If we were to simplify it and say women are disadvantaged in 30 areas and men are disadvantaged in 5 then by eradicating the areas that women are disadvantaged in you leave behind the areas men are disadvantaged

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flamboy
"both"? are men accusing women of rape here?

If the man wasn't drunk, it would be clear to say that the man raped the woman. But because he was, the blame of the rape is shared as neither may not have known what they were doing.

If the woman wasn't drunk, she is more likely to protect herself in the situation. The problem with her being drunk is that she may blame herself, or other people will blame her for not looking after herself. The blame of the rape would be shared.

This is why, as I originally said, the situation would be less complicated (in the eyes of the law) if neither were drunk.
If the man wasn't drunk, it would be clear to say that the man raped the woman.

...what?!
unethical? maybe. bur "rape"?!
this is why I don't really take rape accusations seriously any more.
Original post by flamboy
...what?!
unethical? maybe. bur "rape"?!
this is why I don't really take rape accusations seriously any more.

you don't have to agree with the truth, but it would be quite silly not to
you don't have to agree with the truth, but it would be quite silly not to

what "truth"? having consensual sex with a drunk person isn't rape, and having consensual sex while you are drunk also wouldn't make the other person a rapist. this is bull****!
Reply 197

A few weeks after filing with the Superior Court, in an apparent effort to show Occidental's inconsistent application of its own sexual-assault policies, John filed a sexual-assault complaint against Jane Doe with Occidental. He claimed she did not obtain his consent prior to performing oral sex on him—as he doesn't even recall this happening, and nobody ever asked Jane whether she received consent from John, he believes it should be subject to the same scrutiny under which he was investigated. (Sexual intercourse, as it's defined in the Occidental policy, includes oral sex, and there is no statute of limitations on when an accuser can file a claim.) However, because he would not meet with the university's investigator without his attorney present—just as he wouldn't meet with the investigator during the earlier investigation without his attorney present—the school declined to hear his complaint, citing his "inconsistent assertions, the timing of [his] complaint, and [his] failure to cooperate in the initial assessment process."

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
Reply 198
Original post by flamboy
what "truth"? having consensual sex with a drunk person isn't rape, and having consensual sex while you are drunk also wouldn't make the other person a rapist. this is bull****!

That would all depend on how drunk you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
That would all depend on how drunk you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

just "drunk"
I'm not talking about "on the floor, unable to move" drunk, or else I would have said

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending