The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Africa is a lost cause.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't think we should be sending aid to Africa.

I think it's too late to help them and we're just wasting money on them. If you think about it, the more Africans we save the more overpopulated the world will become and the more disease there will be.

I think we should be focusing on our own issues in our own countries.

You suffer in the area of perception, it's limited to what the people you respect have told you as opposed to finding your own knowledge and understanding.

Your information concentrates on the end result and my observations speculate on the cause. You're like a ref who catches the end of the play and call the foul based on what you saw. I on the other hand have seen the play develop and saw the first elbow thrown.

Africah has the biggest stores of

Gold and diamonds
Oil
Cocoa
Timber

Not to mention ron, Platinum, Uranium, Chromium. Hell even Cement is exported from Egypt and Morocco.

Because Africa is one of the most diverse geological continents, and has very rich soils.South Africa produces a lot of cars (like the Ford Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta)Wool, Beef, Sheep, Goats, Milk, Dry Grains (wheat, rice etc.) are all widely exported from Africa.

So why should they pull out ?

Secondly if Africa is the hellhole you claim it is

Then - Why did they have fight wars to get whites to leave ? Why do we have Mandela's, Steve Biko's of this world if it's such a horrible place ?

The blacks had to fight a long civil war for their freedom, and now they are being fought tooth and nail by the international community for wanting to take back the soil that is rightfully theirs.

This is what has happened every time that a black nation has sought independence. Patrice Lumumba, one of the greatest black leaders to emerge in this century, was assinated by the Belgians with the aid of US, so that the white international community could get the puppet government that they wanted in the Congo.

The constant interference on the part of certain powerful Flemmish interests are the principle reasons for all of the power struggles in the history of the Congo and the bloody civil war which is raging on now. The reason that black nations have not been able to prosper is the constant interference from outsiders who are still eager to exploit them.

Of course every two years they trot some comic relief out, where white ppl pretend like they give a crap about less fortunate black people.

The so-called debt relief by western powers is load of nonsense, They come with a price. The African resource producing countries have to sell everything for a special discount price which opens the doors to all sorts of speculations from foreign investors demanding high returns.

Another byproduct the West is expecting from their ‘generous gestures’ is to get some more positive votes at the next UN assembly.

The world bank has given out credits to African countries for building up their infrastructures for the sole purpose of insuring the interests of the multinationals and their Western resource junkies.

The resource rich African countries are held hostage by the West through debt. The payback is done to a large part as “rebate in kind” by even more resources at ridiculously low prices.

The higher the debt the tougher the negotiation basis and the least favourable for the producing country. Those countries are drawn into handcuff contracts of globally or regionally exclusive authorisations to exploit certain local resources.

The USA alone (5% of the world population) consume 30% of produced African natural resources which they purchase at bargain prices or for virtually nothing as debt payback.

In contrast, local infrastructures are crumbling, social programmes and local developments are cut because of the paybacks of interests and the debt itself. Corruption does the rest.

The African countries are not only left alone with their debt but also with their directly resulting set of related problems see the extreme social disparities and sometimes resulting tensions like in the Niger delta for instance.

Education doesn't equal intelligence, intelligence doesn't equal knowledge, knowledge doesn't equal understanding, and understanding doesn't equal wisdom.

Observe, find you own understanding outside the books, or even other people.

Calling me a black radical is the ultimate compliment,cause that means I'm blazing my own path, long as I keep moving, its all good.
It depends how you see certain African nations really. For those ambitious enough it's a land of opportunity, a virtually untouched market ready for heavy investment.

Some refuse to recognise the potential and continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes, those types of people fail to read between the lines and see opportunities in many African nations. The place just needs a solid infrastructure and it will bulid itself tis the nature of capitalism. I think the next generation of Africans and especially Africans in diaspora will be the catalyst for competent leadership, social change and exponential economic growth.

To the ignorant it may be a lost cause but those who aspire for something more than a 9-5 job it's a rare opening for huge success.
Reply 62
Original post by High Stakes
Africa is the future.

Underrated post

Posted from TSR Mobile
this is such a racist thread
Original post by thunder_chunky
I didn't say that it was. Try again.

Neither. Fancy trying again?

I highly doubt that. Hopefully the future won't be tribal wars, corruption and all the other stuff I mentioned above.

I'm genuinely interested to know what you've learnt at uni and what you do for a living

Original post by sevchenko
It depends how you see certain African nations really. For those ambitious enough it's a land of opportunity, a virtually untouched market ready for heavy investment.

Some refuse to recognise the potential and continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes, those types of people fail to read between the lines and see opportunities in many African nations. The place just needs a solid infrastructure and it will bulid itself tis the nature of capitalism. I think the next generation of Africans and especially Africans in diaspora will be the catalyst for competent leadership, social change and exponential economic growth.

To the ignorant it may be a lost cause but those who aspire for something more than a 9-5 job it's a rare opening for huge success.

Well said buddy (Y). To use a single brush to paint 52 (or 54) countries of a continent sums up how knowledgeable some of these "students" are. Pathetic! If I owned TSR I would be ashamed!
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree partially with you, we shouldn't just throw money at Africa as if it is a strip club dancer. Instead I suggest countries find alternative methods of aiding Africa, after all the West wouldn't be the powerhouse it is now, without the billions stolen from Africa in the colonial period.
Africa is the second biggest continent on the planet so I think it's a bit stupid to categorically say the whole region is a lost cause... Especially since there's a lot of variance in terms of development among different African countries.

You've got pockets like Lagos state (South) outpacing Northen Nigeria which has been plagued with security issues due to boko haram.

[video="youtube;HbsdLI8kaWc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbsdLI8kaWc#t=44[/video]

There's a lot more of this good stuff going on all across Africa, I just don't have the time to dig it up sadly... Also, you should be able to realise that if Africa was really a lost-cause this investment video wouldn't have been made.

There's obviously poverty in Africa no doubt about it, but on the whole I would say Africa has serious potential.
Original post by jedanselemyia
That's the thing, Africa should gain more independance but since most govs are corrupt and have strong ties with Western/Asian companies, but I don't see it happening soon :\

African governments anger me, really. Corrupt leaders use violence to keep hold of power, and the good ones get assassinated in less than 3 years. I'd love to see more independence and better allocation of resources myself, but I'm not holding my breath.

Original post by PrincePaul24557
x

Ayyy, I've been wondering where you were. As much as I hate your black panther nationalist-like anti white racist attitude, you do speak some sense about 55% of the time.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think we should be sending aid to Africa.

I think it's too late to help them and we're just wasting money on them. If you think about it, the more Africans we save the more overpopulated the world will become and the more disease there will be.

I think we should be focusing on our own issues in our own countries.

Africa is the next big thing - these countries are the next BRICS. If you spend 10 minutes watching CNBC you'll see how excited the business community is.

http://www.ey.com/ZA/en/Issues/Business-environment/EY-africa-attractiveness-survey-2014

Maybe in 200 years' time, an African teenager will be writing on a similar student forum, arguing that Africa should stop 'wasting money' on sending aid to the Europeans :wink:
Reply 69
true - they're a definitely a lost cause over there with all of the corruption acting as a hole in the pocket of the aid, which we probably shouldn't even give without the corruption
Original post by Another
African governments anger me, really. Corrupt leaders use violence to keep hold of power, and the good ones get assassinated in less than 3 years. I'd love to see more independence and better allocation of resources myself, but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly, all we can do is wait really
Original post by Another

Ayyy, I've been wondering where you were. As much as I hate your black panther nationalist-like anti white racist attitude, you do speak some sense about 55% of the time.

The poverty in Africa is shown with a purpose. It's used to show that Africans are inherently screwed up, they can’t govern themselves and hence they need American and European [conditional] aid, foreign soldiers on their ground, foreign control on their resources. To back this theory up they show the ‘benevolent whitey’ side by side.

Whites portray native africans as out of control, knowing damn’ well that their race is the source of the problem. This allows them to play the role of “Savior” that we have all come to despise. Brad Pitt, Angelina, Bono, and other bleeding hearts will never be honest about who created the chaos that we see in some african countries,

Finally, Africa does have a lot of problems, I do not deny that.

Here is fact: 8.5 billion dollars worth of diamonds are extracted out of Africa every year. It is enough to wipe out hunger and poverty in Africa.

This is just diamonds. And who do think get this money ? Not Africans.

Here is another fact: only an eighth of Africa’s mineral have been discovered. The clamour for Africa’s rare minerals have began. There is no continent like Africa.

And to you or others who say Africans are backward

Can you start a fire without matches and start it naturally ?
Do you know how to purify water ?
Do you know locate time and distance and location by looking at the sun ?

I would like to see how you would get on if I stripped off your clothing and dropped you into say…in Kenya plains.

How long do you think it would be before I came upon your pink and naked body laying in a fen of fern, gasping and shivering, eyes bulging in horror, whilst some poisonous amphibian set atop your chest awaiting your inevitable demise ?

I suppose you think avoiding death in the equatorial zone somehow requires less intelligence ?

How about if I dropped you down in the Nile delta and asked you to please farm the desert ?

How about if I asked you to survive by wandering the Sahara, or to avoid becoming prey on the Serengeti ?

Strangely, none of those things seems to take much intelligence in your view.

P.S - Not that all African live this type of life. There are modern cities like anywhere else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AverageExcellence
We need a scramble for Africa round 2 and sort all the mess out we left behind

Meh. It could help a few hundred or thousand people, but it could also be lost in the blackhole that is Africa.

Original post by zaynsmaliks
this is such a racist thread

:nopity:

Original post by ShotsFired-9941
I'm genuinely interested to know what you've learnt at uni and what you do for a living

What has any of that got to do with this? Try to keep it relevant kiddo.

We can at least try to install transparent instruments of government to help them help themselves
We can at least try to install transparent instruments of government to help them help themselves

Many countries have been trying that for decades, at great cost. We build them up, they tear them down. Why bother?
Many countries have been trying that for decades, at great cost. We build them up, they tear them down. Why bother?

There was never any of that in africa, you can't arbitrarily tear down proper constitutions. We just pulled the entire infrastructure under their feet. Nobody is surprised they have turned into dictatorships because they were dictatorships before we left, so the immense power vaccuum just got filled with more despots.

Please give me an example of a proper functioning government which has collapsed as soon as the occupying power has left? one that isn't a minority rule
But the west was built by Africans... Smh :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was never any of that in africa, you can't arbitrarily tear down proper constitutions. We just pulled the entire infrastructure under their feet. Nobody is surprised they have turned into dictatorships because they were dictatorships before we left, so the immense power vaccuum just got filled with more despots.

Please give me an example of a proper functioning government which has collapsed as soon as the occupying power has left? one that isn't a minority rule
The west tries to move those countries one way or another but it's difficult because they pull away and start doing what they want. African nations are susceptible to rise and fall, because those that don't turn corrupt are often marred by tribal disputes for example. Then if you throw religion into the mix, you have a complicated situation. Rebel factions be they religious, tribal, or otherwise have a habit of sweeping across nations like wildfire. By the time anyone in the West gets off their asses and does something, hundreds if not thousands of people are already dead. This is just how it is over there, and it's been going on for so long It's naive and arrogant to think that we can change it our way.

Original post by WaywardWriter
But the west was built by Africans... Smh :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The west was built by Westerners. Africa/Africans don't get the credit just because Westerners descended from Africa many many moons ago.
Original post by Keyhofi
More we feed them the more their population grows and the more we have to feed. It is an endless cycle that has two possible endings.

1. They develop enough to become self-sustained.
or
2. They become too large to support (especially if the West is hit by an economic downturn) which causes mass famine and death, much more than what there would have been if we hadn't supported them.

We all hope for the first option, but we need to accept that the other could happen.

For that reason we need to keep aid to a minimum to buy us as much time as possible.

Or... we could invest in education in Africa to drive down the birth rate and raise standards in medicine and healthcare?!

Because - morally - if we can help, we should. No country has had an easy path to prosperity, and it may take decades if not centuries for proper stability but it will be worth it in the end.

Latest

Trending

Trending