The Student Room Group

"I am not a feminist"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Morality
That is what I took issue with. What traditional British times were you thinking of?

What traditional British times? None.
Sounds like an argument about semantics :yawn:
Reply 22
Original post by LEuphoria
My primary thought is why, if one believes in equality for all genders, would they refuse to identify as a feminist?

Feminism about advancing the rights of women...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Popcorns
Freeeeeeak. No one asked you to call yourself a feminist go to bed.

I don't know what's better - the ad hominem and condescending behaviour that says nothing about the image itself as I clearly say in OP, or the fact that you leaped to conclusions and jumped down my throat despite A) me having written the title in quotes and B) me not having stated whether I'm a feminist or not. Who told you I'm not just playing devil's advocate? People like you are the ones that give feminism a bad name.
Original post by localblackguy
I don't know what's better - the ad hominem and condescending behaviour that says nothing about the image itself as I clearly say in OP, or the fact that you leaped to conclusions and jumped down my throat despite A) me having written the title in quotes and B) me not having stated whether I'm a feminist or not. Who told you I'm not just playing devil's advocate? People like you are the ones that give feminism a bad name.
Excuse me did I make claim to being a feminist? No I didn't. Do I think feminism is a good cause, yes!

Do I think your thread title puts across a message that feminism is the problem above all else? Yes.

Ad hominem...Well seen as it's a silly thread the creation of which was by yourself I think we need to accept that there's probably character behind it and perhaps just perhaps that character is questionable.

Also you know how good it feels to say some things at the drop of a hat :h: feel it deep feel it loooow
Excuse me did I make claim to being a feminist? No I didn't. Do I think feminism is a good cause, yes!

Do I think your thread title puts across a message that feminism is the problem above all else? Yes.

Ad hominem...Well seen as it's a silly thread the creation of which was by yourself I think we need to accept that there's probably character behind it and perhaps just perhaps that character is questionable.

Also you know how good it feels to say some things at the drop of a hat :h: feel it deep feel it loooow

..well now you have.

Oh really? How so? It literally is "I am not a feminist" - there's really nothing much to take from that.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you're still jumping to conclusions and ad homs over "I am not a feminist" and 'Thoughts on this?'.

So you admit to saying things at the drop of a hat in your first post then?
..well now you have.

Oh really? How so? It literally is "I am not a feminist" - there's really nothing much to take from that.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you're still jumping to conclusions and ad homs over "I am not a feminist" and 'Thoughts on this?'.

So you admit to saying things at the drop of a hat in your first post then?
You're a bit silly choosing to only respond to me when I obviously wasn't giving the topic the time of day...
You're a bit silly choosing to only respond to me when I obviously wasn't giving the topic the time of day...

You're the only one who said anything to me, rather than the topic at hand
Original post by Dandaman1
A brief stint on Jezebel or even some time spent at university should answer that question rather quickly.

Feminism today has completely lost it, to put it frankly. Even the 'moderates' rally behind the most moronic, hypocritical campaigns in droves, all the while completely oblivious to how nuts and illogical the movement is becoming.

If its commonly given definition is to be believed, it is supposed to be about gender equality and fairness for all. But instead it gives us false information, rape hysteria, gender bias, relentless persecution, inequitable social policies, censorship, and absolutely mind-numbing melodrama over the stupidest, first-world-problemiest crap imaginable.

That's why.

Oh my gosh I love this because this is spot on exactly what men in the late 19th century would have said about the suffragettes - "Why this moronic rallying behind the notion that women should vote? Do they even need to vote?" You use some beautiful adjectives in here but have zero evidence to back it up. Relentless persecution?! Read about the Salem Witch Trials. Maybe this mind-numbing melodrama is needed for people like you to understand, because let's not forget it took a world war and a woman to throw herself in front of a horse to get us ladies some say in the world of politics.
Original post by cloudyskies
Oh my gosh I love this because this is spot on exactly what men in the late 19th century would have said about the suffragettes - "Why this moronic rallying behind the notion that women should vote? Do they even need to vote?" You use some beautiful adjectives in here but have zero evidence to back it up. Relentless persecution?! Read about the Salem Witch Trials. Maybe this mind-numbing melodrama is needed for people like you to understand, because let's not forget it took a world war and a woman to throw herself in front of a horse to get us ladies some say in the world of politics.

Why does everyone glamorise the Suffragettes?

1. Suffragettes didn't die for their right to vote. One suffragette died, she walked in-front of a horse. Channel 4 recently did an investigation around it and accepted she wasn't trying to martyr herself, it was a massive accident. Aside from that, women didn't die for their right to vote.

2. Women were granted suffrage at the same time universal suffrage was extended to men (1918), however only women over the age of 30. Men didn't have universal suffrage until 10 years before universal suffrage was extended to women. Many men campaigned for the right of women to vote. Men died in their hundreds and thousands for their right to vote (after being shamed by women into going to war, see the white feather campaign), women had it handed to them 10 years later.

3. Why is anyone under the impression history was just some sort of never-ending joy ride for men? It's nonsense. The vast, vast majority of men were utterly impoverished - history wasn't just crap for women, it was crap for everyone. They were subjected to some of the harshest punishments you can imagine, most of which women weren't subjected to. They died in their millions on the battlefields. The reason women didn't work was pretty simple: the vast, vast majority of the jobs available were backbreaking and horrendously dangerous forms of manual labour.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Why does everyone glamorise the Suffragettes?

1. Suffragettes didn't die for their right to vote. One suffragette died, she walked in-front of a horse. Channel 4 recently did an investigation around it and accepted she wasn't trying to martyr herself, it was a massive accident. Aside from that, women didn't die for their right to vote.

2. Women were granted suffrage at the same time universal suffrage was extended to men (1918), however only women over the age of 30. Men didn't have universal suffrage until 10 years before universal suffrage was extended to women. Many men campaigned for the right of women to vote. Men died in their hundreds and thousands for their right to vote (after being shamed by women into going to war, see the white feather campaign), women had it handed to them 10 years later.

3. Why is anyone under the impression history was just some sort of never-ending joy ride for men? It's nonsense. The vast, vast majority of men were utterly impoverished - history wasn't just crap for women, it was crap for everyone. They were subjected to some of the harshest punishments you can imagine, most of which women weren't subjected to. They died in their millions on the battlefields. The reason women didn't work was pretty simple: the vast, vast majority of the jobs available were backbreaking and horrendously dangerous forms of manual labour.

Thanks for sharing this - the information about the suffragettes is new to me and I'm glad to have been better informed about it now :smile:

Although I do believe in the "history was crap to everyone", there is a history of female oppression that unfortunately,still exists today. I thought this timehttp://www.historyofwomen.org/oppression.ht
That's deep. I'm definitely not eathier

Posted from TSR Mobile
While I support the concept behind feminism which is equality under the law I certainly cannot ally with the current mainstream feminist movement which is often anti-male, completely nutty and seeks to destroy gender norms. I'm fine with the female mechanic or male ballerina however I certainly don't want women who act like men or men who who act like women.

What's worse is that modern feminists are often very narrow minded. Even if feminism is more common than negative in their opinion, they often won't acknowledge a single disadvantage.
Thoughts on this?

I'll just provide you with a synonym for that statement and then the stupidity of your argument will be more widely recognized. You have essentially stated "I am sexist" since feminism entails the equality of gender. You have now said that you believe women should be subordinated in society probably because your too worried about your own male ego.
Original post by PsychoticWiz
I'll just provide you with a synonym for that statement and then the stupidity of your argument will be more widely recognized. You have essentially stated "I am sexist" since feminism entails the equality of gender. You have now said that you believe women should be subordinated in society probably because your too worried about your own male ego.

..and yet another one. The below quote (from this thread) says it all:

Original post by rockrunride
Sounds like an argument about semantics :yawn:

Not at all. It's incredibly important. Certainly the most important argument in our time on the left. Do we think equality depends on various classes of people involved in a class-based power exchange and all assumed to act in much the same way (~Labour), or do we think it's about individuals, equality of opportunity, freedom of choice (~Lib Dem)?

Because feminists demand as a point of dogma that you believe the first. They say happily, "You believe in equality? Congratulations! You're a feminist!" But the problem is with their definition of equality. It soon turns out that you have to believe in what they think equality is in order to be a feminist, and vice versa.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm fine with the female mechanic or male ballerina however I certainly don't want women who act like men or men who act like women.

But what does it mean to act like a man/woman? Why are certain actions gendered?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending