The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do women feel the need to sexualise themselves in public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phoebe-fuller
Firstly, women don't dress for the sole purpose of impressing men.
Secondly, women aren't sexualising themselves by wearing clothing. That is YOU who is sexualising their body based on what clothes they are wearing.

oh really? I was wearing a pair of shorts today and I saw women ogling at my legs today (I have well built legs/calves).

That is JUST wearing shorts. Imagine if David Beckham walked along in a pair of boxers - are you saying women wouldn't ogle at him and sexualise him? Of course they would you delusional little muppet.
Original post by VergeofInsanity
oh really? I was wearing a pair of shorts today and I saw women ogling at my legs today (I have well built legs/calves).

That is JUST wearing shorts. Imagine if David Beckham walked along in a pair of boxers - are you saying women wouldn't ogle at him and sexualise him? Of course they would you delusional little muppet.

Literally at no point in my response did I say that women don't objectify men. I think this is an equally valid issue. If this thread had been titled "why do men walk around with no shirts on in summer" I would literally have made the valid point that you just raised. I think people should be able to wear whatever they want without fear of this kind of thing. In no part of any what I have said have I personally insulted anyone, and I am willing to have a reasonable debate with you. However if you insist on throwing out insults to try and make your point then I afraid I'm nit willing to do tha
Lack of personal/familial morality
Lack of personal depth//mental wisdom
Lack of paternal/fraternal discipline
Society lacks morality, discipline
Literally at no point in my response did I say that women don't objectify men. I think this is an equally valid issue. If this thread had been titled "why do men walk around with no shirts on in summer" I would literally have made the valid point that you just raised. I think people should be able to wear whatever they want without fear of this kind of thing. In no part of any what I have said have I personally insulted anyone, and I am willing to have a reasonable debate with you. However if you insist on throwing out insults to try and make your point then I afraid I'm nit willing to do tha

perhaps i was hasty, so sorry. the problem is where do you draw the line? shall we walk around naked? is it good/normal that 12 year old girls walk around with shorts that show parts of their bum? i don't see how it can be.

I just feel like women are stubborn on this for reasons I can't understand.
Care to elaborate? Not arguing with you I'm just interested in why you think that.

If a woman is walking down the street with a full face of make up and a low cut top or short shorts she's choosing to sexualise herself. She knows that people look at her and find her sexually attractive because she has her boobs/bum out

Posted from TSR Mobile
perhaps i was hasty, so sorry. the problem is where do you draw the line? shall we walk around naked? is it good/normal that 12 year old girls walk around with shorts that show parts of their bum? i don't see how it can be.

I just feel like women are stubborn on this for reasons I can't understand.

I can understand your frustrations. I don't think feminists are necessarily campaigning for us all to walk around naked, I think they would like the freedom to do some of the things men can. I fully agree that men are sexualised, however the issue is that a boy walking around without their shirt off would for the most part attract 'ogling' as you say, whereas a female doing the same thing would be shamed. All this despite the fact that breasts are not sexual organs.
I can understand your frustrations. I don't think feminists are necessarily campaigning for us all to walk around naked, I think they would like the freedom to do some of the things men can. I fully agree that men are sexualised, however the issue is that a boy walking around without their shirt off would for the most part attract 'ogling' as you say, whereas a female doing the same thing would be shamed. All this despite the fact that breasts are not sexual organs.

but if they are not sexual organs they why do women feel the need to cover their nipple area? many women let alot of it hang out but they would never let it all so why not?
but if they are not sexual organs they why do women feel the need to cover their nipple area? many women let alot of it hang out but they would never let it all so why not?

I'm afraid we're singing from the same hymn sheet!
I'm afraid we're singing from the same hymn sheet!

but we are not. if women were comfortable showing their whole boobs then they would do, but they are obviously not. I doubt that women would want random guys seeing all their boobs - for what reason? It's intimate to a woman and therefore she considers it a sexual object.
but we are not. if women were comfortable showing their whole boobs then they would do, but they are obviously not. I doubt that women would want random guys seeing all their boobs - for what reason? It's intimate to a woman and therefore she considers it a sexual object.

I don't think you can generalise, some women would be comfortable and others wouldn't. I don't think women want to walk around naked, but they want the freedom to.
I don't think you can generalise, some women would be comfortable and others wouldn't. I don't think women want to walk around naked, but they want the freedom to.

exactly so it IS a sexual organ, or at least in the eyes of many women.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
1. Don't date women who dress like s***s. I know, it's crass, but invariably there's some underlying psychological issue behind why a girl would wear a skirt which barely covers her genitalia. More often than not it has something to do with her Father and his inability to validate her.

2. Women will spend their entire lives, and all their energy, telling you they don't dress to impress men or they dress for themselves - they dress in a certain way because it makes them 'feel better.' Women are far, far, far more influenced by the general collective opinion of 'men' than they'd have you believe (much in the way we bend to adapt to their behavioural traits, or wants and needs). When/if you meet a truly honest woman, one who is happy to share with you, you'll better understand the commonly presented, if not universal, dynamics between men and women.

In reality, the dynamic - the REAL dynamic, not the "I'm a woman hear me roar" tumblr dynamic - hasn't changed much in the last 50 years, nor will it. Women want status and security, men want sex. The only interruption to this dynamic is your average 21st century middle-class radical feminist, who wants to tear down existing power structures, professes the world is ruled by 'white male privilege' and lacks the ability to address any issue without attacking people based on identity or the sacrosanct human condition known as 'her feelings.' Her perception is her reality, her feelings are logic, your logic is blasphemy.

In reality, I get the impression the very small minority of radical feminist women who pollute the internet are just so utterly pissed off and irate that they can't find a man to call them on all their bull****, or tell them to shut the f**k up. What should we expect though? We've spent decades feminising boys or deeming that 'femininity' is the only acceptable behavioural standard.

Nailed it. They should have shut the thread after this post.

One of the first things men should learn is read a woman by her actions - not by what she says.
exactly so it IS a sexual organ, or at least in the eyes of many women.

Breasts are for feeding babies.they are not a sexual organ.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Jesus. On the grand scale of things people suffer from in life, 'being stared at by a middle aged man' is pretty much at the bottom. THIS is what saddens you?

Right now Boko Haram are burning boys alive and chopping their heads off. You have as much control over middle aged men staring at young women as you do over that, yet your attention seems fixated on an entirely irrelevant problem.

NOTE: women don't want 'nice guys.' Pretending to care about their feelings, or dramatising and sensationalising their experiences to the point they meet the definition of 'oppression', won't get you laid. They'll tell you how nice you are, but they'll lose pretty much all respect for you in the process.

Women aren't infantile. They aren't made of glass. Treat them like women, much in the way they want to treat you like a man. Don't disrespect them, but don't infantilise them either - the latter is far worse than the former.

red pill?
Original post by Mason_
When you say wearing revealing clothing you probably mean high skirts/shorts, tank tops etc. This clothing shows legs, thighs, arms and shoulders. None of which are sexual parts of the body so yes it is YOUR fault for sexualising it. They are not showing their vaginas or nipples? which if they were then maybe you would be right because they are sexual parts of the body. If men want to sexualise any other part of the body then that's their own problem, don't expect women to change their clothes for your faltered sense of what is sexual.

pretty dumb argument you have there.

Women know very well that men will be sexually attracted to outfits which are more revealing - its just part of who we are. You can't therefore blame men for sexualising women when they are wearing it.
It's like driving round in a car made of gold and then complaining when people stare at it. Get a more normal car if you don't want to be stared at (sexualised).
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
I'm a woman and 90% of the time I dress sexy is because I want to feel sexy- not for men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you've just agreed with him.

Why would you want to walk around feeling sexy. You're gonna say 'confidence' I know. But that confidence will stem from people (mostly men) looking at you approvingly, they might even come up and chat to you. That proves you're doing it for men. You're doing it to get approval from men
Original post by Shabalala
most other men think women wearing revealing clothing can be attractive if done right (I.e not some fat 20 stone girl with rolls of fat sticking out) me included the female body is beautiful and not something that needs to be hidden away. So what gives you the right to judge and criticise what women do with their own body, more and more people are being sexually liberated these days since religion plays a smaller and smaller part in our life, people don't regard sex as a massive deal anymore it's fun and exciting so why shouldn't young men and women have sex with each other without being judged. Males and Females trying to attract each other's attention is about as old fashioned and as natural as it gets.

Best response
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I wear what I want because I like it. I don't give a **** if no-one else does. The clothes I put on MY body are none of your business. There is nothing inherently sexual about a short skirt or a low-cut top. If YOU see that as sexual, YOU are the problem.

I am not dressing for anyone else. If anyone else looks at my body in an inappropriate way that is their wrong decision. Not mine for my outfit. Is it not better to tell the 'middle aged men' (as well as everyone else) that they should respect people rather than restrict women's clothing choices because men are too arrogant or lazy to control their gaze?

you've proved yourself wrong there.
"control their gaze" - that implies they are struggling to control their gaze. You've acknowledged therefore that men will look at you more if you wear revealing clothing. So although you say you're not dressing for anyone else you consciously know that if you put on revealing outfits more men will look at you.
If you're bitter about men looking at you why on earth would you wear revealing clothing. Its like driving round in a car made of solid gold and being angry at everyone who stares at it.

You also talk about respecting people. How can one respect someone who is actively trying to constantly seek validation from men she has never met before. Bonkers
Original post by amyanne98
As a woman, I have just as much responsibility as a man does.

I wouldn't agree with that as such. A man walking down a street topless is not something that would bring so much attention to anyone really, or be seen as sexual, as it is quite a normal thing, it happens often. But as soon as a woman does so much as wear a crop top or short shorts, it seems cause massive controversy as we are expected to 'show more respect for ourselves'.

Women obviously don't seem to have the same rights as men in these situations, because threads like these would not be appearing, women could wear what they wanted, and our bodies would not be sexualised. In my sixth form, girls cannot wear crop tops, shorter shorts or even tank tops because they're "inappropriate" and "distracting". We get told off for cleavage, which we cannot help - it's our anatomy. And never have I heard of a boy being sent home or asked to change/cover up because his top was too low.

I also believe men are more judgemental than other women. It's constantly, "why do you dress like that? Why do you wear so much makeup? Boys don't find it attractive". I hear that much more than I hear other girls bitching about each other.

Your conclusions are fairly logical but its your foundations that bring you to the wrong conclusions.

In the dating world its men who go out and get women. Not the other way round. Men go out of their way to talk to women not the other way round. In that case women need to be presentable, looking sexy, for men to want to talk to her. From this you can see that when women wear something revealing they are sending out a signal to all men saying hey come get me. Men on the other hand have no need to be revealing because they are the ones approaching the women. Women look for alpha-ness mostly (which is embedded into personality), men look for looks. Of course the guy needs to be attractive to but its not the key feature. Proof of this is that when women are in their 20s they are at their most sexual activeness in the life because thats when they're most attractive. Men on the other hand are more sexual in their 30s. This is because womens attraction to them is a lot more alpha personality based.

And there you have it.
Original post by sqwertylol
you've proved yourself wrong there.
"control their gaze" - that implies they are struggling to control their gaze. You've acknowledged therefore that men will look at you more if you wear revealing clothing. So although you say you're not dressing for anyone else you consciously know that if you put on revealing outfits more men will look at you.
If you're bitter about men looking at you why on earth would you wear revealing clothing. Its like driving round in a car made of solid gold and being angry at everyone who stares at it.

You also talk about respecting people. How can one respect someone who is actively trying to constantly seek validation from men she has never met before. Bonkers

I'm not 'seeking validation' from anyone. Just because I know that in certain clothes that people may judge me or perv on me doesn't mean that's what I want to happen or that I should either accept it or change my style. Why is it that some people are so arrogant that they can't imagine that anyone doesn't want to know what they think of them?

And you can respect people whatever they are wearing because they are humans and what you think about their clothes is irrelevant.

Latest

Trending

Trending