The Student Room Group

Why English people don't invite me round their home for food?

Scroll to see replies

And where are you from my friend?
Original post by _icecream
And where are you from my friend?

he is either from the third world / troll from the first world
Original post by Mr JB
British people in general are inhospitable, unwelcoming and pretty cold. People tend to keep to themselves, stay in, complain about every little thing from people on the tube to having too many sugars in their tea and then when it comes to anything serious that requires some sort of effort, they'd rather just wallow in an apathetic manner.

This may be true in London and in the bigger cities, but we often have our neighbours round where I live and everyone on our road is lovely. :h:
Reply 23
Original post by Law-Hopeful
This may be true in London and in the bigger cities, but we often have our neighbours round where I live and everyone on our road is lovely. :h:

Not disputing this. My comment was an obvious generalisation.
Original post by kendellex
How I hate stereotypes.
We are very welcoming and we actually do say hello to others in public transport and we don't all have bad teeth (that was the weirdest one I heard).

We're just misunderstood. We're very friendly, just more reserved in the way we show it.

And it's not that Brits have bad teeth, it's that Americans have shiny white fake teeth, so they don't know what real teeth look like. :biggrin:
Original post by driftawaay
he is either from the third world / troll from the first world

where is the third world?
Original post by Octohedral
We're just misunderstood. We're very friendly, just more reserved in the way we show it.

And it's not that Brits have bad teeth, it's that Americans have shiny white fake teeth, so they don't know what real teeth look like. :biggrin:

My friend is German and they she believed we have bad teeth. Maybe it's too much Jezza Kyle 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bengali
^UKIP voter

Yes, a UKIP voter that describes the English as animals and creates a thread that is clearly insulting the English.

They are either foreign or a troll, and nothing they have said resonates with a UKIP voter.

Original post by ManiWembley
In our tradition always the women are doing the cooking for friend/relative lots of rice, bread init the whole works. Always spending lot of time doing the preparation aswell as making sure the home looks nice, but why the English they are not doing this thing. Only they are putting crisps on the table and going to the pub and the women they are not doing the home thing isnt it. Why in English home aswell they are having paper and not water jug cos otherwise when they are doing the motions ya how they are getting clean? So why all these things. I was not expecting English people to be like animal get me.
Reply 28
Original post by Bill_Gates
where is the third world?

British arrogance makes you laugh doesn't it? These places that they label as the third world often are doing much better than them in certain areas and in some ways these people fail to realise that Britain is pretty average.
Original post by Mr JB
British arrogance makes you laugh doesn't it? These places that they label as the third world often are doing much better than them in certain areas and in some ways these people fail to realise that Britain is pretty average.

Britain is pretty average. Living standards are falling fast, guess they will become more racist as standards and expectations drop.

"Third world" is creating bigger economies than the west with faster growth.
Reply 30
Original post by Bill_Gates
Britain is pretty average. Living standards are falling fast, guess they will become more racist as standards and expectations drop.

"Third world" is creating bigger economies than the west with faster growth.

I live in a 'developing country' and have a far better life quality than many back in the UK, or than even I did back in the UK. I knew my life back in the UK would be a constant struggle. I'd work for some corporation slaving away until my pension years, if I hadn't already been driven mad by that point and put on some lovely prescription meds, and thats it. I got out just after the last election results and its not because of the Tories getting in but because I knew the decline in living standards would continue and continue and as you have pointed out, inequality, division and tensions would continue to rise. I'm glad I got out whilst I could. Its no coincidence so many medical practitioners, engineers and teachers are doing the same leading to a skills shortage all over again.
Original post by Mr JB
I live in a 'developing country' and have a far better life quality than many back in the UK, or than even I did back in the UK. I knew my life back in the UK would be a constant struggle. I'd work for some corporation slaving away until my pension years, if I hadn't already been driven mad by that point and put on some lovely prescription meds, and thats it. I got out just after the last election results and its not because of the Tories getting in but because I knew the decline in living standards would continue and continue and as you have pointed out, inequality, division and tensions would continue to rise. I'm glad I got out whilst I could. Its no coincidence so many medical practitioners, engineers and teachers are doing the same leading to a skills shortage all over again.

Well done, thinking of leaving myself too. Already have another base set up.
Reply 32
Original post by Mr JB
Generalisations are often bred out of collective shared opinion. Only an idiot would believe someone was talking about 100% of people when making a generalisation.

And I'm sure that this is the first thing you would say to defend someone ranting and generalising about an ethnic or religious group as you did a whole nation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Ascend
And I'm sure that this is the first thing you would say to defend someone ranting and generalising about an ethnic or religious group as you did a whole nation.

Not at all. Generalisations are generalisations. It's not exactly hard to spot when someone is generalising, and that alone does not negate the points made by them at all. Furthermore, your point couldn't be more wrong. I'm not a reactionist who has succumbed to newspeak and thought crimes aka political correctness and often used to shut down discussion by liberal bigots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending