The Student Room Group

Over population and your personal responsibility.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I'll put it bluntly. The planet has a finite surface area. Food production uses land, and therefore it cannot increase indefinitely. Even if you refuse to see that we are overpopulated now, if we continue to increase the size of our population, we will eventually reach a crisis in which we can't increase our food production fast enough. Why not curtail population growth now, before we reach that point? Why forego the ounce of prevention in favour of the pound of cure?

And how exactly do you suggest we stop the increasing population?
Reply 81
Original post by DiddyDec

We could stop subsidizing births and helping Africans with food and medicines.

Various ways: better education surrounding the topic of overpopulation, better availability of contraceptives, and perhaps some sort of government encouragement of families with two children or fewer. (Policies that strictly limit the number of children families can have generally don't seem to work well.)

A good first step would be convincing people like Rakas that there is in fact a crisis here, and that having 3+ children is doing society a disservice.
Various ways: better education surrounding the topic of overpopulation, better availability of contraceptives, and perhaps some sort of government encouragement of families with two children or fewer. (Policies that strictly limit the number of children families can have generally don't seem to work well.)

A good first step would be convincing people like Rakas that there is in fact a crisis here, and that having 3+ children is doing society a disservice.

How is any of tgis goibg to work in the third world?
Whether the planet is overpopulated is debatable. There are probably far too many humans than any planet should have to deal with though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell the many millions of air heads that the gene pool REALLY doesn't need their genetics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm selfish. So I'll have as many kids as I want.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Tell the many millions of air heads that the gene pool REALLY doesn't need their genetics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell them or make them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
Multiple factors. Whereas the rest of the world has developed over the past 40 years, Africa has gone backwards with the help of the IMF.

Not true at all. Africa has developed enourmously over the past 50 years. Vaccinations rates, women in education, and economic development have improved hugely, child mortality and fertility are down.

Original post by Josb
We could stop subsidizing births and helping Africans with food and medicines.

You've got it the wrong way round! When you reduce child mortality you reduce birth rates as families don't need to produce replacements or spare children.

Tell them or make them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. Telling them will have no effect and making them would be a breach of their 'right' to have kids and will probably result in a sob story in the Daily Mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enforcing population controls on yourselves or others cannot be the answer. The fact is that in developing countries where there is no social security, people are compelled to have many kids (in many cases they try for a son after many daughters) so as to have financial and shelter security in their old age. You cannot bring down birth rates until there is faster international development via the creation of more equitable international economic institutions. The IMF, the World Bank or WTO are dogmatically free-trade and their structural adjustments have already wreaked havoc on the infant industries of developing economies.

EDIT: I plan to have no kids. Cant stand the blasted things.
Reply 91
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
Enforcing population controls on yourselves or others cannot be the answer. The fact is that in developing countries where there is no social security, people are compelled to have many kids (in many cases they try for a son after many daughters) so as to have financial and shelter security in their old age. You cannot bring down birth rates until there is faster international development via the creation of more equitable international economic institutions. The IMF, the World Bank or WTO are dogmatically free-trade and their structural adjustments have already wreaked havoc on the infant industries of developing economies.

EDIT: I plan to have no kids. Cant stand the blasted things.

I agree with you, but, they are NOT blasted things. They are actually really cool, fun and loveable people....quite frankly, they are a lot more intelligent than a vast majority of adults.
Original post by NHM713
I agree with you, but, they are NOT blasted things. They are actually really cool, fun and loveable people....quite frankly, they are a lot more intelligent than a vast majority of adults.

I prefer other animals over humans but cute children (the behaved ones) are some of the very few humans I can stand :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Moonstruck16
I prefer other animals over humans but cute children (the behaved ones) are some of the very few humans I can stand :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, IKR. Lets be honest, they're all a little crazy and mischievous at some point, but, I've literally learnt stuff from them.
Reply 94
I'll put it bluntly. The planet has a finite surface area. Food production uses land, and therefore it cannot increase indefinitely. Even if you refuse to see that we are overpopulated now, if we continue to increase the size of our population, we will eventually reach a crisis in which we can't increase our food production fast enough. Why not curtail population growth now, before we reach that point? Why forego the ounce of prevention in favour of the pound of cure?

There are vertical farms, obviously for vegetation only. Eating meat is so last year.
Original post by NHM713

Well to each their own I say. Peace!
Reply 96
Original post by TheReader
Responsibility of people in developed countries is to reproduce more as there is either no net increase in their countries or even a population decline.

What does their net increase have to do with overpopulation?

That's not really a danger though because productivity growth and output increase faster than the global population.

Lets say the average age of finishing having children is 30, the population 7 billion and the globe has 2.6 (and falling statistically) children per 2 people, that means that the global population increases by 4.2 billion over 30 years but in percentage terms that's still only 60% which if we divide by 30 is only population growth of 2% per year (less when we consider its compound). So output only has to increase by around 2% to be able to cope and the amount needed falls over time as the fertility rate does.

I also note you said in another post that the first step was to convince people like me who want 3 children.. but that becomes irrelevant when you consider that the UK already has a negative birth rate. People in the UK having less children will make no difference, it's Africa that you need to focus on.
Original post by chazwomaq
Not true at all. Africa has developed enourmously over the past 50 years. Vaccinations rates, women in education, and economic development have improved hugely, child mortality and fertility are down.

..deindustrialisation....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending