The Student Room Group

Should there only be two genders?

Scroll to see replies

This thread is an example of how to conflate something like gender with sex. It's only the latter classification that is based in biology (x and y chromosone pairings), but in colloquial language it's interchangeable because it has so much overlap. Gender is both a term about identity, and a legal term.
Reply 21
Original post by Mathemagicien
There are many, many non-binary genders, such as ‘bi-gender’, ‘pan-gender’, 'androgynous', ‘graysexual’, 'trendygender', ‘demi-boy’, ‘demi-girl, ‘bi-gender’, ‘trans-girl’, ‘trans-boy', ‘gender fluid', 'agender', 'non-binary', 'gender nonconforming', 'genderqueer', 'tri-gender', 'intersex', and lastly, but by no means least, 'all genders'.

The problem with many of the terms here like cis-gender, transgender and non-conforming, is that if gender is a spectrum like many people claim, then no-one is cis and everyone is trans. Likewise, if gender identity is a spectrum, then everyone is non-conforming as the two fixed points that allow you to define non-conformity disappear.

I think this is partially the reason why a lot of people resist the idea of anything other than having two fixed genders and everyone who doesn't subscribe to that is somekind of freak. There whole field of terminology is just so confusing and at times internally inconsistent like in the case of having cis-gender people on a spectrum.
Original post by Foxman
The problem with many of the terms here like cis-gender, transgender and non-conforming, is that if gender is a spectrum like many people claim, then no-one is cis and everyone is trans. Likewise, if gender identity is a spectrum, then everyone is non-conforming as the two fixed points that allow you to define non-conformity disappear.

I think this is partially the reason why a lot of people resist the idea of anything other than having two fixed genders and everyone who doesn't subscribe to that is somekind of freak. There whole field of terminology is just so confusing and at times internally inconsistent like in the case of having cis-gender people on a spectrum.

I completely agree - why did you quote me?
I think all these extra genders are for people to make themselves seem "different", or "special", people who assign themselves these different genders will grow out of it by the time they're middle aged
Reply 24
I completely agree - why did you quote me?

You listed the cavalcade of terms, especially cis-gender which I find problematic. But if we're in agreement then I must have misunderstood your point, so apologies for the false quotation. :smile:
Original post by Blue_Mason
But it just causes confusion.

We should do away with calculus as well.
Original post by Blondie987
Better to cause a little confusion than unhappiness in someone's only life

Exactly this tbh. ^^^

I can never be bothered with this debate. Let people be.
Original post by Foxman
You listed the cavalcade of terms, especially cis-gender which I find problematic. But if we're in agreement then I must have misunderstood your point, so apologies for the false quotation. :smile:

Oh, my post was edited... context isn't clear any more

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/posthistory.php?do=compare&p=62373239
(edited 8 years ago)
I just think people should be whoever they want. If they aren't hurting anyone, so what? Why does it matter to anyone other than that person? If they want to label themselves as something, they can. If they don't want a label and just want to be themselves, that's fine too. I personally think that gender is a spectrum, and no one should be treated differently or discriminated against because of how they identify. As long as the person is comfortable with themselves, it doesn't matter.
There are many, many non-binary genders, such as ‘bi-gender’, ‘pan-gender’, 'androgynous', ‘graysexual’, 'trendygender', ‘demi-boy’, ‘demi-girl, ‘bi-gender’, ‘trans-girl’, ‘trans-boy', ‘gender fluid', 'agender', 'non-binary', 'gender nonconforming', 'genderqueer', 'tri-gender', 'intersex', and lastly, but by no means least, 'all genders'.

wonder who proved all of these

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending