The Student Room Group

Why are ads for the royal navy, army and air force targeting women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Drewski
Leave combat, or leave the armed forces? Don't confuse the two.

And yeah, it's not. Does that mean they shouldn't try? It's the government that's charged the armed forces with recruiting a more representative selection, fwiw.

The rate is higher for both and I clearly said combat so why the confusion?

40% of the population is obese does that mean should lower standards for the military so they could try?
Reply 221
Original post by AlwaysWatching
4) why is that relevant? People will leave, the army knows this. Everyone leaves at some point. Why not recruit the best whilst they are in the prime if their years to get the job done

5) exactly, so why not try and at least let them attempt recruitment? They might not be the best soldier ever, but they'd certainly give them a run for their money. The fitness and aggression of ronada rousley is far higher than probably the bottom third of those in the regular and reserve infantry, from what I've seen anyway (as someone who's in the reserve infantry)

4) That's the whole point, they're not recruiting the best.

5)Did I state we should exclude women because of their reproductive organs? I said we should recruit only the most capable soldiers and personnel. Also, Holly Holm knocked the crap out of Ronda no debate there.
Original post by Ali1302

40% of the population is obese does that mean should lower standards for the military so they could try?

Because, frankly, you've got a lot of things confused in this thread so I wanted to know what you thought you were looking at. I don't see why it's an issue though, as pointed out above, everybody leaves the armed forces at some point. It's also true that people leave the technical trades earlier than they leave the more manual trades as they can seek more lucrative civilian employment. Should we not recruit for technical trades because of that?

Clearly not. But that's a silly comparison. Again you hark back to the argument that women are less capable across the board which simply isn't true.
Original post by Ali1302
4) That's the whole point, they're not recruiting the best.

5)Did I state we should exclude women because of their reproductive organs? I said we should recruit only the most capable soldiers and personnel. Also, Holly Holm knocked the crap out of Ronda no debate there.

Erm, leaving the army doesn't mean your crap at your job? 4 doesn't make sense.

5) well lets recruit the best people then into the jobs they are capable if doing then. Even if its only that ten that join, thats far better than having ten that could have joined, but instead we had to get ten fairly average male infantry soldiers to make up for it, rather than ten really good female infantry soldiers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ali1302

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLT51TR6B3M

would you **** with her or say that she's bad at her job? 30 years firearms officer, plus decades of military experience. Clearly capable with both violence, aggression and physical stress, as well as the intellectual challenges.

A prime example of a woman at the top of her game.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would love to join the air force as I respect the men of RAF who fought in WWII, but can't since I'm not allowed to fight against Muslims in general (not the 0.000001% terrorist scums) . However, now UK is leaving Afghanistan and I think in the future more muslims will join the military. P.S. I would love to bomb the **** out of ISIS!!

I wouldn't recommend women joining the infantry but they can do well in Air force and Navy for sure!
Original post by sam2222
I would love to join the air force as I respect the men of RAF who fought in WWII, but can't since I'm not allowed to fight against Muslims in general (not the 0.000001% terrorist scums) . However, now UK is leaving Afghanistan and I think in the future more muslims will join the military. P.S. I would love to bomb the **** out of ISIS!!

I wouldn't recommend women joining the infantry but they can do well in Air force and Navy for sure!

If you're really keen on it then it might be worth talking to these guys to hear the other side of the story.
Reply 227
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLT51TR6B3M

would you **** with her or say that she's bad at her job? 30 years firearms officer, plus decades of military experience. Clearly capable with both violence, aggression and physical stress, as well as the intellectual challenges.

A prime example of a woman at the top of her game.

One woman and a first at that, does this mean all women are as capable? NO
Original post by Ali1302

No, it means that some women are capable.

many men aren't capable of the physical challenges in the army, but as we can see by the fact that we have male soldiers, some are. So we let them in. We give them the opportunity to prove themselves.

There are female regular colonels and brigadiers. The video was of the first reservist. Just by looking at the links, we can see others.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqI-2FPn1Q
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 229
Erm, leaving the army doesn't mean your crap at your job? 4 doesn't make sense.

5) well lets recruit the best people then into the jobs they are capable if doing then. Even if its only that ten that join, thats far better than having ten that could have joined, but instead we had to get ten fairly average male infantry soldiers to make up for it, rather than ten really good female infantry soldiers.

When did I ever make that type of connection? Are you reading the same thread as I am.

5)I'm not even implying we exclude women, state one point in this thread were I say this? We shouldn't lower physical standards for women to achieve this.
Original post by Ali1302

Well no, but with modern technology size and quality of infantry makes no difference I think!
Reply 231
No, it means that some women are capable.

many men aren't capable of the physical challenges in the army, but as we can see by the fact that we have male soldiers, some are. So we let them in. We give them the opportunity to prove themselves.

That's right but if they had a vagina we'd give them a pass as physical standard are lower for women.
Original post by Drewski
If you're really keen on it then it might be worth talking to these guys to hear the other side of the story.

a bit late buddy, already got offers for chemical engineering :biggrin: but thx!
Reply 233
Original post by sam2222
Well no, but with modern technology size and quality of infantry makes no difference I think!

Technology doesn't make up for strength and endurance unless you plan on building an army of synthetic robots.
Reply 234
Original post by sam2222
a bit late buddy, already got offers for chemical engineering :biggrin: but thx!

You'd be better off, the military these days is only getting worse.
Original post by Ali1302
When did I ever make that type of connection? Are you reading the same thread as I am.

5)I'm not even implying we exclude women, state one point in this thread were I say this? We shouldn't lower physical standards for women to achieve this.

No one has argued that.
Reply 236
No one has argued that.

Then What's your point?
Original post by Ali1302
You'd be better off, the military these days is only getting worse.

Well, you're not wrong.
Original post by Ali1302
That's right but if they had a vagina we'd give them a pass as physical standard are lower for women.

Simply not true.

entry standards are different, but everyone has to do things like the AFT within a certain time depending on corps, not sex.
Original post by Ali1302
Then What's your point?

my point is that women should be allowed in all corps, if they can pass the tests to the same standard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending