Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is one thing that should be eradicated from this world? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purpleunicorn197)
    Isn't it that the love of money is the root of all evil?
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsout)
    So every religious person is stupid?

Like I always knew you were a moron, but now this is irrefutable proof.

I know Notable Noble prize winning scholars smarter than any and everyone you know who were religious, most of the men who advanced technology, medicine travel and communication were religious.

You're just another deluded atheist thinking he's better than everyone
    Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh. No not all religious people are stupid, religious belief itself, however, is stupid. I never claimed that, but I personally believe that in this day and age if you believe homosexuality should be illegal, people are to be burned for eternity not believing in certain ideas, humanity starting with 2 people and all that, one must either be stupid, dishonest, or disinterested in pursuing the truth. Those are all orthodox religious beliefs that I don't think belong to this world anymore, and I think rational thought with the advent of science should have eliminated those beliefs. And if you can become strictly religious without believing in such ideas, then you must be deceiving yourself because those are the pinnacles of most religions.

You're right that a lot of really smart people are religious, but I simply don't think they're religious because they believe in Moses splitting the sea or Muhammed flying on a winged horse, they probably believe in a higher power that might resonate with Christian beliefs or otherwise, they probably don't take religion too literally too, and that's something I respect.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get rid of hate.

ReputationRep:
    intolerance
    which has very large implications:
    laws banning things endlessly like our governments do wouldn't exist
    social intolerance towards races and genders wouldn't exist
    wars wouldn't occur
    trade would be free
    etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    I don't see any irony myself.
    Maybe irony was the wrong word.

In your post though you're saying that stupidity is a base of religion. This is an example of bigitory, something that you also claim has it's basis in stupidity.

I mean I disagree with you on the religious point. I'd class myself as religious and I'm most definitely not stupid. I just find it humorous the hole you've managed to dig yourself into with one sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Maybe irony was the wrong word.

In your post though you're saying that stupidity is a base of religion. This is an example of bigitory, something that you also claim has it's basis in stupidity.

I mean I disagree with you on the religious point. I'd class myself as religious and I'm most definitely not stupid. I just find it humorous the hole you've managed to dig yourself into with one sentence.
    Religious belief in my opinion is stupid, that does not necessitate that religious believers are stupid. I do genuinely believe that organised religion on the scale of Islam, Christianity and Judaism is stupid. I don't see how belief in a man on a flying horse or a god that orders his messengers to murder their own children is in anyway intellectual or enlightening. That being said, a lot of religious Christians don't take things like that too literally, those people I may regard as, well slightly dishonest, but not stupid in anyway. Also, people can have crazy beliefs and still be intelligent. Nikola Tesla believed a pigeon had fallen in love with him, literally, yet Tesla is perhaps the smartest mind that has ever existed.

I have no opinion of personal gods and general belief in higher power, and do not think of such beliefs as stupid at all, quite the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Religion.

Come at me
    Beat me to it, smh.

ReputationRep:
    Religious belief in my opinion is stupid, that does not necessitate that religious believers are stupid. I do genuinely believe that organised religion on the scale of Islam, Christianity and Judaism is stupid. I don't see how belief in a man on a flying horse or a god that orders his messengers to murder their own children is in anyway intellectual or enlightening. That being said, a lot of religious Christians don't take things like that too literally, those people I may regard as, well slightly dishonest, but not stupid in anyway. Also, people can have crazy beliefs and still be intelligent. Nikola Tesla believed a pigeon had fallen in love with him, literally, yet Tesla is perhaps the smartest mind that has ever existed.

I have no opinion of personal gods and general belief in higher power, and do not think of such beliefs as stupid at all, quite the contrary.
    Then you're still a bigot, and my original point stands.

Why do you consider people who don't take the entirety of their religion literally as dishonest?

ReputationRep:
    the brexit 😂

ReputationRep:
    Then you're still a bigot, and my original point stands.

Why do you consider people who don't take the entirety of their religion literally as dishonest?
    I am not bigoted because I would never dare discriminate against anyone for any thoughts or beliefs they might have, unless they're demonstrably evil, and as most religious people are quite good people, I wouldn't discriminate against them.

I think I understand the idea of interpretation, that you can interpret the Bible for example in anyway you like as long as you don't contradict the text, but I just don't see how someone may read something in the Bible, know some parts can't be true yet conclude that it doesn't debase the Bible as it was only figurative.

You see, I read the Quran, and it does have some beautiful verses, but it also has things like slavery of captured women and murder of whoever is against "god", which can encompass quite a lot of people. I didn't say well maybe that's figurative stuff, I concluded since the word of God can't contain tripe like this, therefore this can't be it. However, quite a lot of people then say no no the book is good and all, the ugly stuff is just figurative or it just needs to be interpreted in the right context, and I think that's just dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    Marmite

ReputationRep:
    I am not bigoted because I would never dare discriminate against anyone for any thoughts or beliefs they might have, unless they're demonstrably evil, and as most religious people are quite good people, I wouldn't discriminate against them.

I think I understand the idea of interpretation, that you can interpret the Bible for example in anyway you like as long as you don't contradict the text, but I just don't see how someone may read something in the Bible, know some parts can't be true yet conclude that it doesn't debase the Bible as it was only figurative.

You see, I read the Quran, and it does have some beautiful verses, but it also has things like slavery of captured women and murder of whoever is against "god", which can encompass quite a lot of people. I didn't say well maybe that's figurative stuff, I concluded since the word of God can't contain tripe like this, therefore this can't be it. However, quite a lot of people then say no no the book is good and all, the ugly stuff is just figurative or it just needs to be interpreted in the right context, and I think that's just dishonest.
    Then we will dissagree on this. I don't think it's dishonest, or that religion is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Then we will dissagree on this. I don't think it's dishonest, or that religion is stupid.
    The world would be boring without all the arguments between atheists and religious people, so I am glad we do disagree.

ReputationRep:
    feminism

ReputationRep:
    Feminism

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this triggers you, but I'd have to go with religion. Closely followed by leftists and feminism.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Okay I lied, I'm not sorry at all if I just triggered you.

ReputationRep:
    Firearms.

ReputationRep:
    Poverty

ReputationRep:
    Hatred

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Muslims.

Should get rid of them for obvious reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.