The Student Room Group

What is one thing that should be eradicated from this world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
I don't see any irony myself.

Maybe irony was the wrong word.

In your post though you're saying that stupidity is a base of religion. This is an example of bigitory, something that you also claim has it's basis in stupidity.

I mean I disagree with you on the religious point. I'd class myself as religious and I'm most definitely not stupid. I just find it humorous the hole you've managed to dig yourself into with one sentence.
Original post by Dheorl
Maybe irony was the wrong word.

In your post though you're saying that stupidity is a base of religion. This is an example of bigitory, something that you also claim has it's basis in stupidity.

I mean I disagree with you on the religious point. I'd class myself as religious and I'm most definitely not stupid. I just find it humorous the hole you've managed to dig yourself into with one sentence.

Religious belief in my opinion is stupid, that does not necessitate that religious believers are stupid. I do genuinely believe that organised religion on the scale of Islam, Christianity and Judaism is stupid. I don't see how belief in a man on a flying horse or a god that orders his messengers to murder their own children is in anyway intellectual or enlightening. That being said, a lot of religious Christians don't take things like that too literally, those people I may regard as, well slightly dishonest, but not stupid in anyway. Also, people can have crazy beliefs and still be intelligent. Nikola Tesla believed a pigeon had fallen in love with him, literally, yet Tesla is perhaps the smartest mind that has ever existed.

I have no opinion of personal gods and general belief in higher power, and do not think of such beliefs as stupid at all, quite the contrary.
Original post by ivy.98
Religion.

Come at me

Beat me to it, smh.
Original post by oShahpo
Religious belief in my opinion is stupid, that does not necessitate that religious believers are stupid. I do genuinely believe that organised religion on the scale of Islam, Christianity and Judaism is stupid. I don't see how belief in a man on a flying horse or a god that orders his messengers to murder their own children is in anyway intellectual or enlightening. That being said, a lot of religious Christians don't take things like that too literally, those people I may regard as, well slightly dishonest, but not stupid in anyway. Also, people can have crazy beliefs and still be intelligent. Nikola Tesla believed a pigeon had fallen in love with him, literally, yet Tesla is perhaps the smartest mind that has ever existed.

I have no opinion of personal gods and general belief in higher power, and do not think of such beliefs as stupid at all, quite the contrary.

Then you're still a bigot, and my original point stands.

Why do you consider people who don't take the entirety of their religion literally as dishonest?
the brexit 😂
Original post by Dheorl
Then you're still a bigot, and my original point stands.

Why do you consider people who don't take the entirety of their religion literally as dishonest?

I am not bigoted because I would never dare discriminate against anyone for any thoughts or beliefs they might have, unless they're demonstrably evil, and as most religious people are quite good people, I wouldn't discriminate against them.

I think I understand the idea of interpretation, that you can interpret the Bible for example in anyway you like as long as you don't contradict the text, but I just don't see how someone may read something in the Bible, know some parts can't be true yet conclude that it doesn't debase the Bible as it was only figurative.

You see, I read the Quran, and it does have some beautiful verses, but it also has things like slavery of captured women and murder of whoever is against "god", which can encompass quite a lot of people. I didn't say well maybe that's figurative stuff, I concluded since the word of God can't contain tripe like this, therefore this can't be it. However, quite a lot of people then say no no the book is good and all, the ugly stuff is just figurative or it just needs to be interpreted in the right context, and I think that's just dishonest.
Reply 226
Marmite
Original post by oShahpo
I am not bigoted because I would never dare discriminate against anyone for any thoughts or beliefs they might have, unless they're demonstrably evil, and as most religious people are quite good people, I wouldn't discriminate against them.

I think I understand the idea of interpretation, that you can interpret the Bible for example in anyway you like as long as you don't contradict the text, but I just don't see how someone may read something in the Bible, know some parts can't be true yet conclude that it doesn't debase the Bible as it was only figurative.

You see, I read the Quran, and it does have some beautiful verses, but it also has things like slavery of captured women and murder of whoever is against "god", which can encompass quite a lot of people. I didn't say well maybe that's figurative stuff, I concluded since the word of God can't contain tripe like this, therefore this can't be it. However, quite a lot of people then say no no the book is good and all, the ugly stuff is just figurative or it just needs to be interpreted in the right context, and I think that's just dishonest.

Then we will dissagree on this. I don't think it's dishonest, or that religion is stupid.
Original post by Dheorl
Then we will dissagree on this. I don't think it's dishonest, or that religion is stupid.

The world would be boring without all the arguments between atheists and religious people, so I am glad we do disagree.
feminism
Reply 230
Feminism
Firearms.
Reply 232
Poverty
Muslims.

Should get rid of them for obvious reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nidhoggr
Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And this would not me islamaphobic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminism in the Western World.
Original post by Nidhoggr
Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we should eradicate ignorance. For obvious reasons.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
feminism

Why so?
Reply 239
Not just one thing that needs to be eradicated but several things: Ignorance, Discrimination,Poverty and the list goes on ........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending