The Student Room Group

Surgical/Chemical castration of sex offenders?

Scroll to see replies

No. Firstly, it's a barbaric and medieval form of punishment. We should aim to rehabilitate; not mutilate. And if rehabilitation doesn't work, keep them incarcerated.

Secondly, people are often wrongly convicted for these crimes. Imagine if we castrated an innocent man.
Original post by 1010marina
If there is 100% proof (eg. Video) and you are a repeat offender then yes. First time offence then probably not, no...

I think MUCH tougher sentences are needed for rapists and abusers. You get a lot more for fighting than rape and it's not fair on victims

Why do people persist with this idea that you can be 100% sure of someone's guilt, it's literally impossible.

Original post by adesola15
Wouldn't the UN have a fit? It's a breach of human rights.

Spoiler

UN human rights are all but irrelevant, they have no binding authority. It would be contrary to the European Convention on Human Rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by hdog131313
Personally feel like violating a person's body because they violated someone's body is contradictory. I share that stance with killing a person because they killed someone. I think punishment in the form of deterring such behaviour shouldn't be so extreme that you violate a person. The court of law, I believe, is supposed to be morally superior to criminals. Sinking to the level of a rapist and violating them as a punishment would make me question and doubt the justice system completely.

See thats better, all i wanted was an answer like that, well made!)

Although personally i'm torn on the one hand i agree with your point but equally if theres a prolific and violent rapist/child molester around there comes a point when on the one hand you can lock them in a cell and throw away the key or try and make sure they cannot offend again i.e. some research indicates that having castrated someone chemically it can reduce such impulses when the hormones start to take effect. whilst locking them up simply costs a fortune and in essence just brushes the problem under the rug.

Original post by sleepysnooze
so if women rape men...?
yeah, something tells me this is just a punishment for men, isn't it.

Women can be chemically castrated as well... although seeing as female on male sexual assault tends to be alot rarer not to mention rather tricky it doesnt come up so much.
Original post by Robby2312
I wouldnt be happy and that is precisely why Im not allowed to make the decision about what happens to the rapist.I have a large bias in wanting the perpatrator punished so I dont get to choose.Its decided by a fair and impartial system or at least it would be ideally.I never said castrating people was to do with Islam I just made the comparison because its the same line of thinking.An eye for an eye.But thats a barbaric way of thinking.

I dont disagree at all i do stand by the point i make above though that simple detention really doesnt solve anything much and is comparable to putting a band aid on a severed artery...
Although an eye for an eye i'dsurmise does work to a point, its current implenentation is barbaric but the other section of code which allows the family of the victim a greater say in the out come to the point of monetary remuneration seems interesting.
Reply 23
Just no. Fundamentally disagree with it the same way I fundamentally disagree with the death penalty. A total breach of human rights.
Original post by Razamataz666
well considering i believe in castrating half of the earths population to find a solution to overpopulation that does not involve murder, i am definitely for this. And the death penalty.

The death penalty is flawed, you can't say someone can take another life on one hand (i.e death penalty) then if someone else does it then it becomes murder.

Then you get people who are innocent but found guilty, or guilty of something like self defence but its seen as murder, or someone who may have a moment of madness such as finding out their partner cheated on them and snaps then instanly regrets it, they need rehab not to be killed in retaliation.
Original post by Napp
What're peoples views on that as a potential punishment?

You rape a person or child you loose what enabled you to do it..?

Rather a steep price but i'm curious what people would think about that. Also worth noting that you cant technically rehabilitate a sex offender either and they have a terribly high rate of recidivism...

**** that **** it all. I'd rather ****ing die than have my ****ing dick castrated
Original post by Napp
See thats better, all i wanted was an answer like that, well made!)

Although personally i'm torn on the one hand i agree with your point but equally if theres a prolific and violent rapist/child molester around there comes a point when on the one hand you can lock them in a cell and throw away the key or try and make sure they cannot offend again i.e. some research indicates that having castrated someone chemically it can reduce such impulses when the hormones start to take effect. whilst locking them up simply costs a fortune and in essence just brushes the problem under the rug..

Yeah I think that if the convicted rapist received treatment and decided that they would like to be chemically castrated to control their impulses, then that's their decision. But forcing it upon them just screams 'double standards' to me.
I saw a Louis Theroux episode about sex offenders, and a man decided to be castrated (chemically, I think..), and because it was his choice I felt that was fine. And while people will argue "Why should they have a choice about their body when they didn't give their victim(s) a choice about their own?", I repeat that sinking to the level of a criminal in order to punish them is irrational when you're talking about the modern day justice system.
Reply 27
wouldn't the rapists then turn into murderers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending