The Student Room Group

Are kids nowadays getting dumber?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Becca.b
"its just my opinion" -how is that a meme?

no one says epic anymore sorry

Look at Youtube.
Original post by Dheorl
"I want to punch the memes inventor"... hardly a sentence oozing eloquence.

I'm not a fan of memes myself but it doesn't bother me much.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol m8 I bet u think this is awesum. so much win right, totes epic. u must have so many feels thinkin it's dope as **** and all, but it's the internet lol. keep calm and stop whining. wait, what? u think someone saying the wrong your/you're really matters? r u stupid oh yes u must be if u think any1 cares about interpunction as i said it's the internet lol. u need to chill, op. with regards to "this" tho, i hav 2 agree.

this fam, like seriously.

right now ur probably thinking "really"? honestly i dont know where ur negativity comes from. again, u need to chill, it's all good. if u wanna be less *****y I'm down for that. I'm good if not tho, no probs. just quit ur *****ing yeh? if u have a problem with all this it's just my opinion.

this
Reply 43
Original post by Chazmic
Children in this modern age have been nurtured far differently compared to the last generation that had been educated before it. Whilst tests are starting to get harder, their increase in difficulty has been the least of concern (This is referring to the new GCSEs that are rolling out this academic year for Maths and English). The actual cause of this is the spreading of social media and technology, which has lead to a larger split in academic performance as well as an overall change of language. People often type in shorthand simply because they do not wish to type the entire sentence out- as this has evolved throughout the early days of the internet. To refer to many of these quotes in the main post, they are simply changes in the masses, or what people may call the lowest common denominator. These people were often 'there' before the days of the internet, but they have shown a massive increase in publicity since the Internet has existed. People can now post anything they want, and because of this, stupidity has become public.

TL;DR the lives of people are evolving constantly with technology and the split of intelligence quotients has widened, leading to an overall idea that the public has become dumber (as people often view negative news stronger than positive news)
As you may recall from your philosophy lectures, technology is not solely to blame for human action, nor are humans to blame for what technology does. It is a problem that has to be carefully analyzed.

With this, I want to say that I have been there when the internet started and I have experienced every technological evolution since the 80's, but it has not made me dumber and I have not adapted shameless, lazy, linguistic rape. I have been through the 'SMS age' but that has not prevented me from always writing out full sentences in each text message.

People cannot really post anything they want. Every community on the internet has rules and guidelines (and even laws) you have to abide by. I can't go and yell and scream at everyone here and offend all I want, because otherwise I would be banned. Therefor, I cannot post anything I want.

Technology may evolve, but if you adapt to the masses you are weak and you lack the good qualities the past generation (me) was brought up with: integrity (not changing due to outside factors), morality and grace. As such, I was not affected at all by these early-age buffoon trendsetters. The word says it in itself: trends are for sheep.

I believe the real cause is parenting. If you want to see good parenting, why don't you take a look at this exemplary young lady:

[video="youtube;TjaM0tdxtYA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=TjaM0tdxtYA[/video]

Just look at her: creative, smart, integer. She doesn't follow the herd. That's a person you want to respect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by 571122
Did you enjoy wasting those 5 minutes of your life you will never get back?

Says the guy who made a thread on all this to begin with. :s-smilie:
Original post by 571122
As you may recall from your philosophy lectures, technology is not solely to blame for human action, nor are humans to blame for what technology does. It is a problem that has to be carefully analyzed.

With this, I want to say that I have been there when the internet started and I have experienced every technological evolution since the 80's, but it has not made me dumber and I have not adapted shameless, lazy, linguistic rape. I have been through the 'SMS age' but that has not prevented me from always writing out full sentences in each text message.

People cannot really post anything they want. Every community on the internet has rules and guidelines (and even laws) you have to abide by. I can't go and yell and scream at everyone here and offend all I want, because otherwise I would be banned. Therefor, I cannot post anything I want.

Technology may evolve, but if you adapt to the masses you are weak and you lack the good qualities the past generation (me) was brought up with: integrity (not changing due to outside factors), morality and grace. As such, I was not affected at all by these early-age buffoon trendsetters. The word says it in itself: trends are for sheep.

I believe the real cause is parenting. If you want to see good parenting, why don't you take a look at this exemplary young lady:

[video="youtube;TjaM0tdxtYA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=TjaM0tdxtYA[/video]

Just look at her: creative, smart, integer. She doesn't follow the herd. That's a person you want to respect.

What's with all these sheep calling people sheep.
The term you're looking for is linguistic prescriptivism. This is when people believe that one form of English is "correct" and therefore any deviation from what they believe to be 'proper English' is incorrect and thus exemplifies the lower intellect of those using the slang. Thankfully, linguistic prescriptivists are laughed at most of the time in my field, because anyone who truly thinks that there is one form of English which holds more value than any other form is a moron.If the point you're arguing is that we should purge the English Language of words and collocations such as "so much win", "so many feels", "I'm down for that" etc then I appreciate where you're coming from but quite frankly you're wrong. Why is it that these words and phrases hold less value than other words in our mental lexicon? And, how is it that a person's intelligence is tied up in the language they use? There was a myth perpetuated by Jean Goss who said that teenagers only know 800 words, which "isn't enough to get them a job"; it's this kind of person your statement sounds like. And, fun fact, she was proven wrong many, many times, because there is actually no way to be able to tell the size of a person's vocabulary truthfully, we can only estimate. If these words and phrases like "epic" are part of their vocabulary, what harm are they doing there? People aren't going to sound like Jane Austen when they type because excessive verbiage on the internet is pointless, and quite honestly makes you sound like a tool. If your 26,000 word vocabulary insists that you type every post in prose then so be it, but for other people, conveying the same idea in simpler terms is a lot more convenient over the internet because, well, who are they trying to impress? It seems like you might have some kind of obsessive need for validation, which is manifesting itself in your own outrage at 'youth culture'.

Some more fun facts about linguistic prescriptivism for ya. Many people believe that it's a cardinal sin to use the word 'their' as in its singular form, as in: if a man or a woman wants to debate language with me, I would always love to hear their views. That sentence, whilst sounding pretty innocuous to the rest of us, should make any prescriptivist gasp in horror and tremble with fear, because the use of the exclusive 'or' suggests that the antedecent to 'their' is singular - a man or a woman. Other things prescriptivists have tried to combat would be the use of 'hopeful' as an adverb. Now, hopefully, you would disagree with that radical step, right..?

Ice cream was considered the improper form of 'iced cream'; in 1586 the word 'exasperate' was criticised for being "preposterous and confusing"; Jonathan Swift objected to 'banter' and 'communications' in 1710; Thomas Jefferson was attacked for using the English word 'belittle'; in the 1800s an Englishman waged war against the Americans using 'great' instead of the English term "splendid"...

Can you see what all those have in common? That's right, they seem ridiculous and antiquated. But I hope this shows you, dearest OP, that people have been fighting the battle against the common parlance for centuries, and all that they've achieved is some kid on a message board using their stupid opinions to disprove someone's uninformed claims. People will continue to talk how they want to, and how their language evolves to allow them to speak, and people like you will continue to moan and whine about it. And honestly? No one will care.
Reply 48
Indeed ladies and gentlemen, another one goes to the special list.
Big beats are the best. Get high all the time.
Reply 50
I think kids do talk grammatically correct over text funnily.

you missed out [even in 2016]
'goals' 'GOALS GOALS GOALS'
[stfu you are 17 so stfu.. goals is your D, yes the D on the paper try and get that instead of a G]
'£$£% HATE'
'No that is "$"£$" HATE' 'This is "£$"£$ HATE' 'That was £$"$" hate'
'This shaming' 'That shaming' '£"$"£$"$ shaming'
'bae'
'savage'
'followers'
'trash'
'other words i am just going to say for the sake'
'other words i am just going to say because adults on tv says it'
'i do this and i do that which is why this happened' LIARS, the unstoppable explanation to things which are not true

'my skin is clear becase i drink almond milk' NO BIT^$%£$ your 13 [or 16 ]so STFU
buu: you are saying your skin is clear because you saw and heard someone else say and you have 0 life experiences to account for it so stfu

ACTIONS [that they do to show off and live the celeb lifestyle]
picture of my ass
picture during or after the gym
picture of my ass with a caption saying squats
picture of my 'healthy' lifestyle
picture of food
picture with their partner
picture with a snapchat filter [like are you actually serious people dont genuinely DATE that way]

Original post by 571122
Are kids nowadays becoming more and more stupid as time progresses? I certainly noticed such a trend.

Here are a few examples of their idiotic slang:
-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"it's the internet" followed by some excuse
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-asking questions without placing question marks
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"this" (when agreeing with something)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

Does anyone else hate (these) memes as much as I do? I want to punch the memes inventor for bringing to the world the biggest pest ever!

What is wrong with these kids? Even hillbillies produce more accurate English than these troglodytes! They should go back to school and relearn English!

I know I am not the only one who feels utterly frustrated by this. Reach out to me and feel my misery, oh co-educated ones!
Original post by Dheorl
"I want to punch the memes inventor"... hardly a sentence oozing eloquence.

The sentence states exactly what they mean in a succinct, fluent, way
that can be understood by everyone.

Eloquence does not need to mean polite or ornate choice of language or subject of what is said. It can mean fluency, clarity -
not deliberately trying to be the opposite of ornate but not trying to deliberately use 3 words where 2 will do either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 571122
Are kids nowadays becoming more and more stupid as time progresses? I certainly noticed such a trend.

Here are a few examples of their idiotic slang:
-"so much win"
-"epic"
-"so many feels"
-"as ****"
-"it's the internet" followed by some excuse
-"keep calm and"
-"wait, what"
-your vs you're
-asking questions without placing question marks
-not using interpunction
-"op" (threads)
-"this" (when agreeing with something)
-"seriously"
-"really?"
-"honestly"
-"it's all good"
-"I'm down for that"
-"I'm good"
-"*****ing"
-"it's just my opinion"

Does anyone else hate (these) memes as much as I do? I want to punch the memes inventor for bringing to the world the biggest pest ever!

What is wrong with these kids? Even hillbillies produce more accurate English than these troglodytes! They should go back to school and relearn English!

I know I am not the only one who feels utterly frustrated by this. Reach out to me and feel my misery, oh co-educated ones!

You need help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending