The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on same-sex parenting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Scienceisgood
Why does someone "have" to fill in the role of the woman in the relationship?
Makes you sound as though you're saying single parents are inadequate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They almost always are. I know it's unpleasant, but it's true. Single-parent families are sometimes preferable to the alternative in any given situation. Maybe Parent #1 or #2 is a **** who smacks the kids around, or they're an alcoholic and a terrible rolemodel. In that scenario single parenthood is almost certainly preferable. But "preferable" doesn't equal "just as good as a stable two-parent household".

That's not a failing on the part of the single parent either. To raise a child on your own is an incredibly brave thing to try and do. I had a single mother for most of my childhood and she was faultless. It must have been unbearably difficult (there were three of us) but she did a wonderful job and I'll always be more grateful than words can express.

But it wasn't ideal. It wasn't just as healthy for childhood development as it would be if there were two loving parents there. And if we tell ourselves that it is, marriages will more frequently break up over trivial nonsense because it won't do any harm to the kids, right? So why stay together if things get tough?

Ultimately, if we ignore how crucial the combination of a mother and father is to a child, we're going to screw kids up irreversibly and long-term.
A child is better-off in a functional, two-parent household than it is in a single-parent household or an orphanage. Children raised by two parents have better economic prospects on average and are less likely to become criminals.

However, boys in particular need a strong father figure.
Original post by Dandaman1
A child is better-off in a functional, two-parent household than it is in a single-parent household or an orphanage. Children raised by two parents have better economic prospects on average and are less likely to become criminals.

However, boys in particular need a strong father figure.

why?
Original post by hezzlington
why?

A father is someone at home to look up to and guide boys as they become men. Generally speaking (there are always exceptions) they provide a firmer hand a better sense of male understanding than a mother can. Boys raised without fathers are more likely to engage in antisocial behavior, commit crime, and do poorly at school.
Original post by Dandaman1
A father is someone at home to look up to and guide boys as they become men. Generally speaking (there are always exceptions) they provide a firmer hand a better sense of male understanding than a mother can. Boys raised without fathers are more likely to engage in antisocial behavior, commit crime, and do poorly at school.

Well, i'd be part of the exception, but what you've said sounds pretty plausible.
Reply 65
feel bad for the kid smh
It's wrong, completely wrong. Men and women posess different qualities and the child needs to have the benefit of having one of each parent.
The thing is, you only know about family structures from an outsider's perspective, and many people (including me) have had more than just their parents as influences in their life. For example, many people would think I was raised by a mum and a dad, but was I really? I have an uncle that lives locally to me and comes over more days a week than not since I was very young - the way I see it he's my second dad so I basically have three parents. I've had other members of extended family like uncles and aunts who were big influences in my life, so my role models were more than just my mum and dad and I'm sure it's the same for everyone else. What I'm trying to say is that people who are raised by gay parents most likely do have other role models in their life, such as extended family or friends particularly of the opposite sex to the gay parents, therefore they're not necessarily always starved of a male/female role model. I've actually read somewhere that gay parents actually make sure that their opposite sex family/friends have a role in their child's life to make up for a lack of the opposite sex parent.
Original post by jape
They almost always are. I know it's unpleasant, but it's true. Single-parent families are sometimes preferable to the alternative in any given situation. Maybe Parent #1 or #2 is a **** who smacks the kids around, or they're an alcoholic and a terrible rolemodel. In that scenario single parenthood is almost certainly preferable. But "preferable" doesn't equal "just as good as a stable two-parent household".

That's not a failing on the part of the single parent either. To raise a child on your own is an incredibly brave thing to try and do. I had a single mother for most of my childhood and she was faultless. It must have been unbearably difficult (there were three of us) but she did a wonderful job and I'll always be more grateful than words can express.

But it wasn't ideal. It wasn't just as healthy for childhood development as it would be if there were two loving parents there. And if we tell ourselves that it is, marriages will more frequently break up over trivial nonsense because it won't do any harm to the kids, right? So why stay together if things get tough?

Ultimately, if we ignore how crucial the combination of a mother and father is to a child, we're going to screw kids up irreversibly and long-term.

I grew up in a single-parent family. But I had plenty of feminine input from other members of my family. I would have liked two parents purely for my dad to have a relationship and see what a relationship is like but that doesn't mean I need a mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it is ideal.

Men and women are different and children can learn a lot from both. I have learnt so much off my Dad that I couldn't have learnt from a woman. A lot of my behaviour, I learnt by imitating my father. Without that example of how a man should behave, I wouldn't be the same person.

On the other hand, I think women have a natural way with children that men don't. Caring for children runs through their veins so I wouldn't want to be without a mum either.

But the world isn't ideal and who am I to stop people having kids? Single parent families aren't ideal either but life happens. I don't see how adding another loving parent to the mix can be worse than only having one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending