The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Does dialling 1471 to find out who rang you, cost anything? I thought it was free, but after the bit where it says press 2 to return the call, it says " there is normally a charge for this service"
Reply 1
Spider
Does dialling 1471 to find out who rang you, cost anything? I thought it was free, but after the bit where it says press 2 to return the call, it says " there is normally a charge for this service"

It's free unless you press 2....just take down the number on paper..then dial it back manually. Then you only pay for the call charge.

G
Spider

The dialing of 1471 doesnt cost anything, however if you choose to return the call, you'll be charged at normal rates for the phonecall to that phone, as if it was a normal call.

But by all means feel free to ring 1471 as much as you like, cos it'll never cost owt.
Reply 3
Ah ha! Thanks a lot guys :biggrin:
Reply 4
i thought it was 14713 to ring someone back??

and i had no idea that it costs!!! bloody hell! thats naughty of BT..

:tongue:
Reply 5
sparkler

If you phone someone and they're engaged you can press 3 before hanging up and your phone will ring when they're off the phone - when you answer it it connects to their line
Reply 6
sparkler

it was 1471 3 last time i did..... and it just charges as if it were a normal phone call... how else could it work? :confused:
Reply 7
Amb1
If you phone someone and they're engaged you can press 3 before hanging up and your phone will ring when they're off the phone - when you answer it it connects to their line

I thought that was 5 you press???

G
Reply 8
o..k...it must be different for wales or something! cause its definitely 14713 to ring someone back, and to do that dialback thing when they hang up i have to press 5

:confused:
Reply 9
I think it depends! From my house phone, it's 14713 to phone someone back, but from my mobile it's different
Reply 10
sparkler
o..k...it must be different for wales or something! cause its definitely 14713 to ring someone back, and to do that dialback thing when they hang up i have to press 5

:confused:

Yeah, it's defo 14713 to call someone back. I must have got the 5 thing wrong. Sorry! :smile:
Dialling 1471 from a BT landline costs nothing. The option of pressing 3 to automatically dial the last caller now costs sixpence. The charging of this previously free service began on 1st August. One should write the number down and dial manually to avoid being charged.

There is outrage about BT introducing stealth charges. Another recent BT fiasco involves the withdrawal of the standard BT line rental package - everyone has been moved to the more expensive BT Together deals. In addition, a weekend or evening call to another landline is now charged per call and not per second - so a short phone call will cost the same as an hour-long phone call. OFCOM (formerly OFTEL) claim to be looking into these matters.
Spider
I thought you pressed 3 to return the call.
It is 3. Try reading the whole thread.
Reply 14
Spider

Then it would seem that it costs money :confused:
No, it does not.

The 1471 service is free. One will be charged only if he then presses 3 to automatically dial the corresponding number. The cost of this is 6p, effective 1 Aug.

Latest

Trending

Trending