The Student Room Group

Should immigrants learn english?

Scroll to see replies

I think in order for anybody to integrate and submerge themselves into the country properly they should at least make an attempt to learn the language. Also for job purposes a basic grasp and understanding of the local language should be expected so that the person can be understood properly by others within the organisation

But then I suppose it all comes down to individual preference, if someone does not want to make an effort to learn the language of the country that they are living in, then they are fully entitled. Although in my opinion they are putting themselves at a disadvantage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FrenchNerd2
Couldn't agree more (I'd up-vote you but for some reason it won't let me)

You can only upvote (rep) the same person once every 24 hours unfortunately. Welcome to the struggles of TSR :wink:
Original post by george_c00per
You can only upvote (rep) the same person once every 24 hours unfortunately. Welcome to the struggles of TSR :wink:

*cries* xD
Yes they should.

If they want to live here then they should learn the language in the place they move to. The same applies to British people abroad, they should try and learn the language.

By learning the language it shows they are willing to integrate into society and are ready for work. Without this, they will be alienated (as others have said) and will struggle to get a job without speaking fluent English (and might have to work illegally, which is more dangerous).
Do you not think it would be more beneficial (for both the immigrant and the general population) to provide tuition? It is not always possible for migrants (especially political migrants, refugees and those from countries with weaker economies) to be able to learn foreign languages and, for immigrants who aren't well-off, their priorities are likely to provide for their basic needs (food, shelter etc.) and thus if we expect them to integrate then we must help them by giving them the opportunity to do so (for those who are presented with the opportunity for free and choose not to it's another issue). That and the tax payer will benefit from it too, with the fact that we will have better educated people in our country who can work and will thus be less dependent on the state (the same reason why our taxes pay for the education of our country anyway)

I suppose it would be possible in theory to work out the financial value added to having migrants learn English and working out the cost of tuition and making a value judgement, but actually we should just abolish border control, let people speak whatever language they choose and have no welfare state other than what private charities provide and just let people decide what's best for them.
*cries* xD

Je peux voir que tu aimes le Français, comme moi! Fais-tu/As-tu fait/Vas-tu faire A Level Français ? :tongue:
Original post by l'etranger
I suppose it would be possible in theory to work out the financial value added to having migrants learn English and working out the cost of tuition and making a value judgement, but actually we should just abolish border control, let people speak whatever language they choose and have no welfare state other than what private charities provide and just let people decide what's best for them.

I guess that's one way of looking at it :smile:
Original post by Supernova91
As a British expat , I do believe it makes your life a LOT easier if you learn the lingo in the country you live and work in.
I spent the best part of the year in Turkey, so learning some words and phrases was helpful in finding my way around and getting things done. Learning basic manners also goes a long way. Now, I'm in the canaries, so I'm trying my hand at Spanish.
It's hard, of course, learning a new language, but you catch onto things very quickly when you live and breath it. Day to day life is just easier, and things get done quicker. Next summer i'll be going to Bulgeria and will need to learn all over again (:colone:).
So those who arrive in the UK, no, I don't think they should HAVE to speak English if they don't think they have to but I do genuinely believe life would be easier if they did.

Totally agree with you,
I want to emigrate to Tenerife once I've completed my studies here and I am currently learning myself Spanish and am semi fluent. I went on holiday to Tenerife this year and knowing certain words and phrases really made everything quicker and more efficient.
Je peux voir que tu aimes le Français, comme moi! Fais-tu/As-tu fait/Vas-tu faire A Level Français ? :tongue:

Quelle observation ! :wink: et ouais, je le fais et j'ai l'intention de l'étudier avec le portugais à l'université. Intéressamment, je veux étudier le portugais parce que j'habite dans une région avec beaucoup d'immigration portugaise et bien que la plupart d'entre eux soit capable de parler en anglais, j'ai envie de découvrir davantage de sa culture. Tu parles d'autres langues, toi?
Anyone under the age of 50 living in the UK should already be able to speak decent English or should be in the process of learning the language.
Original post by palmyra
i hope you are prepared to say bye-bye to a large proportion of the 'native' youth in this country, then.

roflmao!!:d
Original post by Al-farhan
Anyone under the age of 50 living in the UK should already be able to speak decent English or should be in the process of learning the language.

Out of interest, why do you allow an exception for those over 50?
Out of interest, why do you allow an exception for those over 50?

I sometimes teach English in my community and seen that those in their 60s or late 50s have a much harder time learning a new language. Even after months of training they don't pick up or retain much of what was learnt.
Original post by Al-farhan
I sometimes teach English in my community and seen that those in their 60s or late 50s have a much harder time learning a new language. Even after months of training they don't pick up or retain much of what was learnt.

Oh ok, that's quite interesting. I guess that's fair then.
Quelle observation ! :wink: et ouais, je le fais et j'ai l'intention de l'étudier avec le portugais à l'université. Intéressamment, je veux étudier le portugais parce que j'habite dans une région avec beaucoup d'immigration portugaise et bien que la plupart d'entre eux soit capable de parler en anglais, j'ai envie de découvrir davantage de sa culture. Tu parles d'autres langues, toi?

Intéressant! J'étudie le français et l'espagnol pour A Level, donc j'ai considéré les diplômes en portugais et espagnol, ou "les études hispaniques''. Le portugais m'intéresse parce qu'il est similaire à l'espagnol, mais en ce moment, je voudrais faire un diplôme en espagnol et arabe. Cependant, j'adore le français, et je ne veux pas l'arrêter, par suite je pourrais faire le français et l'espagnol à la fac. Je ne suis pas encore sûr. :redface: Je peux parler plus de français, mais à mon avis, l'espagnol m'aidera plus dans l'avenir.

(Sorry for the long reply, was trying to work out how to put in accents on letters :colondollar:)
Intéressant! J'étudie le français et l'espagnol pour A Level, donc j'ai considéré les diplômes en portugais et espagnol, ou "les études hispaniques''. Le portugais m'intéresse parce qu'il est similaire à l'espagnol, mais en ce moment, je voudrais faire un diplôme en espagnol et arabe. Cependant, j'adore le français, et je ne veux pas l'arrêter, par suite je pourrais faire le français et l'espagnol à la fac. Je ne suis pas encore sûr. :redface: Je peux parler plus de français, mais à mon avis, l'espagnol m'aidera plus dans l'avenir.

(Sorry for the long reply, was trying to work out how to put in accents on letters :colondollar:)

(I typed up my response on http://french.typeit.org/ )

Ooh, génial; ma sœur étudie l’espagnol et l’arabe à l’université d’Exeter et elle l’adore (elle est actuellement en Jordanie pour son « Année à l’étranger ». Vis-à-vis du portugais, je dirais que cela m’aide à comprendre l’espagnol écrit donc peut-être que je l’étudierai à l’avenir mais maintenant je vais me concentrer sur les langues que j’ai déjà.

Tu les étudies avec quels "exam boards"? Et quels sujets culturels? Moi, j'étudie avec AQA et je fais "Un Sac de Billes" de Joseph Joffo et "L'Avare" de Molière
Original post by AdamBrennan9516
Totally agree with you,
I want to emigrate to Tenerife once I've completed my studies here and I am currently learning myself Spanish and am semi fluent. I went on holiday to Tenerife this year and knowing certain words and phrases really made everything quicker and more efficient.

It does. Everybody needs to learn, it can be hard at times being unable to communicate, I always try my best in the UK when talking to people with 'broken' English because it can be daunting and frustrating when you're in the process of learning.

Good luck with TFS I'm only 2 islands over :smile: !
(edited 7 years ago)
(I typed up my response on http://french.typeit.org/ )

Ooh, génial; ma sœur étudie l’espagnol et l’arabe à l’université d’Exeter et elle l’adore (elle est actuellement en Jordanie pour son « Année à l’étranger ». Vis-à-vis du portugais, je dirais que cela m’aide à comprendre l’espagnol écrit donc peut-être que je l’étudierai à l’avenir mais maintenant je vais me concentrer sur les langues que j’ai déjà.

C'est très bizarre, parce que j'adore l'apparence de l'espagnol et l'arabe à l’université d’Exeter, est probablement j'y appliquerai l'année prochaine! Mon université de rêve serait Cambridge mais je pense que je ne suis pas assez intelligent :redface: J'aimerais aller au moyen-orient, particulièrement au Liban, Jordanie ou Oman. Je pourrais aller aux EAU le prochain octobre, mais je ne suis pas assez sûr. Elle est très chanceuse! :wink:

Oui, je pense que les langues que t'intéressent sont fantastiques et ils aideront dans l'avenir, pour l'espagnol etc. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
C'est très bizarre, parce que j'adore l'apparence de l'espagnol et l'arabe à l’université d’Exeter, est probablement j'y appliquerai l'année prochaine! Mon université de rêve serait Cambridge mais je pense que je ne suis pas assez intelligent :redface: J'aimerais aller au moyen-orient, particulièrement au Liban, Jordanie ou Oman. Je pourrais aller aux EAU le prochain octobre, mais je ne suis pas assez sûr. Elle est très chanceuse! :wink:

Oui, je pense que les langues que t'intéressent sont fantastiques et ils aideront dans l'avenir, pour l'espagnol etc. :smile:

J'ai appliqué à Cambridge cette année Trinity Hall), je découvre si elle m'acceptera 12 janvier. Es-tu dans le 12ième année dans ce cas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending