The Student Room Group

Brits have become so weak living in fear of terrorists.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I started a new job not long ago and the amount of times my colleagues talk about terrorists during office chat is ridiculous.

What I mean by this is the way they talk about terrorism is so fearmongering and they are scared for their lives. I actually feel sorry for people like this because ISIS have invoked so much fear into them that they feel like they cannot live life without worrying about a terrorist attack, even though they will probably never be involved in one.

Whenever other countries and planned holidays abroad are mentioned or "plane" it will always be followed by "bomb" and terrorists. plane hijackings and getting blown up aren't as common as people make out. It's honestly so exaggerated, almost like what they see in the media literally defines their worldview. What a sad way to live life.

Then they're like "I'll never visit Egypt or anywhere that's had a terrorist attack" Seriously? Not even London then? You're just going to confine yourself to the *****y town you were born in because you're afraid of encountering terrorists? Pathetic.

Get a grip, snowflakes. I hate how weak and sensitive the British have become. Our grandfathers would be screaming in their graves at this. I'm tired of everybody acting like victims, it makes me cringe.

Terrorists can only win if you let them and the Brits are playing right into their palm.

I'm not bothered by them!
Yeah sure they have killed people, but it's just extremist pigs, which aren't all Muslims, as people claim.
Original post by 999tigger
Why did you feel the need to be anonymous to say this?

Probably coz they didn't want any Brits who didn't agree with them (me for example) to hit them hard and fast, like this guy probably could:
Attachment not found
Original post by mojojojo101
people aren't actually scared of ISIS, they are scared of the story of ISIS.
no, people are scared of ISIS itself (or attackers inspired by it)

the "story of ISIS" has never killed anyone : ISIS has

best
(edited 7 years ago)
I started a new job not long ago and the amount of times my colleagues talk about terrorists during office chat is ridiculous.

What I mean by this is the way they talk about terrorism is so fearmongering and they are scared for their lives. I actually feel sorry for people like this because ISIS have invoked so much fear into them that they feel like they cannot live life without worrying about a terrorist attack, even though they will probably never be involved in one.

Whenever other countries and planned holidays abroad are mentioned or "plane" it will always be followed by "bomb" and terrorists. plane hijackings and getting blown up aren't as common as people make out. It's honestly so exaggerated, almost like what they see in the media literally defines their worldview. What a sad way to live life.

Then they're like "I'll never visit Egypt or anywhere that's had a terrorist attack" Seriously? Not even London then? You're just going to confine yourself to the *****y town you were born in because you're afraid of encountering terrorists? Pathetic.

Get a grip, snowflakes. I hate how weak and sensitive the British have become. Our grandfathers would be screaming in their graves at this. I'm tired of everybody acting like victims, it makes me cringe.

Terrorists can only win if you let them and the Brits are playing right into their palm.

I wish you would have put a trigger warning on this.
Reply 24
Tbh I have strong faith in our intelligence agencies, our police, our boarder security and our military that I don't fear any terrorist attacks. If one were to happen and most likely it'd be tied to ISIS, It'd give us permission to bomb the **** out of them. Plus we'd get international support including the USA.
Reply 25
Original post by zayn008
Tbh I have strong faith in our intelligence agencies, our police, our boarder security and our military that I don't fear any terrorist attacks. If one were to happen and most likely it'd be tied to ISIS, It'd give us permission to bomb the **** out of them. Plus we'd get international support including the USA.

Crap... spoke too soon omg.

EDIT: what I originally said was strongly backed up hours later, the police did an amazing job, intelligence does a great job daily (attacks like this are pretty much impossible for intelligence to prevent)... when I wrote what I did in my mind I thought UK was almost invincible to such acts of terror but clearly not, all I can say is I'm glad what I saw from police, the public (esp Tobias Ellwood) and health services. Whilst I'm devastated over the 3 innocent lives lost I have to say without the great work we saw today it could've been bigger numbers. So far ISIS hasn't taken credit but if/when they do, I hope we make them pay the price. It hits you much harder when you were in the place not less than 24 hours before it happened, I walked past parliament with such pride in my country, it's system, and to see it under attack just hits you. It's one thing seeing it in other countries but seeing it in your own country hurts a lot more.

I'm still proud of what our country does to stop terrorists and I don't live in fear one bit, fear is what they want but thanks to great security and solidarity in the U.K, I'll never fear them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mojojojo101
The people and organisations creatiing and fostering the fear are the media and Western governments
you are deeply wrong

Western security services are doing what they can against terrorists, and do prevent quite a few attacks

unfortunately, they don't always succeed : so, being afraid is a perfectly rational attitude to have, and the responsibility for this lies squarely on those who conduct the attacks

best
The government are the terror. The security services want to control you, not protect you.
Original post by Drewski
2 years old and wrong country, but ok...

I'd be more interested if you could find one for the UK. I think the answers would be very different.

I was almost interested until I saw its origin.
Rightly so but there's a specific group of people who it will be, out of 60'000'000 in the UK it's easy to spot them if you know where to look. Most if not all are University Educated. The degree type then narrows down the search by up to a factor of 17.
Reply 30
Terrorists have already won many times and will continue to do so because the determined terrorist has the advantage of being able to strike anywhere at anytime. Although it may not be immediately apparent, terrorism has altered the way of life in this country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GunCon
Terrorists have already won many times and will continue to do so because the determined terrorist has the advantage of being able to strike anywhere at anytime. Although it may not be immediately apparent, terrorism has already altered the way of life in this country.

They havent won. People just get on with things.

Altered the way of life of this country? People are more aware, but its less than what happened with the IRA. The real life chance of being involved and killed in a terrorist incident are still very low and many times lower than being run over crossing the road.
Reply 32
They havent won. People just get on with things.

Altered the way of life of this country? People are more aware, but its less than what happened with the IRA. The real life chance of being involved and killed in a terrorist incident are still very low and many times lower than being run over crossing the road.

So just getting on with things is us winning? People get on with things because they have no other choice. It's not a symbol of defiance or resilience. They carry on because they have to eat and pay the rent/mortgage. I think the terrorists have won because they have taken lives and effected permenant changes. We're not going to back to a time where we didn't need extra barriers around key areas or where we didn't have to think about random, vehicle-based attacks at christmas events. I don't believe this threat [Islamic terrorism] will eventually simmer down to the point where we will see gradual reductions in the terror threat level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GunCon
So just getting on with things is us winning? People get on with things because they have no other choice. It's not a symbol of defiance or resilience. They carry on because they have to eat and pay the rent/mortgage. I think the terrorists have won because they have taken lives and effected permenant changes. We're not going to back to a time where we didn't need extra barriers around key areas or where we didn't have to think about random, vehicle-based attacks at christmas events. I don't believe this threat [Islamic terrorism] will eventually simmer down to the point where we will see gradual reductions in the terror threat level.

Heh you are such a surrender monkey.

Yes getting on with things and living a normal life rather than cowering in fear is winning.

What exactly have the terrorists won? I didnt do anything differently today or over the last 5 years. A few people unfortunately died, but nearly a thousand times that died on the roads, but you dont hear people refusing to use cars.

IRA attacks were more severe and persistent.
The blitz killed 10,000 times that but people were defeated.

You carry on being hysterical.
Reply 34
Heh you are such a surrender monkey.

Yes getting on with things and living a normal life rather than cowering in fear is winning.

What exactly have the terrorists won? I didnt do anything differently today or over the last 5 years. A few people unfortunately died, but nearly a thousand times that died on the roads, but you dont hear people refusing to use cars.

IRA attacks were more severe and persistent.
The blitz killed 10,000 times that but people were defeated.

You carry on being hysterical.

Your country's increasingly becoming a surveillence state and privacy is slowly being eroded because of "terrorism". You've got ugly concrete bollards being deployed around tourist hotspots and an increased armed security presence. Doesn't seem like the actions of a country that's winning and isn't cowering in fear.
You keep pretending that nothing has changed as a result of terrorism though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GunCon
Your country's increasingly becoming a surveillence state and privacy is slowly being eroded because of "terrorism". You've got ugly concrete bollards being deployed around tourist hotspots and an increased armed security presence. Doesn't seem like the actions of a country that's winning and isn't cowering in fear.
You keep pretending that nothing has changed as a result of terrorism though.

Hilarious. Didnt see any concrete bollards when I went out. Nope the Uk isnt cowering in fear although you like to fantasise about how your mates are being effective. Very little has changed and the campaign by the IRA was far more serious than anything ISIS have so far managed in the UK. Keep on hoping though.
You make it seem like the threat is new. Before it was the IRA and before that it was the Nazis. Britain has been a target for decades. We know how to deal with it cos we've been dealing with it for so long
Reply 37
Hilarious. Didnt see any concrete bollards when I went out. Nope the Uk isnt cowering in fear although you like to fantasise about how your mates are being effective. Very little has changed and the campaign by the IRA was far more serious than anything ISIS have so far managed in the UK. Keep on hoping though.

You didn't see any? It must be nonsense then. Funny how you assume I am an ISIS supporter simply because I'm not pretending as if nothing's changed as a result of terrorism.
If there's nothing to fear then there's no need for the extra barriers and increased security presence. It's all hysteria as you say. Try venturing out beyond your garden next time.

I haven't yet seen one member of al Qaeda or ISIS / ISIL that is capable of intelligent thought.

They do have some clever people unfortunately. IS have started using remote controlled cars (full sized Humvees n stuff) and drones to kill Iraqi Army/Peshmerga forces.
Original post by GunCon

@GunCon No kill hostage pls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending