The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Most Feminists are in fact sexist....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boredomstrikes
I'm sorry are you actually saying I have to look closer to find a campaign against a law that lets an entire group of people of the hook for raping someone because they were born with a vagina? Surely if you're a credible movement that actually cares about males issues the campaigns would be absolutely everywhere and inescapable like hmm idk outrage against manspreading, outrage against mansplaining, outrage against slut shaming don't even get me started on the campaigns on the 'gender wage gap' and getting more women in science

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124524
Original post by sophia1928
Literally go on the NHS website, that should clear things up for you. it literally says on the NHS website that most babys cannot survive if given birth to in the abortion time frame I.e. Up until 24 weeks. The movement cannot be felt for most people until after 26 weeks. I would also like to know your source.
Anyway, abortion is undertaken in a painless and humaine manner, whereas the deaths of women forced to have an abortion are anything but painless and humaine.
http://www.operationrescue.org/noblog/in-their-own-words-womens-stories-of-coerced-botched-and-illegal-abortions-at-tillers-womens-health-care-services-in-wichita-ks/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eptopic+pregnancy+deaths&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
Other than that I think we are done here, we are not going to agree so what is the point? You think you're more qualified to jjudge when a women can have the right to her body and I don't so...

Most pregnant women start to feel movement around 16-18 weeks. Some even earlier. And that is from experience not something read on google.
And our local trust has a policy of treating babies as viable if born from 23 weeks
(edited 6 years ago)

Did it get 100,000 votes though? Did even achieve anything?
Did it get 100,000 votes though? Did even achieve anything?

I wanted you to read the bit underneath where the government assures that a woman will still be convicted. Although I think the definition is gross and wrong because it doesn't take into account all form s of rape, I'm trying to tell you that women will still be convicted.
Also, most of these signatures were probably feminists by my definition and lots more stupid petitions like should Harry Potter be pm or something get more attention which dampens the amount of attention that important petitions have. This is not the fault of feminism, but of people's ignorance to certain issues and a public which is just not mobilised enough politically.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sammylou40
Hilarious!!! Most feminists, especially on here, are so pro themselves and so anti men it's ridiculous!
There is nothing more sexist than a modern feminist

Feminism is not sexism, feminism is equality for both sexes.
Most pregnant women start to feel movement around 16-18 weeks. Some even earlier. And that is from experience not something read on google.
And our local trust has a policy of treating babies as viable if born from 23 weeks

Well abortion is an interesting subject to say the least. Why is it in a relationship it takes two to make a baby.

But only one to make decision on having the abortion. Yes it's the women's body not arguing that point.

Both should have a say,not 1 go behind partners back.

Yes I have had done to me

As the NHS says, most baby's at that age won't survive because their lungs are not fully developed. And a woman should have the right to her own body, I cannot believe some people would even contest this although I notice that most are men who will never have to fear that they might be forced to give birth, which could kill them. And the NHS also says that on average most women start to feel movement at 24 weeks. And as to your point about getting information from google, I think the national health service is a bit more reliable than one person on the internet.
I'm sorry are you actually saying I have to look closer to find a campaign against a law that lets an entire group of people of the hook for raping someone because they were born with a vagina? Surely if you're a credible movement that actually cares about males issues the campaigns would be absolutely everywhere and inescapable like hmm idk outrage against manspreading, outrage against mansplaining, outrage against slut shaming don't even get me started on the campaigns on the 'gender wage gap' and getting more women in science

Dude wtf are you talking about.
Original post by sophia1928
I wanted you to read the bit underneath where the government assures that a woman will still be convicted. Although I think the definition is gross and wrong because it doesn't take into account all form s of rape, I'm trying to tell you that women will still be convicted.
Also, most of these signatures were probably feminists by my definition and lot s of more stupid petitions like should Harry Potter be pm or something get more attention. This is not the fault of feminism, but of people's ignorance to certain issues and a public which is just not mobilised enough politically.

People have been made aware of the gender wage gap myth even if they don't remember the exact statistic they are very familiar with the phrase "women earn less for the same work as men" as hilariously wrong as that interpretation is that has been so widespread amongst the population that people accept it as fact. Do you think that the general populus is even aware that women can't be convicted of rape in the UK? My problem with feminists saying that they care about mens issues is the fact that whenever there's a problem that results in female victims the feminists come out in there hundreds and there thousands and will absolutely hassle everyone to the point where everyone is aware of those problems. Can you honestly say they do the same for men's issues?
Original post by lulno
I would even go as far as to say things like this happen more often to men.

Wtf stop defending sexism
Original post by Rooster11366
Well abortion is an interesting subject to say the least. Why is it in a relationship it takes two to make a baby.

But only one to make decision on having the abortion. Yes it's the women's body not arguing that point.

Because then it might give rise to the question of who has the final say. And anyway it is obvious that the person who has to give birth to the child should have the final say. And in some states in America women who are raped have to ask the rapist's permission to get an abortion. How is that fair?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lulno
In what way is it sexism? The fact it happened had nothing to do with her gender and you have no way of knowing it wouldn't happen had she been male I would even go as far as to say things like this happen more often to men.

The woman in question was objectified and touched in a sexual manner without her consent. Instances like these, and much worse, are the lived experiences of millions of women across the world every single day (the vast majority of women have been made to feel unsafe or afraid simply because they are women at some point in their lives), and disproportionately affects women and female presenting people. It is deeply rooted in the societal belief that women's bodies are commodities to be used by men (marital rape was only decriminalised in the 90s, for goodness' sake). This male entitlement is a very real and very common element of women's lived experiences of sexism.
Original post by Beth_H
The woman in question was objectified and touched in a sexual manner without her consent. Instances like these, and much worse, are the lived experiences of millions of women across the world every single day (the vast majority of women have been made to feel unsafe or afraid simply because they are women at some point in their lives), and disproportionately affects women and female presenting people. It is deeply rooted in the societal belief that women's bodies are commodities to be used by men (marital rape was only decriminalised in the 90s, for goodness' sake). This male entitlement is a very real and very common element of women's lived experiences of sexism.

Exactly
I'm sorry are you actually saying I have to look closer to find a campaign against a law that lets an entire group of people of the hook for raping someone because they were born with a vagina?

They aren't "let off the hook". It's a technical definition that defines rape as forced penetration with a penis. As, with the exception of transwomen who haven't been through genital SRS, women cannot penetrate men with a penis, this is impossible for a woman to commit. Women who force men into sexual activity, however, are charged with sexual assault, as are men who force women into non-penetrative sexual activity.

I find much of the people who bemoan this have never considered:

i) that the law needs a clear definition of what constitutes rape, and
ii) that that definition will be used to judge man-on-man and woman-on-woman sexual attacks, not just opposite-sex attacks.

There are ways of wording the law which remove the gendered dynamic without getting rid of the distinction between penetrative and non-penetrative forced sexual activity. For example, the Major government briefly changed the law so as to classify forced vaginal or anal penetration with any object (not necessarily a penis) as rape.
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree with that to a degree. But three sexism argument bit being weakened by some women.

False claims make it worse to confirm if it si going up or down.

But it is still there no question.

I am sorry to know that you had such an experience.

I can say only for me that I do believe both parents should take responsibility for the baby but I am catholic and I do not associate myself with feminism.
Reply 236
Original post by Beth_H
. It is deeply rooted in the societal belief that women's bodies are commodities to be used by men

If this is true why would the guys mate even bother betting that he wouldn't do it? If we believe that women are only here to be used by men then surely he would have known what his friend would do and not at all be surprised by it.
Reply 237
Original post by feministy
Wtf stop defending sexism

It's not sexism it's a bad thing done by an idiot, but it is by no means sexism.
I agree with that to a degree. But three sexism argument bit being weakened by some women.

False claims make it worse to confirm if it si going up or down.

But it is still there no question.

False claims? Do you mean about rape. Who are you replying to?
Sexism and mainly.

But yes false claims do not help the real victims of rapes.

Latest

Trending

Trending