The Student Room Group

Can White People be the victim of Racism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Great Game
It's only moronic American leftists who think the only sort of racism is structural racism who genuinely believe this, frankly I can't take American leftists seriously given that their time would be better spent dealing with healthcare than it would race-baiting.

Original post by Lord Samosa
Cis white males can never be the victim of racism. They are the reason for everything that's wrong in the world.

It was a cis white male that abolished slavery in America.
I believe white people can be discriminated against however not to the extent where it is racism. Racism requires power, systematically and institutionally, which white people have. Furthermore, a rude remark about white people does not impact a white persons life in comparison to a POC.
Original post by truthteller010
x

Ok then, if we go from the definition of racism, which is prejudice based on perceived racial differences then yes, clearly you can be racist towards White people since nowhere in the definition is any race excluded. :smile:

Original post by slade p
No i meant they are also more racists on average, most of their racism is not recorded because they are not caught on video engaging in it, also you can't prove every attack they do is racially motivated. They are very sly and devious in how they hide their racist mindset and bigotry.

If your argument isn't falsifiable, file it away with alchemy and astrology where it can be deservedly ignored. :cool:
I would say that yes, racism against white people happens, as it has happened to me. However I would argue that it doesn't happen at the same level that Black/Asian people experience. There is a newsagents I don't feel comfortable going in anymore, because I went in there to buy a paper once and it was full of men laughing and joking about something in Arabic. They see me walk in and all start looking at me really suspiciously for being in there. When I rented a flat in a mainly Asian area I was asked by a couple of people why I had moved there.
If you think this is true, you've never spent any time with non-Whites.

If PoC are racist, they kinda have a reason to be. My dad was treated so badly when he was younger, he's learnt to forgive but that doesn't come easy for everyone. Black ppl had it way worse though.
Original post by CinnamonSmol
I believe white people can be discriminated against however not to the extent where it is racism. Racism requires power, systematically and institutionally, which white people have. Furthermore, a rude remark about white people does not impact a white persons life in comparison to a POC.

This is absolutely ridiculous though because power is an individual trait rather than a collective one. A Black millionaire is more powerful than a White person living in a council estate, I don't even like White trash and I think this sort of thinking is stupid.
Original post by slade p
No one is denying that apart from pro blacks / black nationalists

are you implying pro blacks are anti whites?
Original post by feministy
If PoC are racist, they kinda have a reason to be. My dad was treated so badly when he was younger, he's learnt to forgive but that doesn't come easy for everyone.

Personally I could never forgive the individuals who racially abused me if I were in your father's situation, but I don't really understand why you would apply your anger towards everyone of that race either.
Original post by Powersymphonia
I would say that yes, racism against white people happens, as it has happened to me. However I would argue that it doesn't happen at the same level that Black/Asian people experience. There is a newsagents I don't feel comfortable going in anymore, because I went in there to buy a paper once and it was full of men laughing and joking about something in Arabic. They see me walk in and all start looking at me really suspiciously for being in there. When I rented a flat in a mainly Asian area I was asked by a couple of people why I had moved there.

Do you honestly think White people would do that to a person of a different race if they moved to an upper middle class suburb? I dislike many of the views White people have, mainly how they treat non-Whites as pets, but it's so obvious that White people are more open to other races living in their communities than most other races are.
No.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white
Personally I could never forgive the individuals who racially abused me if I were in your father's situation, but I don't really understand why you would apply your anger towards everyone of that race either.

You may just see white and feel it is better to stay away. I feel like that is understandable but purposely picking fights with white people isn't.
Do you honestly think White people would do that to a person of a different race if they moved to an upper middle class suburb? I dislike many of the views White people have, mainly how they treat non-Whites as pets, but it's so obvious that White people are more open to other races living in their communities than most other races are.

If you are new to the country you are going to want to stick with people of the same skin colour. Obviously people are going to stare if you are white and walk into southall.
This is absolutely ridiculous though because power is an individual trait rather than a collective one. A Black millionaire is more powerful than a White person living in a council estate, I don't even like White trash and I think this sort of thinking is stupid.

dress them both in a t-shirt and jeans and take them to someone who knows neither of their history. perceptions will change, whether you choose to believe it or not. All b/c of the colour of their skin. So what i'm saying is, regardless of their assets, there is still an underlying issue. Not because of the people themselves, but racism (direct and indirect) within the community and in the media. false perceptions, exaggerations etc.

so for you to talk about power... forget that and let's talk about the average black and white person, in fact ask that millionaire if he/she still gets micro aggressions. I bet they do, I just don't get why money has to change peoples perception before they start treating black people as equals.
Ok then, if we go from the definition of racism, which is prejudice based on perceived racial differences then yes, clearly you can be racist towards White people since nowhere in the definition is any race excluded. :smile:

If you look at my original post, you'll know that I wholeheartedly agree with you and even said some whites face institutionalised problems too you dumbarse.

What im saying is that saying "you cant be racist to white people" is not racist by itself.
Reply 35
On an individual level, yes

If your argument isn't falsifiable, file it away with alchemy and astrology where it can be deservedly ignored. :cool:

As you said, the country is predominantly white and thus, white people cannot fall victim to institutional racism in the same way that minority groups do. White people were not excluded from jobs because of their colour or their name. White people are not turned away from popular hairdressers because of the natural texture of their hair. They don't have to struggle to find their make up skin tone in shops. They don't have to constantly answer questions pertaining to their hair. Just the other day, I had someone tell me I can't be British because I'm black.
In the 1960s, the police were reportedly going 'n*gger hunting' On average, BME are roughly 6 times more likely to be stopped and searched. The police had already been accused of institutional racism in the case of Stephen Lawrence. The secret policeman literally recorded them saying that they stop n*ggers and pakis purposely just because they can. Zahid Mubarak was murdered in his jail cell by his white racist cell mate. The other inmates stated that the prison officers purposely put them in the same cell because they knew what was likely to happen.
Nobody is saying that white people cannot fall victim to racism, but it is nowhere near as frequent nor damaging

I don't understand what you are trying to say about my post.
Original post by Elise213
dress them both in a t-shirt and jeans and take them to someone who knows neither of their history. perceptions will change, whether you choose to believe it or not. All b/c of the colour of their skin. So what i'm saying is, regardless of their assets, there is still an underlying issue. Not because of the people themselves, but racism (direct and indirect) within the community and in the media. false perceptions, exaggerations etc.

so for you to talk about power... forget that and let's talk about the average black and white person, in fact ask that millionaire if he/she still gets micro aggressions. I bet they do, I just don't get why money has to change peoples perception before they start treating black people as equals.

You could say the same about people who are short or people who are ugly or people who are over-weight, it's completely absurd to think a human is only defined along their racial lines. I think you should be more ashamed of yourself as a race-baiting leftist than I should for my classical liberalism.

You may just see white and feel it is better to stay away. I feel like that is understandable but purposely picking fights with white people isn't.

I understand and I can see why he would do that for the same of ensuring his own safety, but it doesn't make it rational, especially when most acts of violence occur within racial groups. White people are far more likely to be attacked by other Whites and Black people are far more likely to be attacked by other Blacks.

If you are new to the country you are going to want to stick with people of the same skin colour. Obviously people are going to stare if you are white and walk into southall.

Why?
Reply 39
Before you learn that reverse racism doesn't exist, you need to learn about systematic racism, why there are more way more black people in jail than whites in regards to ratio, you need to learn about police brutality, black people not getting jobs because of their ethnicity, black people are STILL getting hanged every day yet there is no media coverage at all, how black men are generally scared to go to the shops because they're scared the police will kill them or arrest them, I could go on and on and on. But I've explained this so many times to so many people. But like I said, there's no point explaining it because you don't experience it so you won't understand, if you want to feel like you experience racism then ok 😂 WHITE PEOPLE CANNOT EXPERIENCE RACISM. Educate yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending