The Student Room Group

Is there really anything more we should do to prevent terrorism?

Scroll to see replies

stop supporting Saudi Arabia.
Original post by Sammylou40
Citizenship should be revoked. End of.
How many on the watch list are not born in the uk?
Revoke and remove. I suspect there will be far less on the list in the uk to watch and they may be better at it.
We also need to find a way to monitor more closely those who pose a threat outside the uk
I don't know how it can be done or what the answer is
Removal is only a start but we have to start somewhere

I don't know how many are on the watch list... I agree revoking their citizenship (if they survive their suicide attack) that is good obviously and we just send them back to their home country to serve their prison sentence but as I said there is no guarantee their home country will implement the sentence fully.

I think a mandatory life sentence for conducting terrorist attacks is a better option.
Reply 22
I think the sensationalism that surrounds Terror attacks is a big part of the problem.

If News channels like the BBC and Sky didn't dedicate an entire day to it, it wouldn't give the mentally ill bombers so much validity.

I'm not saying this is the main cause for this type of thing but something I always think about when the days news is talking about it all the live long day.
Original post by The RAR
To their parents country, doesn't matter if they are born here.

It does matter. Citizenship is a basic obligation. Not just to the citizens themselves but to other countries - they're our problems and not theirs.

If you support terrorists or work with terrorists you should have your British citizenship taken away from you and receive your parents citizenship instead. Same goes for anyone who gets 4 criminal records.

That's impossible. We have no power to give people the citizenship of another country (ignoring that it's possible their parents were born here as British citizens too).
Original post by Trapz99
There are 23000 potential terrorists living in Britain right now. Keep them in internment camps if British or deport them if they are foreign. It's a disgrace that they are being protected due to 'human rights' when, time and time again, a terror incident happens and the person who did "was known to police and security services". We also need to destroy ISIS

Are you going to pick up a rifle and fly down to Syria yourself? Its easier said than done. Put 20,000+ people in internment camps just because you think they have terrorist relations? Without any evidence? No. You're innocent until proven guilty, it wouldn't be long until we start putting people in camps for other stuff too. Besides, if you deported everyone with 4+ more convictions, you're only deporting your own citizens. You can't just give another countries citizenship to someone because you don't want to deal with your own problems. What if the Afghanistani Government started appointing people British citizenships? Even if their parents were from Britain? There is no second class citizenship anyways, it doesn't matter if your British by blood since the beggining of time, or was the child of parents who immigrated to Britain 20 years ago. A Briton, is a Briton, is a Briton. Anyways, since you'll be on a plane to Syria with the Infantry men armed with semi-automatic machine guns, you won't be able to refute this argument anyways.
Original post by anarchism101
It does matter. Citizenship is a basic obligation. Not just to the citizens themselves but to other countries - they're our problems and not theirs.

That's impossible. We have no power to give people the citizenship of another country (ignoring that it's possible their parents were born here as British citizens too).

Changing the law around here and there yes it would be possible, I agree not giving them citizenship of another country but a lot of these terrorists have dual citizenship(the second one most likely from their parent citizenship) so we can strap away the British one and deport them to whichever country their second citizenship is from. What do you mean their parents were born here? Give me one example of a recent UK terrorist whose parents were born here, the suicide bomber's parents in Manchester were asylum seekers from Libya.
As for the criminals who get 4 criminal convictions I agree a lot of their parents would be born here so just a prison sentence would be enough
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Stop bombing and taking advantage of Muslim countries.

You mean just leave ISIS to fester and grow?

Also, the Charlie Hebdo massacre shows that Islamist extremists will always find an excuse to massacre non-believing Westerners regardless of foreign policy. It's naive to think caving in to Islamists' demands in relation to foreign policy would suddenly stop all terrorist attacks.
The compromise in my view between internment camps and doing nothing is tighter and I am afraid more draconian control orders, which are scrutinised by the courts.
heterosexuality must be eradicated
Well for starters we could stop saying its nothing to do with islam.Maybe try educating people.The more educated a person is the less likely they are to be religious and most terrorists are religious nowadays.
Go live in Antarctica
Reply 31
Original post by Robby2312
Well for starters we could stop saying its nothing to do with islam.Maybe try educating people.The more educated a person is the less likely they are to be religious and most terrorists are religious nowadays.

If people are religious it usually follows from their parents. Think of all the people though who have parents that followed Islam who don't blow people up or even desire to cause harm to those who don't follow the same religion.

It could be that these terrorists had religious parents but that wasn't the reason they became radicalised. Speaking just about the British born terrorists; it's more likely IMO that they were outsiders all their lives and became mentally ill from that. They then go on to be angry with their own lives and lash out in the worst way.
4 simple steps to effectively remove terrorism.

1. All known I.S sympathisers, for example people on high-risk watchlists need to be arrested and taken into questioning.

2. Already/Previously arrested Terrorists/Supporters need kept in Solitary confinement in order to stop them spreading the idioligy to other inmates.

3. Heavy vetting and massive cuts on Immigration, especially from Islamic countries and people without European citizenship.

4. Re-instate Nationalism and give people a national Identity by Installing Union Jacks on all Government/Council/School Buildings, require Children to take the Oath of Allegiance at the start of each school day etc etc. This gives people an identity which they can share despite Skin colour, religion, sect etc. This will bring people together and stop a good portion of extremist thinking.
Original post by The RAR
Changing the law around here and there yes it would be possible, I agree not giving them citizenship of another country but a lot of these terrorists have dual citizenship(the second one most likely from their parent citizenship) so we can strap away the British one and deport them to whichever country their second citizenship is from.

They may be eligible for another country's citizenship, but that doesn't mean they are dual citizens. And again, why would these other country want to grant citizenship to people we've identified as terrorist risks?

What do you mean their parents were born here? Give me one example of a recent UK terrorist whose parents were born here

Richard Reid, Adrian Elms* ("Khalid Masood":wink:, Samantha Lewthwaite, Thomas Mair.

* Elms was raised by a teenage single mother and stepfather, so we don't really know his paternal ancestry, but his mother was certainly British-born.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by user1296
stop supporting Saudi Arabia.

Original post by Iridocyclitis
You mean just leave ISIS to fester and grow?

Also, the Charlie Hebdo massacre shows that Islamist extremists will always find an excuse to massacre non-believing Westerners regardless of foreign policy. It's naive to think caving in to Islamists' demands in relation to foreign policy would suddenly stop all terrorist attacks.

In their newspaper, ISIS have made it very clear that ending our intervention in the Middle East won't stop them attacking us. They give the primary reasons they want to kill us and most of them are essentially because we're non-Muslims.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
In their newspaper, ISIS have made it very clear that ending our intervention in the Middle East won't stop them attacking us. They give the primary reasons they want to kill us and most of them are essentially because we're non-Muslims.

Straight from the horse's mouth, then. I guess people can't now rely on the "it's all the West's fault for their foreign policy in Muslim countries!!!111" argument now.
Original post by Patrick Kennedy
To there parents country.

if there parents are also british?
Original post by Cubone-r
If individuals on the terror watchlist are able to commit acts of terrorism, then yes, there is definitely more we can do to prevent terrorism. The means of how we do that is where the debate comes in.

The thing is, there are a lot of people on the terror watchlist who won't ever actually do anything, and there are people not on the list who will. I totally see where you're coming from, but you can't really detain people because they 'might be' a terrorist because that's not how arresting people works.
Original post by crocodile_ears
The thing is, there are a lot of people on the terror watchlist who won't ever actually do anything, and there are people not on the list who will. I totally see where you're coming from, but you can't really detain people because they 'might be' a terrorist because that's not how arresting people works.

I didn't advocate for the detainment of those on the terror watchlist.
oh okay, sorry. I'm just reading into things wrong then
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending