The Student Room Group

Difficult capacitors problem

I cant seem to get it
What is the potential across C2?
Original post by Student1256
What is the potential across C2?

There I not enough information to solve this problem. Specifically:

a) the values of the components
b) the initial conditions (nature of the supply, charge state of the capacitors at t=0 etc.)
b) if the answer is required for the steady state or at some time after t=0 but before steady state is achieved.
Original post by uberteknik
There I not enough information to solve this problem. Specifically:

a) the values of the components
b) the initial conditions (nature of the supply, charge state of the capacitors at t=0 etc.)
b) if the answer is required for the steady state or at some time after t=0 but before steady state is achieved.

whoops, just realised i forgot to give the info. here it is now:

Two capacitors and a resistor are arranged between two potentials as shown in the figure below. The circuit is left until a steady state is reached, when the voltages across each component are no longer changing.
C_1= 20microfarad C_2= 20 microfarad and R=10,000 Ohm
Original post by Student1256
whoops, just realised i forgot to give the info. here it is now:

Two capacitors and a resistor are arranged between two potentials as shown in the figure below. The circuit is left until a steady state is reached, when the voltages across each component are no longer changing.
C_1= 20microfarad C_2= 20 microfarad and R=10,000 Ohm

By inspection: notice that there is one capacitor in parallel with the resistor.

This is the same as for the case of a capacitor discharging into a resistor. The charge on the parallel capacitor (C2) must decay through the resistor until no charge remains. At which time the p.d. across that capacitor and hence the resistor, will be 0V.

No current can flow from the supply to charge the lower capacitor (C2) via the top capacitor (C1), because the respective capacitor plates are isolated from each other by C1's dielectric insulator.

The answer is 0V. The full 12V supply is developed only across the top capacitor (C1) in steady state.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest