The Student Room Group

Feminists Are Always Unattractive - Is This Generally True?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by konvictz0007
Male feminists is not a good thing.

Women don't want to date women, they want to date proper men like me.

Which girls out there would want these soft spoken boys?

Male feminists are a gift to society. Women want to date men that respect and further them. Not men who put them down and belittle them. Also, you can be a strong, masculine, stereotypical man and still be a feminist. Being a feminist doesn't take away your masculinity, it just means you're intelligent and if anything more attractive.
What is your perception of beauty? This question is stupid and futile.
Most women do not aspire to date "manly men", they want to date someone that they have things in common with.
Original post by G.Y
Male feminists are a gift to society. Women want to date men that respect and further them. Not men who put them down and belittle them. Also, you can be a strong, masculine, stereotypical man and still be a feminist. Being a feminist doesn't take away your masculinity, it just means you're intelligent and if anything more attractive.

This point is perfect!
I know this one person who I think would describe herself as a feminist who has a nice butt, if nothing else. Whatever that counts for.
Original post by umbrella321
Feminists if anything are probably more likely to be attractive - asking for equality takes confidence and experience with dealing with a captive audience...

re defining what is a feminist..don't forget women, like men, are not robots - there is diversity which is what femism alone champions.
If you didn't know already some of these 'fake feminist' scenarios and scenes are produced by misogynistic men, some coming from the community of low-income, unattractive older men who have gone over to East Asia for a teenage model bride and been somehow left surprised and angry at the female world for having been again fleeced before their fantasies of a happy, grateful housewife got realised.

Feminism, to me, is the opportunity to do what you want in life regardless of the genitals you were born with..not being saddled with all the bs qualities men have decided they don't want to have. It is also paving the way for people not to act in accordance with prejudiced ideas that have no bearing on an individual's merits and talents.

As long as you don't want to be a "grid girl" or a walk-on girl at a darts competition etc etc etc.

Women can do what they want, as long as it meets with the pretentious upper-middle class feminists' approval.
Original post by squamouscell123
Most women do not aspire to date "manly men", they want to date someone that they have things in common with.

Sure sure, isn't that reason why reason women going on about wanting to date Rugby players and taller men? :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by squamouscell123
This point is perfect!

Thank you!
Reply 68
Nah, I know a couple who are rather attractive. And Emma Watson! :hump:
Original post by Sharpshooter
Sure sure, isn't that reason why reason women going on about wanting to date Rugby players and taller men? :biggrin:

Most of my circle avoid them like the Plague! P.S I'm 5ft so most men would be biologically taller than me.
Reply 70
Original post by Chief Wiggum
As long as you don't want to be a "grid girl" or a walk-on girl at a darts competition etc etc etc.

Women can do what they want, as long as it meets with the pretentious upper-middle class feminists' approval.

lol no, as a feminist I was upset that the job of grid girls had been scrapped. This decision was taken by a man, not a feminist so you've made a self-defeating point here. Feminists also support sex workers as long as it is their choice and they are happy to do it, as many are. These kinds of things prove your concept of feminism isn't a correct one.
#thirdwavefeminism
Reply 72

Are you a complete virgin? Do you have any experience of the real world of relationships or male-female interactions? Or do you just base your 'knowledge' on cheesy 2000s high-school chick flicks?
Original post by G.Y
Are you a complete virgin? Do you have any experience of the real world of relationships or male-female interactions? Or do you just base your 'knowledge' on cheesy 2000s high-school chick flicks?

My post was just a joke, I can assure you I'm no misogynist.

But it is true though that women by and large do prefer taller men, that's not exactly a myth. 71% of match.com users (females ones) said they would not date a guy shorter than them.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but suggest otherwise would be naive and false.

We don't like rugby players because they are more 'masculine', they tend to have decent bodies i.e. fit but with a little bit of weight so that we are not grossed out by muscle. Also if I'm self analysing why I like rugby players find the way they play is sexy i.e. the way their body moves when receiving the ball is beautiful/sexy, especially if they are good looking. I used to like watching Ronaldo play, the elegance/way his body moves when tackling. Millions of women have had crushes on Ronaldo yet you don't hear the same about Rooney. He is too plain/rough looking.
Original post by G.Y
lol no, as a feminist I was upset that the job of grid girls had been scrapped. This decision was taken by a man, not a feminist so you've made a self-defeating point here. Feminists also support sex workers as long as it is their choice and they are happy to do it, as many are. These kinds of things prove your concept of feminism isn't a correct one.

It was clearly in response to pressure from feminists though.

Obviously not all feminists have identical opinions, but I've met many (highly intellient) people who identify themselves as feminists, and also criticise women who do modelling/beauty competitions etc.

I found that surprising. Despite not identifying as a feminist, I fully support a woman's right to do whatever she wants. Whereas the people who did identify as feminists that I was speaking to, were critical of women who wanted modelling careers etc. It seemed like the "feminists" were actually less supportive of women's freedom and choices than I was...

Original post by G.Y

Surely a pretty widespread feminist principle is that women should not be judged on their appearance or sexual activity? I find it difficult to see how you can square that with comments such as "LOL are you a virgin?!?!" to a (presumably male) poster.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 76
It was clearly in response to pressure from feminists though.

Obviously not all feminists have identical opinions, but I've met many (highly intellient) people who identify themselves as feminists, and also criticise women who do modelling/beauty competitions etc.

I found that surprising. Despite not identifying as a feminist, I fully support a woman's right to do whatever she wants. Whereas the people who did identify as feminists that I was speaking to, were critical of women who wanted modelling careers etc. It seemed like the "feminists" were actually less supportive of women's freedom and choices than I was...

There are definitely different categories of feminism, the majority are the type I fit into and described above. Others are just louder. Also I think it's important to note that there is a vast difference between the older and younger generation. The old are the ones that tend to be more conservative and limiting of women's freedom especially when it comes to things like nudity and sex. For the generation of young feminists it is purely about choice and freedom and I'm sure this better version will soon come to dominate.

Women are more likely to work part-time, and to take career-breaks than men. Even without that, women and men may voluntarily choose to pursue different career paths.
The figure was for men and women in full-time work. Men earn on average £100 more a week. Even for apprentices, who tend not to take career breaks to have children, men average £7.25 while women earn £6.67.

Women do have equal chance to serve in parliament. They are equally able to stand for election as men are.
There is an equal chance to apply as a candidate. There clearly isn't an equal opportunity to stand for election for a major party. With so many good applicants why are only 21% of Conservative MPs women? It's because the constituency selection committees tend to be dominated by men, and they tend to choose male candidates. Look here for a scholarly article that goes through this in detail, with evidence https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/why-arent-there-more-women-british-politics

90% of nurses are women, does that mean that men don't have equal opportunity to pursue a nursing career?
It means that while in theory they have an equal opportunity, many men who would be excellent nurses are deterred from this career. Maybe it's social stereotyping that makes them not think of a nursing career.

Again, women do have the same opportunities to achieve that, if they so desire.
Except of course they don't. If they did have the same opportunities, the only explanation for only 6 women becoming CEO's in the FTSE 100 would be that there were only six women in the UK capable of the job, or that only six women in the country aspired to reach the top position. In reality, CEO's are usually appointed by a panel which is overwhelmingly male. Whether deliberately or not, they tend to appoint men.

Women get better GCSEs and A Level grades than men. ...People normally conclude it's because women work harder in schools than boys...
What are you personally doing, in your role as a teacher and examiner, to address the "gender grade gap" present in our education system?

That's a valid question. On average, women develop communication skills earlier than men. That leads to a gap at school age which closes again in late teens when boys catch up. It's genetic, and explains why some year 7 and 8 boys struggle to have a conversation with their peers while girls rarely do. You can read about it here Nothing to do with girls working harder.
There is an inequality in how society perceives certain behaviours. There are parents of boys who view their misbehaviour as 'just being a lad', and are not concerned about a lack of homework. I've never heard the parent of a girl try to use their gender as an excuse. Most schools end up with a group of low-performing boys and work very hard to change this, but face an uphill battle. There are lots of exceptions to this, but the trend is enough to affect results. Our school has a series of intervention strategies aimed at all pupils who are underperforming. If more boys are doing badly, there will be more boys in the group.

Or what about the "university attendance gap", whereby men are vastly less likely to attend university than women? What are you doing to tackle this in your educational role?

We encourage all students, with the ability to study at university, to apply if they wish. There is a roughly equal ratio each year. The university issue is closely linked to social class, with working class white men being the least likely to apply. That's an issue for society as well as schools to address. We take all year 9 students to a local university so they can see what it's like, but the decision about whether or not to apply is ultimately made by parents, over whom we have little influence.
Why does it matter if someone is attractive or not?

Everyone should be a feminist, even dudes... especially dudes actually.
Reply 79
Original post by konvictz0007
Guys this is the kind of feminist man I was talking about.

You know this person must be a soft person going by what he just said.

I'm struggling to believe you're not a troll...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending