Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Could someone pls help me out?
    In this mcq could someone explain to me how we got the ratio of the drift speeds? I know it's from the I = navq formula but how? TT
    The answer is A
    Name:  Screenshot (33).png
Views: 8
Size:  35.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    I would rearrange so I can see more clearly what the drift speed depends on

v = I/naq

The n and q don't change so essentially we have v α I/a. The thing to watch is that if A has twice the diameter of B, then it has area a 4x as big.

Does that help? Look for a row in the table which would fit the v α I/a relationship.

That clears things up a bit. Thank you =D I just don't understand one thing though. How would the area of A be 4 times as big as area of B? Why not twice?

ReputationRep:
    Yikes, and having read it properly this time, if they're in series, the current must be the same in both, so that knocks out C and D and gives you a 50/50 chance of guessing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.