The Student Room Group

Specific Charge

Hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me on the following questions about specific charge?

could somebody please help me with the following questions about specific charge

1) What is the specific charge of a neutral Sr atom with mass number 88 and a proton number 38

2) What is the specific charge of a Cu atom that has lost 2 electrons, mass number 64 and proton number 29

3) What is the specific charge of the atom I which has gained 1 electron, mass number 127 and proton number 53
(edited 7 months ago)
Hey there
I can help you if you still need my help ??
Why should you go drinking with neutrons?
I can help you there daverichard- I am due to finishing my undergraduate at the university of Oxford ( which is basically for the nerds and poshos like me) I can help you specific charge it is really easy.you should use the equation given

Charge of the particle / Mass of the particle

Hope this helps 💗
Reply 4
I’ve posted this already but no one responded i need help with this homework that’s due soon could anyone please help?

they’re about specific charge

1) What is the specific charge of a neutral Sr atom with mass number 88 and a proton number 38

2) What is the specific charge of a Cu atom that has lost 2 electrons, mass number 64 and proton number 29

3) What is the specific charge of the atom I which has gained 1 electron, mass number 127 and proton number 53
Hi @daverichard,

Thank you for posting in the Chemistry Forum!

I've updated the title of your thread to 'Specific Charge' and added an 'All Levels' study label for better clarity. Since you did not receive responses, it's advisable to be more specific in your query next time to receive a quicker response.

Also, please be aware that generally we do not assist those who do not post their working out first. This is because we want to encourage learning and problem-solving rather than simply providing answers.
I will certainly give you a clue though:
Specific charge = charge (Q) / mass (m)

Once again, thank you for posting and we hope to see more of your threads around the chemistry forum.

5hyl33n
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by daverichard
Could somebody please help me with this question about specific charge? I’m unsure whether or not the fact it’s a neutral atom effects it, or would i just calculate the mass and charge of the protons electrons and neutrons as usual?

Put this in the physics section, not chemistry
Could somebody please help me with this question about specific charge? I’m unsure whether or not the fact it’s a neutral atom effects it, or would i just calculate the mass and charge of the protons electrons and neutrons as usual?

I am not a physics student but from https://www.studysmarter.co.uk/explanations/physics/radiation/specific-charge/
Sr has 38 protons, 38 electrons, 50 neutrons
Specific charge = electrical charge/ particle mass
As it is neutral, electrical charge = 0 so specific charge is 0.

‘In an atom with an equal number of protons and electrons, the specific charge is zero.’
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Put this in the physics section, not chemistry

i thought i did? how do i change it?
i thought i did? how do i change it?

I've moved it for you. It is now in the Physics Forum. :smile:
Loving the desperation in your messages 😂

Quick Reply

Latest