The Student Room Group

University offer

Hello, i have been offered a place, but i must obtain 30 distinctions and 15 merits from my access course. How does it work?
Original post by Shima89
Hello, i have been offered a place, but i must obtain 30 distinctions and 15 merits from my access course. How does it work?

Access to HE Diplomas are made up of 60 credits. Of those, only 45 are graded; the remaining 15 are not. You must successfully achieve 60 credits to be awarded a Diploma. (So even though 15 aren't graded - you still need to pass them.)

Each of the 45 graded credits is graded at pass, merit or distinction, but no overall grade is awarded for the whole Diploma. So a uni can't just say, "We need a distinction overall", (or whatever). So instead they tell you how well you need to do in terms of credits at each grade. Hence you've been asked for "30 distinctions and 15 merits". (It goes without saying that those 15 merits need to be at least merit - it's fine if some of those are distinctions too!)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

Access to HE Diplomas are made up of 60 credits. Of those, only 45 are graded; the remaining 15 are not. You must successfully achieve 60 credits to be awarded a Diploma. (So even though 15 aren't graded - you still need to pass them.)

Each of the 45 graded credits is graded at pass, merit or distinction, but no overall grade is awarded for the whole Diploma. So a uni can't just say, "We need a distinction overall", (or whatever). So instead they tell you how well you need to do in terms of credits at each grade. Hence you've been asked for "30 distinctions and 15 merits". (It goes without saying that those 15 merits need to be at least merit - it's fine if some of those are distinctions too!)

So if i was to obtain 2 of my topics distinctions and the rest merits. Am i safe?
Original post by Shima89
So if i was to obtain 2 of my topics distinctions and the rest merits. Am i safe?

Different units vary in their size - normally three, six or nine credits. If you obtained distinctions or your two largest graded units, that'd give you just 18 distinctions. You need 30. Do you know the size (credits) of each unit in your course, and which are graded/ungraded?
Reply 4

Different units vary in their size - normally three, six or nine credits. If you obtained distinctions or your two largest graded units, that'd give you just 18 distinctions. You need 30. Do you know the size (credits) of each unit in your course, and which are graded/ungraded?

Thank you for your quick response. All my units are 3 credits except 2 which is double the credit thats 6 credits each.
Reply 5

I have 16 units which 4 are ungraded and 2 are 6 credit each. The rest are 3 credits
Original post by Shima89
I have 16 units which 4 are ungraded and 2 are 6 credit each. The rest are 3 credits

So you have 12 graded units, 2 of which are 6 credits each (so 12 credits between them) and 10 of which are 3 units each (so 30 units between them). That's a total of just 42 graded credits. Are you sure? It should total to 45 graded credits.
Reply 7
Im gonna have to double check with my lecturer and get back to you!
I'm also on an access, mine is broken into 15 assignments with 5 assignments per subject (maths, mechanical, electrical) each assignment is worth three credits for my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending