The Student Room Group

Your Opinion on Cultural Appropriation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by erratic_deus
A few decades later, African Americans had their own established communities!
Africans from the motherland started migrating to America with their own natural hair.
They weren't offered jobs because their hair was viewed "messy" or "inappropriate"
Children are kicked out of school because their hair is "unkempt" yet it is the way the hair naturally grows!

Fashions and trends change constantly, as does acceptable and unacceptable attire in the workplace (20 years ago, no professional workplace would have allowed employees to wear enourmous hipster beards for example, but now it is more commonly accepted). This stuff affects everybody, not just black people, I really don't know why you seem to think black people are the only ones who have ever been discouraged from wearing their hair 'natural'. It may shock you to learn that white hair doesn't naturally grow perfectly straight and groomed, and we too have to go to considerable lengths to get our hair to societies prefered standards.

This is usually how our hair grows 'naturally' when left to it's own devices.

Even if he was the most qualified person on Earth, how many professional jobs do think this guy would be offered if he turned up to an interview looking like this? Not many I would imagine.
(edited 6 years ago)
You're a bloody joke. You'll probably grow out of this phase, which is good. I really hope the company reconsiders their decision - or hopefully you'll be dropped as soon as you open your mouth. You're arrogant, racist, and frankly disgusting. Don't you have anything better to do than argue with strangers over an internet forum? You're probably only on here because you're obnoxious and you have no friends. lmao.

I saw you posted your predicted grades by the way.

racism is dumb and so r u
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Give us some evidence why don't you?
Also link the application website too.

Either way. It's a shame that real jobs require good communication skills and that no one here cares about this as it has nothing to do with the debate.

I can PM it to you but the website has my real name so you can't really show anyone.
Original post by cat_mac
Not even a feminist lmao, I prefer being called a catfish :rofl:

Well you had some weird opinions you've shown before but you seem to be more open now I think.

Catfish me next plz
I really think people need to get over themselves. Having an appreciation for ethnic jewellery or hairstyles is not mocking or depreciating another culture.

Oh the irony that ethnic minorities would prohibit white people from doing something based on the colour of their skin.
Well you had some weird opinions you've shown before but you seem to be more open now I think.

Catfish me next plz

same boi catfish me dadi uwu
I can PM it to you but the website has my real name so you can't really show anyone.

Well you've already got a portion of your face and the back of your hair posted on this website anyway. But sure pm it. Guess the only issue is that you could claim to be any of the names there.
Original post by unknown_usr
You're a bloody joke. You'll probably grow out of this phase, which is good. I really hope the company reconsiders their decision - or hopefully you'll be dropped as soon as you open your mouth. You're arrogant, racist, and frankly disgusting. Don't you have anything better to do than argue with strangers over an internet forum? You're probably only on here because you're obnoxious and you have no friends. lmao.

I'm really not arrogant.

But here are my predicted grades.
https://imgur.com/a/Dj7jT
Absolutely no issue with it in itself. In fact I think that sharing cultures is a good thing. The way I see it it's sharing and appreciating other cultures, hobbies, interests, tastes and ways of life. If we're sharing our countries, our money, our knowledge etc why on earth can't we share our hairstyles.
Now the issue I do have with it is claiming it to be your own in a way that blatantly disregards or disrespects it's origin or using it to mock in some way. That's an issues with disrespect/ insensitivity/ racism though, not sharing culture.
I have no problem with genuine appreciation of other cultures and actually think it's a very good thing for encouraging a more united, diverse and respectful society.
Trying to protect against cultural appropriation just feeds this idea of us and them and I don't like it.
I'm going to be a lot more understanding of and friendly with my neighbour if we can both bond over a love of hair braiding or classical music or ice hockey or whatever. Literally anything is linked to a culture if you look far enough, but that shouldn't stop everybody from enjoying it and bonding over it. Sharing cultures is one of the things that makes our world so great and I think it would be very sad to discourage it.

Go 👏 off 👏
I'm really not arrogant.

If only it were possible to be predicted too high and for you to miss those grades. :wink:

same boi catfish me dadi uwu

Sexy xx

Catfish me next plz

When I first joined I was... fiery? I sometimes say things in the heat of the moment then look back the next day like “wow i’m a d*ckhead”. I’m growing and better at keeping a level head now I think :yep:

Honestly hoping to get on the show because Max is finneee
I'm really not arrogant.

I don't care about it enough to look at the grades. sorry bro. You are arrogant and racist. You'll look back on this and cringe, trust me - I used to be an sjw too. Stop picking fights on the internet and sort out whatever's bothering you in real life - doing things like this isn't going to help you become a better person.
Reply 73
I think its just another way to stop people from exchanging cultural ideas and to create divisions between different groups. I feel it tries to place certain cultures under a protected status that has no point but only to serve as a point of contention as who is to say which cultures are deemed 'appropriated' or not?
It seems silly now to mark the point at which we decide cultural exchange is no longer allowed as it has happened for millennia intra and inter-continentally so why particularly now must we take issue with it?
Idk I dont really see the point personally
I don't care about it enough to look at the grades. sorry bro. You are arrogant and racist. You'll look back on this and cringe, trust me - I used to be an sjw too. Stop picking fights on the internet and sort out whatever's bothering you in real life - doing things like this isn't going to help you become a better person.

I'm not a SJW!

I'm for private schools!
I'm not a SJW!

I'm for private schools!

You're a textbook case, love. Racist and won't listen to reason.
Who said that white people can't have X hairstyle?

It's just you.

---- IMO this thread is full of white people who will constantly defend and refuse to listen because they'll understand that they're wrong and always have been from the beginning when they decided that they were the superior race and they'd go on and massacre millions of non-whites to prove their so-called superiority.
The lovely R1B haplogroup.

How DARE you try and blame people who happen to be born white for the mistakes our ancestors made years ago??

If you really want to go down that road, what about the many Africans who SOLD slaves to the west? Don’t think it’s relevant? Neither do I, so don’t you dare try to drag up the past just to substantiate your extremely bigoted belief that every single white person is racist.
His company offered me work experience for 2019 January.
Over 20,000 people apply and 7 students get selected from across the world.
I had to do 5 aptitude tests.

And I interviewed Bill Gates yesterday as he wanted to join my company, but he wasnt a risk taker like. I will, however, be having a discussion with GOD himself on his suitability for the job
Original post by Radioactivedecay
And I interviewed Bill Gates yesterday as he wanted to join my company, but he wasnt a risk taker like. I will, however, be having a discussion with GOD himself on his suitability for the job

Bill Gates doesn't need a job though!
Original post by cat_mac
When I first joined I was... fiery? I sometimes say things in the heat of the moment then look back the next day like “wow i’m a d*ckhead”. I’m growing and better at keeping a level head now I think :yep:

Honestly hoping to get on the show because Max is finneee

Eh dw people can change. Also isn't that show only in the US so you might have some issues getting on. lol

@erratic_deus

Your link is for a summer school not Elon musk's company. Regardless well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending