The Student Room Group

I ain't buying any of this 'International Womens Day' / female self promotion

A little rant as I've grown tired of this self promotion, self pitying mantra that young women are putting out on their social media.

In all my experience of University and working at an investment bank - when the class ended it was only boys who queued up to speak to the lecturer, it was mostly boys who asked questions in class, it was mostly boys who hadthe courage to lead socieites on their own. At work, 75% of the people sat at their desk at 7.30am when I arrived were men. In meetings, it was mostly men who spoke up. When 5pm came, it was mostly women who would shoot off. etc etc I could go on and on. These are all truths I saw with my own two eyes.

I honestly just don't get it. I want to stress that I think women are EVERY bit as capable as men. Yet in line with my previous paragraph, I absolutely don't think you deserve equal pay just by virtue of being a woman. I absolutely don't think that you are discriminated in the workplace when compared to men. My reasons for that are in the above paragraph. For every 1x woman, you have maybe 10x men in most situations related to work (and even sport). That's the thing, it all comes down to ratios.

A girl on Linkedin put a self promotion message up saying that during an internship at an investment bank she was told by a male intern that she was fillinf a quota, and that women are as capable as men etc etc. I'm sorry but, you generally are filling a quota. If we did it on probabilities, there are greater numbers of men out there in your shoes. That's not to say she's not as capable, but she is filling a quota. That's why there are women only breakfasts, women trading games, women only events, woman scholarships. I know of women who got into investment banks for the wrong reasons also (I'll let you work it out) - taking advantage of who they are basically - I suppose that is alright also? All of this and then you are discriminated against in the workforce? Really?

I've just grown tired of the attitude of modern day women. It's always me, me me, poor me and my discriminated life. You would think they were born with no arms and no legs - I find their self pitying incredible. My brother is autistic and he works at ASDA - that's where my sympathy and support goes.

Females have every bit of opportunity and power as men. Many say well society teaches us this and that and that we are not good enough. We need greater inclusion etc etc.. Tough! Do these woman ever stop to puase and think about the male suicide rate in this country and what society has done to these men to make them do that? Do they ever pause and think about something that doesn't relate to themselves, that carried far more importance? It's just not enough to justify the constant poor me attitude, I can't do anything because of men.

Another silly Linkedin post today by someone at McKinsey talking about a lecture given to men to not be scared of women in STEM degrees! They make it sound like men look up to women and think they are the Lionel Messi's in the workforce. I'd loveto have been there and asked her why less females apply for these roles! (hence less of them in the workforce). But of course, she probably would have said that they feel as though society has taught them this and that etc. Again, not good enough. I'd prefer some honesty like a lady on Linkedin who recently said questions what women are doing for each other? That they always expect from men.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel any sympathy towards women, just by virtue of being a woman. I find it insulting actually. There's much worse discrimination out there. It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body andposition to abuse their power and work their way into positions. Have you ever thought of the men who have been discriminated against in thos situations? I feel sorry for people who deserve sympathy, support and encouragement, like my brother. I think these are the people we should be supporting and encouraging.

Am I the only on with these thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

No, you're certainly not the only one with these thoughts. There's a strong argument that you're in the majority, if not the large minority.

But I'd be careful. You seem to be mudding the waters between all women and the ones that claim they're oppressed. Therefore it seems disingenuous to me when you used phrases like:

"It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body and position to abuse their power and work their way into positions"

You're painting with rather broad brush strokes there and making assumptions as well as generalisations. In the context of a real-life debate, saying something like this could put you in the line of fire, so I'd be wary of making such statements which really aren't backed by any fact. It's crass 'red-pill' territory.

Other than that, I mostly agreed with you.
Original post by Toums

No. You are not the only one. You represent the voice of a growing majority.

We live in a sexist society thats becoming more gynocentric day by day. You mention quotas and they are just one example of this sexism. Quotas have denied prospective male politicians and employees jobs, a seat in parliament and a voice in government because of their sex in favour of less experienced, less qualified women. Feminism has created, through quotas, sexist barriers to men in all areas of life from universities to politics to the judicial system. People, particularly men are growing sick of this discrimination. Go to the society section or the news section of this forum...they are full of anti-feminist threads.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Toums
A little rant as I've grown tired of this self promotion, self pitying mantra that young women are putting out on their social media.

In all my experience of University and working at an investment bank - when the class ended it was only boys who queued up to speak to the lecturer, it was mostly boys who asked questions in class, it was mostly boys who hadthe courage to lead socieites on their own. At work, 75% of the people sat at their desk at 7.30am when I arrived were men. In meetings, it was mostly men who spoke up. When 5pm came, it was mostly women who would shoot off. etc etc I could go on and on. These are all truths I saw with my own two eyes.

I honestly just don't get it. I want to stress that I think women are EVERY bit as capable as men. Yet in line with my previous paragraph, I absolutely don't think you deserve equal pay just by virtue of being a woman. I absolutely don't think that you are discriminated in the workplace when compared to men. My reasons for that are in the above paragraph. For every 1x woman, you have maybe 10x men in most situations related to work (and even sport). That's the thing, it all comes down to ratios.

A girl on Linkedin put a self promotion message up saying that during an internship at an investment bank she was told by a male intern that she was fillinf a quota, and that women are as capable as men etc etc. I'm sorry but, you generally are filling a quota. If we did it on probabilities, there are greater numbers of men out there in your shoes. That's not to say she's not as capable, but she is filling a quota. That's why there are women only breakfasts, women trading games, women only events, woman scholarships. I know of women who got into investment banks for the wrong reasons also (I'll let you work it out) - taking advantage of who they are basically - I suppose that is alright also? All of this and then you are discriminated against in the workforce? Really?

I've just grown tired of the attitude of modern day women. It's always me, me me, poor me and my discriminated life. You would think they were born with no arms and no legs - I find their self pitying incredible. My brother is autistic and he works at ASDA - that's where my sympathy and support goes.

Females have every bit of opportunity and power as men. Many say well society teaches us this and that and that we are not good enough. We need greater inclusion etc etc.. Tough! Do these woman ever stop to puase and think about the male suicide rate in this country and what society has done to these men to make them do that? Do they ever pause and think about something that doesn't relate to themselves, that carried far more importance? It's just not enough to justify the constant poor me attitude, I can't do anything because of men.

Another silly Linkedin post today by someone at McKinsey talking about a lecture given to men to not be scared of women in STEM degrees! They make it sound like men look up to women and think they are the Lionel Messi's in the workforce. I'd loveto have been there and asked her why less females apply for these roles! (hence less of them in the workforce). But of course, she probably would have said that they feel as though society has taught them this and that etc. Again, not good enough. I'd prefer some honesty like a lady on Linkedin who recently said questions what women are doing for each other? That they always expect from men.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel any sympathy towards women, just by virtue of being a woman. I find it insulting actually. There's much worse discrimination out there. It's funny that many women complain about being discriminated against, but are equally happy to use their body andposition to abuse their power and work their way into positions. Have you ever thought of the men who have been discriminated against in thos situations? I feel sorry for people who deserve sympathy, support and encouragement, like my brother. I think these are the people we should be supporting and encouraging.

I've found that female students ask more questions than male students and take more key positions in running societies. At work, almost all people are at their desk (why does the time of day matter?) and in meetings women are the most vocal. Most people leave 'on time' though the people doing most of the overtime have been women. This goes for both higher and lower positions.

If the point you're trying to make is that women do less work then I disagree based upon my experience.

You've said that the girl working in an investment bank was just there to fill a quota - how do you know this?

You've also said that women use their body and position to abuse power - how do you know this?

As said above, you've painted a picture of women with an incredibly broad brush, almost to the point where you seem to think that all women self-pity, blame men for their failings, etc. In all my experience of working with women I have never once experienced this. It may be because the people you're referring to are women on the internet, of which there is a lot of self-pitying, but the same can easily be said for men (especially on this forum, jeez).
Original post by CookieButter
Go to the society section or the news section of this forum...they are full of anti-feminist threads.

(Yeah, because most of them are written by you...)
Original post by SHallowvale

I did a cursory count of anti-feminist threads on the first page of the society section...there's roughly speaking 23 in total. 4 of them are mine. Bit desperate aren't you? That's a rhetorical question by the way.
I did a cursory count of anti-feminist threads on the first page of the society section...there's roughly speaking 23 in total. 4 of them are mine. Bit desperate aren't you? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

My apologies, I seem to get that impression because almost all of the threads you make are about feminism... particularly complaining about something.
(edited 6 years ago)

To be fair you do seem to have an unhealthy fixation with feminism. As a consequence you come across as weak and emasculated.
Original post by Toums

Your personal limited, experience is not the overall truth. You make bold statements but don't really back them up. Sure, on a cringy red pill forum what you wrote will count as an infallible argument, however in a real, intellectual debate you're screwed.
Reply 9
Original post by tabbyglitter
Your personal limited, experience is not the overall truth. You make bold statements but don't really back them up. Sure, on a cringy red pill forum what you wrote will count as an infallible argument, however in a real, intellectual debate you're screwed.

My personal 'limited' experience. 4 years of University and 3 in the workplace. Yep, nothing at all!

I make bold statements and do not back them up - you mean like the one you said about in an intellectual debate I would be screwed? Ye you really show a strong argument there!

If that makes you happy going to sleep tonght and kidding yourself, good for you. Poor you though.
Reply 10
I've found that female students ask more questions than male students and take more key positions in running societies. At work, almost all people are at their desk (why does the time of day matter?) and in meetings women are the most vocal. Most people leave 'on time' though the people doing most of the overtime have been women. This goes for both higher and lower positions.

If the point you're trying to make is that women do less work then I disagree based upon my experience.

You've said that the girl working in an investment bank was just there to fill a quota - how do you know this?

You've also said that women use their body and position to abuse power - how do you know this?

As said above, you've painted a picture of women with an incredibly broad brush, almost to the point where you seem to think that all women self-pity, blame men for their failings, etc. In all my experience of working with women I have never once experienced this. It may be because the people you're referring to are women on the internet, of which there is a lot of self-pitying, but the same can easily be said for men (especially on this forum, jeez).

Anyone can take a key position in a society, I specifically meant taking a position without support. It is similar with being an entreprenuer and running the risk of losing everything - men will take these gambles, most women won't. There's a reason all top entreprenuers you see are male.

To say women are more vocal than men in meetings is even objectively speaking, incorrect (and I'm sure you know that).

She is there to fill a quota, because many more ready and applicable men will have applied for reasons I explained before. How do I know this? Why do women only trading games exist? Women only breakfasts? I know girls who got into banks via these 2 routes. They exist to fill the female quota and agenda. Nothing else. Nada.

How do I know women use their body and position to get promotions etc? I work in an investment bank - it's common knowledge if you know the right people. I've seen this. I know of girls who did such things to get into places.

What I'm fundamentally saying is that the young woman of today strongly belives in girl powers, in female rights, in females being great, in not stopping them from pushing on, in not Holding them back, in giving them equal pay etc etc Noone is stopping them - only themselves do. Noone is holding them back - they are given too much opportunity in this modern day relative to how many of them are competing. They are not born legless and armless, or disabled. They need to stop parading the idea of women being trated unfairly, they are not.
Original post by Toums
My personal 'limited' experience. 4 years of University and 3 in the workplace. Yep, nothing at all!

I make bold statements and do not back them up - you mean like the one you said about in an intellectual debate I would be screwed? Ye you really show a strong argument there!

If that makes you happy going to sleep tonght and kidding yourself, good for you. Poor you though.

lol..His/her comment is not only devoid of backing. Its devoid of a counterargument too. Its basically just her/him telling you that you are wrong because she/he thinks so....oh she/he also said that if this was a real intellectual debate you would be screwed. What she/he is telling you here is that real intellectuals with a proper counter argument have yet to join this thread....

You might want to brace yourself for those "real intellectuals" screwing you by correcting your spelling, throwing childish insults at you or reporting your thread for hurting their feelings. That is what equates to real intellectual debate in feminism.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12

Does that count include your self-congratulating sock puppet accounts?
Yeah, I always found it amusing how the upper-middle class privately educated white women at Cambridge with parents who are doctors/lawyers/bankers complained about how "disadvantaged" they were due to their gender...

Yeah, try being a working class person (of either gender) growing up on a council housing estate.
Original post by Toums

Personal as in you believe your anecdotes to representative of women over all. You don't provide any statistics. If you did provide valid stats to back yourself up I would think you have a point. All you did was just bitterly complain about the women you saw in your own life. You can't make assumptions based on anecdotes, this is what I meant when I said you'd be screwed in a real debate.
lol..His/her comment is not only devoid of backing. Its devoid of a counterargument too. Its basically just her/him telling you that you are wrong because she/he thinks so....oh she/he also said that if this was a real intellectual debate you would be screwed. What she/he is telling you here is that real intellectuals with a proper counter argument have yet to join this thread....

You might want to brace yourself for those "real intellectuals" screwing you by correcting your spelling, throwing childish insults at you or reporting your thread for hurting their feelings. That is what equates to real intellectual debate in feminism.

Oh dear lord.
Reply 16
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, I always found it amusing how the upper-middle class privately educated white women at Cambridge with parents who are doctors/lawyers/bankers complained about how "disadvantaged" they were due to their gender...

Yeah, try being a working class person (of either gender) growing up on a council housing estate.

A bit like women with MA in Gender Studies complaining that there are not enough women in STEM.
Original post by Toums

Crikey - you are living dangerously - you had better not come across my daughter - currently doing a STEM Phd at a world class university.

I have heard how she has been patronised by some fellow students ( and lecturers) who think that because she is female and girly she is a bit dim. Sometimes when she tells strangers what she does, they don't believe her.

Yes she is in the minority and I think that is a shame because women are every bit as capable.

What you haven't touched on is the fact that the women tend to be the ones having children! And they tend to be the one who have to stay at home to look after them. Getting back into the workplace after that is always harder.

But I get what you are aiming at 100%.
You don’t think women are discriminated but think they shouldn’t get equal pay? I don’t understand that.

Idgaf really, hardly any men do my job and I basically work with all women so luckily don’t come across views such as yours in the workplace.
yawn. did you write all that so thristy tsr men can fall in your dms?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending