The Student Room Group

Should disabled people be the ones to decide if cafes should have disabled toilets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sataris
You should go to Japan, their toilets are on another level

Is there a lift?
Original post by nulli tertius
Is there a lift?

I just knew someone was gonna say that :lol:
Original post by TomW624
Based on what OP is saying wherever they go where there is carpet they are all basically 100% biological fibre carpets in every establishment (based on how they think their "allergy" works) which doesn't sound quite right to me.

I think we need a few more details from OP such as age, education level (especially biology/immunology), age of diagnosis for their allergy and most importantly carpet expertise to rival yours.

Commercial heavy carpet is 100% man made polyprop (plastic) so no natural fibres.
Just expand current toilets, or new ones to accommodate disabled why make separate ones
Original post by Guru Jason
Commercial heavy carpet is 100% man made polyprop (plastic) so no natural fibres.

Yeah i know :smile:

I was going for a ridiculous sarcastic statement with the 100% biological carpet thing based on what OP has been saying :biggrin:
Original post by TomW624
Based on what OP is saying wherever they go where there is carpet they are all basically 100% biological fibre carpets in every establishment (based on how they think their "allergy" works) which doesn't sound quite right to me.

I think we need a few more details from OP such as age, education level (especially biology/immunology), age of diagnosis for their allergy and most importantly carpet expertise to rival yours.

That is of no use to me. I have an immediate practical solution which is to avoid medium to long-term exposure to carpets. I don't need a thick doctor to tell me that. They don't believe in allergies anyway (except hayfever), or at least have not done so until very recently.
Original post by cobblers555
That is of no use to me. I have an immediate practical solution which is to avoid medium to long-term exposure to carpets. I don't need a thick doctor to tell me that. They don't believe in allergies anyway (except hayfever), or at least have not done so until very recently.

Allergies are not something you "believe" in either they are there or they are not.

I'm not quite sure that you understand what an allergy is...

Two quick questions:

1. Do you know what is actually causing your allergy?

2. What class of antibody causes the reaction?

Answer before googling please.
Original post by TomW624
Allergies are not something you "believe" in either they are there or they are not.

I'm not quite sure that you understand what an allergy is...

Two quick questions:

1. Do you know what is actually causing your allergy?

2. What class of antibody causes the reaction?

Answer before googling please.

1.carpets

2. no idea
1.carpets

2. no idea

1. Incorrect

2. So you do need a doctor
You don't go to the toilet every time you go to a cafe do you?
What about old facilities?

If it’s absolutely impossible to incorporate a disabled toilet into an old facility, there’s nothing the owners can do and they definitely shouldn’t have to close. It’s very inconvenient but it’s not like it’s the only/worst thing a lot of disabled people have to put up with
Original post by TomW624
1. Incorrect

2. So you do need a doctor

If I went to a doctor, the conversation would be something like this:

Me: Carpets give me breathing problems

Doctor: You should get out more.

Me: Thank you very much. I'll sort myself out.
If I went to a doctor, the conversation would be something like this:

Me: Carpets give me breathing problems

Doctor: You should get out more.

Me: Thank you very much. I'll sort myself out.

Yes you don't know how to describe your symptoms to a doctor not very shocking since you don't know what an allergy is. Do you think they would accept you suffer from rhinitis?

Again you're not qualified to say you have an allergy. I wouldn't trust your ELISA or RAST results, I doubt you could effectively carry out a "scratch test". Probably don't even know the difference between an allergy and an intolerance.
(edited 5 years ago)
A lot of cafes and coffee bars have had to close down because the floor plan would be unviable if a disabled toilet were to be installed. At the moment, it is leftists who decide what disabled people need. Disabled people hardly ever use the disabled toilets in cafes. Yet the government insists that these toilets are installed. Should not disabled people be asked exactly what they want before implementing laws?

No. There should always be accessible disability access toilets.
A lot of cafes and coffee bars have had to close down because the floor plan would be unviable if a disabled toilet were to be installed. At the moment, it is leftists who decide what disabled people need. Disabled people hardly ever use the disabled toilets in cafes. Yet the government insists that these toilets are installed. Should not disabled people be asked exactly what they want before implementing laws?

Are you disabled?

Has your favourite cafe shut down because you couldn’t go to the toilet in it?
Original post by TomW624
Yes you don't know how to describe your symptoms to a doctor not very shocking since you don't know what an allergy is. Do you think they would accept you suffer from rhinitis?

Again you're not qualified to say you have an allergy. I wouldn't trust your ELISA or RAST results, I doubt you could effectively carry out a "scratch test". Probably don't even know the difference between an allergy and an intolerance.

I don't think there is any difference between an allergy and an intolerance. The word 'allergy' is starting to be used by 'medical professionals' to mean an extreme reaction to a substance, sometimes even in the smallest quantity. (20 years ago, a medical professsional equated 'allergy' with 'psychosomatosis'; they would have said there was no such thing as food allergy. )

In today's vernacular, a food intolerance is a mild allergy.
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't think there is any difference between an allergy and an intolerance. The word 'allergy' is starting to be used by 'medical professionals' to mean an extreme reaction to a substance, sometimes even in the smallest quantity. (20 years ago, a medical professsional equated 'allergy' with 'psychosomatosis; they would have said there was no such thing as food allergy. )

You're so wrong it hurts and that's why you need a doctors opinion.
I don't think there is any difference between an allergy and an intolerance. The word 'allergy' is starting to be used by 'medical professionals' to mean an extreme reaction to a substance, sometimes even in the smallest quantity. (20 years ago, a medical professsional equated 'allergy' with 'psychosomatosis'; they would have said there was no such thing as food allergy. )

Since you seem to disagree with fact, refuse to try and comprehend science and given you "beliefs and thinking" I can only assume you believe in homeopathy. Therefore I'm done trying to teach you basic immunology.

But as a hail mary.

Allergies are immune responses most often cause by the stimulation of IgE Antibodies which cause mast cells to release histamine, but can also be some other immune response.

An intolerance is usually caused by lack of production of enzymes or chemicals in the body to either break down or absorb substances. They are categorised by their mechanism.

So at least you now know what an allergy is even if you're not smart enough to k Ow what you are reacting to.
Original post by TomW624
Since you seem to disagree with fact, refuse to try and comprehend science and given you "beliefs and thinking" I can only assume you believe in homeopathy. Therefore I'm done trying to teach you basic immunology.

But as a hail mary.

Allergies are immune responses most often cause by the stimulation of IgE Antibodies which cause mast cells to release histamine, but can also be some other immune response.

An intolerance is usually caused by lack of production of enzymes or chemicals in the body to either break down or absorb substances. They are categorised by their mechanism.

So at least you now know what an allergy is even if you're not smart enough to k Ow what you are reacting to.

OK, so if you fail to digest gluten due to lack of enzymes, will the undigested gluten cause the stimulation of IgE antibodies?
OK, so if you fail to digest gluten due to lack of enzymes, will the undigested gluten cause the stimulation of IgE antibodies?

Only if you're allergic to wheat...

But then I'd assume you would see clinical allergy symptoms before you see Coeliac or NCGS symptoms.

P. S. I'm glad you're asking relevant questions though.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending