The Student Room Group

Feminists : Fight Me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NazRaf
Nah there have been reports about gender pay gaps in the same job (search it up if you don't believe me)
I don't believe women are opressed in the West either, but the genders aren't both completely equal

Then thats completely illegal and whoever pays their salary should be charged. It's a crime so if there are 'reports' the police should look into them.
Original post by Shashyboi
Of course women and feminists are going to get a harder time in the media, what with all of their shouting, protesting, inhibiting the right of free speech, and of course, their nudeness in the streets along with smearing their menstrual blood on their faces. I’m pretty sure none of that gets them anywhere but in a bad place in the media.

What are you on about 😂😂😂 I’m dead. I mean being civilised but getting bad press for wearing the wrong makeup, or the wrong dress that’s kind of thing
Reply 22

Ok I understand where you’ve come from with that. But these statistics were calculated by adding up the total salaries of every single female worker in their workforce and dividing it by the number of workers. The same was done for men. Thereby, this becomes just an ‘average salary’ difference. Not a pay gap. It is affected by the amount of men in senior positions, the amount of women in junior positions, the amount of hours every woman works (since that affects her salary), and the amount every man works, which is proven on average to be more than a given woman. So this article, similar to so many others is just trying to regurgitate information without the correct processing of it or stating how that information was actually derived.
Reply 23
Original post by zasbalroop
What are you on about 😂😂😂 I’m dead. I mean being civilised but getting bad press for wearing the wrong makeup, or the wrong dress that’s kind of thing

How are you getting bad press from that?
i
So you don’t think they get a harder time in the media for example or get held to different standards

i definitely think that there are really unfair and unattainable standards of beauty for both genders. but to be honest, i don't see feminists doing much for this anyway. i don't think they can get people on their side or get people to listen to them if they make themselves so hated and rude. think about it, when have you ever been able to get someone to believe in you or your cause by insulting them or by shutting down their counter-argument?

also i don't see the feminists do much for men and the injustices they face either. we all know the standard of tall guys being attractive, abs, tanned skin etc etc - and these are just to to with physical standards, there are so many more
That’s because men dominate the other sectors but nvm haha.

if you have an argument, make it? i don't know what you mean
Reply 26
Original post by Afforestation
Then thats completely illegal and whoever pays their salary should be charged. It's a crime so if there are 'reports' the police should look into them.

I completely agree
There are online stats but idk what's being done about them
How are you getting bad press from that?

Not saying I like her but take Theresa May as an example
Only example I know is things like gender pay gap and disproportionate representation in various sectors. Do note that I would not call myself a feminist 😂😂

May I ask why? An honest question.

Feminism is simply the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of equality. It’s not a word to be afraid of identifying with 😊
Reply 29
Original post by RainDancess
there are many people, in England, that believe that men SHOULD be in higher positions(thinking they are mens roles) and so they kind of are oppressed.

Why should they not? If they have better qualifications, work experience, less external time commitments, more dedication then of course they should be in higher positions.
Saying that they should be in higher positions JUST because of their gender is highly sexist and I don’t agree with that.
But anyways, this still doesn’t make them oppressed. Employers don’t think lowly of women so society can go **** all shouldn’t it? Society doesn’t decide whether an employer hires a female manager or head of operations does it? Exactly then. So it in fact DOESNT make them oppressed
Hmmm I’m not bashing you but the gender wage gap doesn’t exist lol.

Oh so you’re telling me the gender pay gap statistics the government collects are non-existential? As are those in every other country around the world? Of course, that’s how we know that 8/10 UK firms pay men MORE than women.
Original post by FloralHybrid
May I ask why? An honest question.

Feminism is simply the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of equality. It’s not a word to be afraid of identifying with 😊

Heavy emphasis on it at my school and I just get sick of it, it gets taken too far and is blown way out of proportion I feel. They preach too much to us girls when there’s only so much we can do, it needs to be addressed to everyone. but it isn’t even that big of a problem tbh they need to calm it sometimes uno
Ok I understand where you’ve come from with that. But these statistics were calculated by adding up the total salaries of every single female worker in their workforce and dividing it by the number of workers. The same was done for men. Thereby, this becomes just an ‘average salary’ difference. Not a pay gap. It is affected by the amount of men in senior positions, the amount of women in junior positions, the amount of hours every woman works (since that affects her salary), and the amount every man works, which is proven on average to be more than a given woman. So this article, similar to so many others is just trying to regurgitate information without the correct processing of it or stating how that information was actually derived.

exactly what i said, yep
Actually it does - if you do a bit of research you'll find that women consistently earn less than men for the same job. The gap is also much larger for women of colour, and Latina women earn on average 54 percent of the average man's salary, again for the same job. It's predicted that we will only reach complete pay equity in 2059! I understand that the term feminism holds some negative connotations, but it was originally coined by Charles Fourier in the 1800s when he saw that women had approximately the same rights as slaves. These days it's become about much more than that- it's about equality for all genders, men women, non-binary, trans etc. Women are still at a major disadvantage across the world, for example child birth is the leading cause of death in girls aged 15-19. I'll try not to go on too much since you'd only write me off as a crazy feminist, but please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to give a representative answer.
Reply 34
Original post by NazRaf
I completely agree
There are online stats but idk what's being done about them

If there’re online stats and nothing is being done about them then either you’ve made a very clear mistake in processing the data, or as I mentioned before, the wage is just a mean, so the number of workers of each gender can affect that too.
Original post by gracielyons15
Oh so you’re telling me the gender pay gap statistics the government collects are non-existential? As are those in every other country around the world? Of course, that’s how we know that 8/10 UK firms pay men MORE than women.

i think they're manipulated to push a certain agenda. the gender pay gap, as i've already said and someone else too, is literally the mean of average female income divided by the mean of average male income. IT DOES NOT take into account difference in job positions, education/qualifications etc.

As to the 8/10 statistic, does that take into account the hours worked by the men and women?
Reply 36
If there’re online stats and nothing is being done about them then either you’ve made a very clear mistake in processing the data, or as I mentioned before, the wage is just a mean, so the number of workers of each gender can affect that too.

Nope, you can look on the BBC or search up online, there are statistics about the wage gap in the same job
Reply 37
Original post by m.aurelius
exactly what i said, yep

Original post by gracielyons15

Well. I am going to enjoy shutting you down now.
First of all, I’m not saying that the statistics are non existential. All I’m saying is that they’re regurgitated in a way, usually with a Democrat or labour gov, that doesn’t show how they’re actually derived. I’ve mentioned as a reply to another comment how differently you think the stats are calculated and how they actually are calculated. I’ve explained so if you could take a minute to read through that comment.
Secondly, I’m fairly sure, that once again your stats are fabricated. In fact, in 50 of the largest cities in the USA, time magazine, IN 2010, actually published an article saying that women on average get paid more than men, but hmmmmmm do we see men complaining? I think nottt...
Reply 38
Original post by mollypew
Actually it does - if you do a bit of research you'll find that women consistently earn less than men for the same job. The gap is also much larger for women of colour, and Latina women earn on average 54 percent of the average man's salary, again for the same job. It's predicted that we will only reach complete pay equity in 2059! I understand that the term feminism holds some negative connotations, but it was originally coined by Charles Fourier in the 1800s when he saw that women had approximately the same rights as slaves. These days it's become about much more than that- it's about equality for all genders, men women, non-binary, trans etc. Women are still at a major disadvantage across the world, for example child birth is the leading cause of death in girls aged 15-19. I'll try not to go on too much since you'd only write me off as a crazy feminist, but please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to give a representative answer.

Men are more likely to do overtime, push for promotions, take less leave and go into high paying areas of work. Women belonging to ethnic-minorities are obviously more likely to earn less than the average man, as many of them live in economically deprived areas. The means that they will have a poorer quality education, healthcare and gang crime will be more prevalent. Smart individuals from these areas may very well be diverted into gang crime. There's many factors at play here.
Original post by m.aurelius
i think they're manipulated to push a certain agenda. the gender pay gap, as i've already said and someone else too, is literally the mean of average female income divided by the mean of average male income. IT DOES NOT take into account difference in job positions, education/qualifications etc.

As to the 8/10 statistic, does that take into account the hours worked by the men and women?

Of course it does, you fool. Why on earth would the government waste time making up statistics which make themselves look bad, even like they’re failing at running a supposedly post-modernistic society?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending