The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Tommy Robinson racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xx1t35
He is a racist but he decorates it with ‘islamophobia’ because he thinks he can get away with it. And all of his followers are stupid racist idiots who scream that immigrants are taking their jobs when they barely passed their GCSE’s and spend every waking second at their local pub.

And I assume you know that because you can read his mind and the minds of all of his followers?
Tommy Robinson is not a racist, he's never said or done anything racist. Don't listen to people who say otherwise.

He's merely against Islam, which is a religion, not a race, and therefore not racist.
Original post by Underscore__
And I assume you know that because you can read his mind and the minds of all of his followers?

I know this because there are tons of people in my area who are TR supporters and they are constantly racist. There's no reason to support scum like him who shouts 'rape her' to black women on TV, who targets muslim's and promotes terrorism. The only reason is if you're a bitter racist. You can sit there and defend this scum all you want, but I can guarantee that no employer or no university professor in their right mind will want to hire someone who sees any credibility in this foolish man. So good luck with that.
Original post by xx1t35
I know this because there are tons of people in my area who are TR supporters and they are constantly racist. There's no reason to support scum like him who shouts 'rape her' to black women on TV, who targets muslim's and promotes terrorism. The only reason is if you're a bitter racist. You can sit there and defend this scum all you want, but I can guarantee that no employer or no university professor in their right mind will want to hire someone who sees any credibility in this foolish man. So good luck with that.

So because you’ve seen a handful of Tommy Robinson supporters behaving badly they must all behave in the same way. Judging a group based on the actions of a minority sounds pretty similar to what you’re accusing Tommy Robinson supporters of doing.
So because you’ve seen a handful of Tommy Robinson supporters behaving badly they must all behave in the same way. Judging a group based on the actions of a minority sounds pretty similar to what you’re accusing Tommy Robinson supporters of doing.

No, I'm saying if you support someone as scum and racist as Tommy Robinson, you must be racist and scum yourself. Because why else would you support someone like that? And judging someone because they're being hateful and racist is NOT the same as judging someone based on their race. Are you that stupid? Jesus christ I thought people on TSR were meant to be smart
Original post by xx1t35
No, I'm saying if you support someone as scum and racist as Tommy Robinson, you must be racist and scum yourself. Because why else would you support someone like that? And judging someone because they're being hateful and racist is NOT the same as judging someone based on their race. Are you that stupid? Jesus christ I thought people on TSR were meant to be smart

You've successfully decreased my IQ
Original post by xx1t35

You can support someone with supporting everything they do/say. For example, I assume that most supporters of Jeremy Corbyn aren’t big fans of memorialising terrorists.

You aren’t judging someone because they’re being hateful and racist, you’re judging all people who support someone because some of their supporters are hateful and racist.

I’m not sure why you think people on here are supposedly intelligent, think of it as a microcosm of real life
Reply 587
You can support someone with supporting everything they do/say. For example, I assume that most supporters of Jeremy Corbyn aren’t big fans of memorialising terrorists.

Given that everything he says is racist...

You aren’t judging someone because they’re being hateful and racist, you’re judging all people who support someone because some of their supporters are hateful and racist.

Its not exactly a leap of logic to assume the vast majority of his followers are racists of various stripes. Especially given that is his main (read: only) attraction.
Original post by Napp

I’m pretty sure I’ve asked someone to do this before but could you quote a single racist thing he’s said.

That’s all you see as his attraction. You can’t see into the minds of everyone who supports him so you don’t know the motivations of everyone who supports him.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 589
I’m pretty sure I’ve asked someone to do this before but could you quote a single racist thing he’s said.

If you want i'd be happy to alter my comment to xenophobic/islamophobic? At any rate, the fact he has been 'smart' enough to not be caught on camera hurling explicitly racist abuse is not exactly exculpatory in this case given that everything else he says is quite clearly still aimed at various ethnic groups.

That’s all you see as his attraction. You can’t see into the minds of everyone who supports him so you don’t know the motivations of everyone who supports him.

Not entirely sure appealing to the trouble of definitively proving it by finding the actual smoking gun is really a defence in this instance.. Pray tell what his appeal is beside his incessant brown and muslim bashing is though?
Your first paragraph isn’t included in the quote for some reason but I’ll address it here:

Well in part yes, I’ve only ever known of him speaking against Islam, not races but also, what has he ever said that she shows he hates Muslims as individuals rather than their religion? Criticising the religion, it’s practices and its teachings is fair game. Disliking people simply for following a religion isn’t.

What you’re saying is because he doesn’t like Islam he must be a racist, that makes perfect sense.

Original post by Napp
Not entirely sure appealing to the trouble of definitively proving it by finding the actual smoking gun is really a defence in this instance.. Pray tell what his appeal is beside his incessant brown and muslim bashing is though?

I don’t know, you’d have to ask his supporters, it would be wrong of me to tell you not assume his appeal to them and then do the same myself.
Time was that joining the BNP was quite enough evidence for most people :rolleyes:

I’m not sure why you think people on here are supposedly intelligent, think of it as a microcosm of real life

I would never support someone who is racist or sexist. Simple as! And I judge people that do. Sorry! I'm a minority, and I do not want to be friends or have any liking towards anyone who would support someone like that.
Original post by xx1t35
I would never support someone who is racist or sexist. Simple as! And I judge people that do. Sorry! I'm a minority, and I do not want to be friends or have any liking towards anyone who would support someone like that.

You haven’t actually established that Tommy Robinson is racist so your point is baseless.
You haven’t actually established that Tommy Robinson is racist so your point is baseless.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1106569294966636546?s=20 And before you say 'its islamophobia not racism'. 1) Watch the video, he is clearly racist too. 2) Islamophobia is still VERY bad and is an extension of xenophobia and racism.

You done now?
Original post by xx1t35
https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1106569294966636546?s=20 And before you say 'its islamophobia not racism'. 1) Watch the video, he is clearly racist too. 2) Islamophobia is still VERY bad and is an extension of xenophobia and racism.

You done now?

Congratulations, you found a video of spliced clips that show virtually zero context. He may or may not be racist but that video doesn’t prove he is
Congratulations, you found a video of spliced clips that show virtually zero context. He may or may not be racist but that video doesn’t prove he is

You clearly didn't watch the video, or you're just so racist that you've been brainwashed into thinking what he said wasn't racist. This isn't looking good for you dear. Do you really think any academic or any employer would want to hire anyone who supports someone who think it's acceptable to say those things? I mean, that's kind of cute.
Original post by xx1t35
You clearly didn't watch the video, or you're just so racist that you've been brainwashed into thinking what he said wasn't racist. This isn't looking good for you dear. Do you really think any academic or any employer would want to hire anyone who supports someone who think it's acceptable to say those things? I mean, that's kind of cute.

Condescension doesn’t make your argument any stronger. Most of what he says in the video is about Islam/Muslims therefore it couldn’t possibly be racist. The clips are snippets taken with no context, which, if he is truly a racist, does a disservice to the argument against him. Cutting clips together without proper context is a cheap trick.
Reply 598
Your first paragraph isn’t included in the quote for some reason but I’ll address it here:

Well in part yes, I’ve only ever known of him speaking against Islam, not races but also, what has he ever said that she shows he hates Muslims as individuals rather than their religion? Criticising the religion, it’s practices and its teachings is fair game. Disliking people simply for following a religion isn’t.

Quite true although in answer to that i would put forward the point that
a) It would seem little more than a convenient excuse, as opposed to the truth, in his hiding behind notionally critising the people and not the religion. I.e. the two are inextricably linked.
b) You cant really bash islams practices without ipso facto bashing those who actually practice it.

What you’re saying is because he doesn’t like Islam he must be a racist, that makes perfect sense.

What im saying is he doesnt like islam and in turn also doesnt like its adherents which given the vast majority of them are Middle Eastern and Asian it would come across as rather specious he doesnt like those people in turn.

Reply 599
Original post by Tribulogic
Tommy Robinson is not a racist, he's never said or done anything racist. Don't listen to people who say otherwise.

Do you have a shred of evidence to back up this claim? I mean simple maths would say you're wrong on that..

Latest

Trending

Trending