The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
nermin
even if the ure group is tomorrow...questions will be very similar, but rather than giving u a solenoid for planning the'll give u a straight wire...they can change the capacitors connections from parallel to series and so on...however generally exams are very similar

Hang on, so people taking it tomorrow will know pretty much what the questions are going to be?

Awesome :smile:
Reply 61
J242
Do you guys know where to get the mark scheme for Jan 2004? The mark schemes on the link that was posted previously don't work

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.taggart/physics/markschemes.htm
Reply 62
Well I think generally what happens is they use similar equipment (for the convenience of centres) but the questions will be different.
Reply 63

Thanks! Also.. what are the errors associated with vernier calipers and micrometers?
Reply 64
J242
Well I think generally what happens is they use similar equipment (for the convenience of centres) but the questions will be different.

Still seems odd. Does that mean that people who haven't taken it yet (which means quite a few here) will know the rough topics that it will be on, and what sort of questions to expect?
Reply 65
J242
Thanks! Also.. what are the errors associated with vernier calipers and micrometers?

Off the top of my head I'd say it would be roughly 1 micrometer, as it's measured from both sides. Not sure that it's not 0.5 micrometers though, but tbh I doubt if the answer is 1 and you say 0.5 they'd mark you wrong.
AlphaWulf
Still seems odd. Does that mean that people who haven't taken it yet (which means quite a few here) will know the rough topics that it will be on, and what sort of questions to expect?

To an extent, they are generally the same topics but done in different ways. Example group A might have to state how to measure the thickess of a piece of paper, whereas group B has to measure it.
So what were the 3 questions 1,2 and 3 (planning) on today?
I'm also curious to know what turned up yesterday.
Flower404
can we discuss the exam yet?

does this mean that some people sat the exam today whilst others (ie me) are sitting it tomorrow?!
No they are different exams but with some similarities
aaah i see thanks.
so im guessing from the sound of things that hall probs, fields and capacitors could be coming up?
Reply 72
J242

Well Alphawulf have said about the errors, thats more like uncertainities. The error in a micrometer is known as zero error. It depends if zero is above or below the reference line. You probably know it already.

In vernier calipers the zero of VSR should coincide with zero of MSR.

Usually in A2 they do not ask of these errors but it helps knowing it.

Hope that helps.

Best of Luck.
Reply 73
scottster66
aaah i see thanks.
so im guessing from the sound of things that hall probs, fields and capacitors could be coming up?

Go through resonance and stationary waves too. Will be useful to have idea of these too.
Reply 74
nermin
Re: Edexcel Physics Practical (Unit 5)

It was a solenoid and Hall probe along with sensor for planning. My diagram wasnt as neat as it should have been, but well perhaps its ok. The graph was also easy, no log or ln to be used, though the last question was tricky. Was the central value twice the value of the end? I took values from the graph and got it 20 times more !

I think wut u did is perfectly correct...as long as u have indicated that u have placed the hall probe parallel to the magnetic field

Are you sure? I obtained the distance when the magnetic field is halved from the graph and compared it with the distance of the end from the centre(which can be calculated by dividing the total length of the solenoid by half). The percentage difference was really small.(less than 10%)

I seriously don't wish to get that part wrong as i've totally screwed up the stationary wave section. What was the wavelength? I only got 78 while most of my friends were able to get 88. :s-smilie:
Reply 75
~Adel~
Are you sure? I obtained the distance when the magnetic field is halved from the graph and compared it with the distance of the end from the centre(which can be calculated by dividing the total length of the solenoid by half). The percentage difference was really small.(less than 10%)

I seriously don't wish to get that part wrong as i've totally screwed up the stationary wave section. What was the wavelength? I only got 78 while most of my friends were able to get 88. :s-smilie:

Don't discuss the exam yet otherwise you will get a serious warning. I speak from experience.
Reply 76
Everyone else's discussing it...by the way, i think discussions are allowed once 12 hours have passed. It's been a day since i sat for the practical test.
Reply 77
yeah, it's cool to talk about the Practical
So how did everyone find it?

I thought it was harder than past papers, but still okay :smile: !
Reply 79
~Adel~

hey yea i got less then 10% as well. I messed up on the wavelength question too, everyone couldnt actually set up the 2nd harmonic wave....i just tuk a guess at the end.

Latest