The Student Room Group

My GCSE journey!! 🦞

Hey! I'm a jellyfish enthusiast who's studying for GCSEs now.
I'm a bit nervous as I'm not the type of person who'd vigorously study for exams - so hopefully, I'll do great in my final exams!
I've just done mocks, so here are my results.

Mock results:
8 - Biology AQA (4 marks off a 9!)
9 - Chemistry AQA
8 - Physics AQA (1 mark off a 9 ☹️ )
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel
9 - Fine Art (I think it's Edexcel)
9 - Classical Civilisation OCR
7 - German CIE (around 5 marks off an 8!)
9 - Religion and Philosophy AQA

Honestly, I don't know how I got a 9 in some of these subjects (I woke up at 5 in the morning of the Classics exam because I haven't revised. Did around 2 hrs of revision, and still got the top grade in my year??).
So perhaps it's just luck mixed with hard work.

My main goal is to get all 9's during GCSEs; However, German is an exception, as I'm all right with anything between 7-and 9 in this subject.

Goodluck to anyone else studying for GCSE/A-levels/IB or anything else this year!
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelllyfiiish
I'm a bit nervous as I'm not the type of person who'd vigorously study for exams - so hopefully, I'll do great in my final exams!

Mock results:
9 - Chemistry AQA
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel

Honestly, I don't know how I got a 9 in some of these subjects (I woke up at 5 in the morning of the Classics exam because I haven't revised. Did around 2 hrs of revision, and still got the top grade in my year??).

My main goal is to get all 9's during GCSEs; However, German is an exception, as I'm all right with anything between 7-and 9 in this subject.

Goodluck to anyone else studying for GCSE/A-levels/IB or anything else this year!

If there's any tips on how to get a 9 in Biology please send help this way 😀
Reply 2
If there's any tips on how to get a 9 in Biology please send help this way 😀

Hi - what do you struggle most with biology?
Original post by study23!
Hi - what do you struggle most with biology?

Mainly topic 6 and 7!
Reply 4
Mainly topic 6 and 7!

Sorry you’ll have to specify what those are (I did WJEC exam board last year). Content should be the same but I’m not sure what the numbered topics are x

And I believe in you getting all 9s in the summer!
Sorry you’ll have to specify what those are (I did WJEC exam board last year). Content should be the same but I’m not sure what the numbered topics are x

And I believe in you getting all 9s in the summer!
Thank you! Here's the topics:

6. Inheritance, variation and evolution
7. Ecology
Reply 6
Thank you! Here's the topics:

6. Inheritance, variation and evolution
7. Ecology
In general bio is very much what you can recall and past papers to put it into practise.

Topic 6 aqa notes here (https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/GCSE/Notes/AQA/6-Inheritance-Variation-and-Evolution/Detailed%20Notes.pdf) - I enjoyed this unit, is there a specific subtopic of it you find difficult? Like evolution or inheritance etc? Meiosis and mitosis?

I remember for evolution I made an acronym (in welsh but I'll make an english version for yoy now) to remember it.
More - Mutation
Visitors - Varitation
Chose - Competition
Green - Favourable gene
Before - breeding
Teal - transfer favourable gene to the offspring

Very random acronym, but it covers all main evolution points (mutation in the gene leads to variation, there is competition and the more favourable gene will survive the environment, then there will be breeding and so the favourable gene moves to the offspring).

Looking at PMT ecology notes for AQA (link here https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/GCSE/Notes/AQA/7-Ecology/Detailed%20Notes.pdf) it can be a lot of 'common sense' if you understand the key terms. Looking at this unit a lot of it wasn't in my exam board's spec, but in geography we looked at similar things. Try and write a point or two for each environmental factor.

Biodiversity can have lush questions - main thing about biodiversity is it's the number of different species in an area, important for producing new foods and medicines, and so important to protect it. for the risks against it write a mindmap (so deforestation - 2 points, global warming - 2 points etc) but think about the real life scenario, if you cut the trees there is loss of habitat, the ground isn't as fertilised.

I'd make mindmaps for each key topic for ecology, then recall by trying to remake it (on whiteboard or paper), then compare. Try past questions on it then.

I'm not sure how helpful this was, if there's a specific thing you don't understand in the course I'll do my best to explain (probably get more luck with topic 6 for this)
In general bio is very much what you can recall and past papers to put it into practise.

Topic 6 aqa notes here (https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/GCSE/Notes/AQA/6-Inheritance-Variation-and-Evolution/Detailed%20Notes.pdf) - I enjoyed this unit, is there a specific subtopic of it you find difficult? Like evolution or inheritance etc? Meiosis and mitosis?

I remember for evolution I made an acronym (in welsh but I'll make an english version for yoy now) to remember it.
More - Mutation
Visitors - Varitation
Chose - Competition
Green - Favourable gene
Before - breeding
Teal - transfer favourable gene to the offspring

Very random acronym, but it covers all main evolution points (mutation in the gene leads to variation, there is competition and the more favourable gene will survive the environment, then there will be breeding and so the favourable gene moves to the offspring).

Looking at PMT ecology notes for AQA (link here https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Biology/GCSE/Notes/AQA/7-Ecology/Detailed%20Notes.pdf) it can be a lot of 'common sense' if you understand the key terms. Looking at this unit a lot of it wasn't in my exam board's spec, but in geography we looked at similar things. Try and write a point or two for each environmental factor.

Biodiversity can have lush questions - main thing about biodiversity is it's the number of different species in an area, important for producing new foods and medicines, and so important to protect it. for the risks against it write a mindmap (so deforestation - 2 points, global warming - 2 points etc) but think about the real life scenario, if you cut the trees there is loss of habitat, the ground isn't as fertilised.

I'd make mindmaps for each key topic for ecology, then recall by trying to remake it (on whiteboard or paper), then compare. Try past questions on it then.

I'm not sure how helpful this was, if there's a specific thing you don't understand in the course I'll do my best to explain (probably get more luck with topic 6 for this)
Okay, thanks!
21/2

Finish annotating Mice and Men

Revise ClassCiv Women to be Feared topic - Camilla

German sentence builders - practice writing sentences

23-25/2

revise Biology topics 1-4

make notes on Chemistry Rates and Reaction

revise Physics topics (all)

26-27/2

Chemistry revision for Rates and Reaction

Plan art compositions

@milktee @kayleigh_t.27 @Tatakae L @emm4nuella
I've tagged some people who may be interested in your journey
welcome!! i moved your thread to 'grow your grades' ❤️

Mock results:
9 - Chemistry AQA
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel

WELCOMEE TO GYG 🤍 goodness gracious those mock results are amazinggg 💪💪 good luck with everything, i'll defo follow along with your journey <3 just wanted to ask, what texts and poetry anthology do you do for english lit?
thanks @study23! for the tag 🤍🤍
(edited 1 month ago)

Mock results:
9 - Chemistry AQA
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel

omg hi and WELCOME TO GYG. i shall follow along with your journey as a fellow gyg rat.
thanks @study23! my love for tagging me <3333
Original post by milktee
WELCOMEE TO GYG 🤍 goodness gracious those mock results are amazinggg 💪💪 good luck with everything, i'll defo follow along with your journey <3 just wanted to ask, what texts and poetry anthology do you do for english lit?
thanks @study23! for the tag 🤍🤍
I do coursework for English lit so the only text I need to study fully is Mice and Men!
Original post by emm4nuella
welcome!! i moved your thread to 'grow your grades' ❤️
Thank you for your time and kindness; I really appreciate it!
I do coursework for English lit so the only text I need to study fully is Mice and Men!
ohhh i see, that sounds interesting!
Original post by milktee
ohhh i see, that sounds interesting!
What are you doing for English lit?
What are you doing for English lit?
my exam board is edexcel and i do romeo and juliet, refugee boy, jekyll and hyde, and the war and conflict poetry anthologyy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending