The Student Room Group

how do you feel about black men dating interracially

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you can really put London in the same group as any other part of the UK as it's a global city. What I mean is when you group London with other places, it isn't really London, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle etc. but it's more London, New York, Paris, Tokyo etc. Therefore attitudes in London are going to be less representative of what the rest of the country is like. I think even within London you'll find that racism / attitudes can vary substantially depending on the community or part. For example, there are certain parts where there's a good mix of all ethnicities (e.g. Peckham, Leyton / Leytonstone etc.) and in these areas everyone tends to be equal and the area is largely "colour-blind". On the other hand, somewhere like Ilford has a large white and Asian population, but they're largely segregated (apparently the BNP were active there some years ago).

Having said that, I'm black and I used to work in one pub in a village in Leics. (Ashby) and the population is about 99% white (out of about 1,000 people through the doors, there may literally only be 1-2 Asian / mixed race person there, I've never seen another black person there), Despite that, i never had any trouble there, everyone was friendly to me and I never felt my colour was an issue. On the other hand, I once visited someone in another East Midlands town that's of similar size and ethic mix (Bingham) and I was very conscious that i was the only black person there... no one actually said anything, but I did get a lot of stares, and yes I felt somewhat uncomfortable*, so I guess it does depend on the community itself.

Original post by Yourmainmancj
Ah yeah the small northern towns are pretty racist, similar to klan land lol, just stick to the main cities apart from liverpool. Is your uni a town based one or something. Also I used to go to Essex uni and I had loads of racist things there from people from places like Kent and Ipswich so I thought the south may have been worse, I dunno

One of my Uni housemates was from Dover, and I was surprised to hear some of the "anti-immigration" views she had. I'm guessing in those costal areas you mentioned it's more likely because those will be the areas where the "illegals" try to come in, so they may see first hand the authorities catching them and will be big local news as well.

I think it's a consequence of the so-called "Alt-right" where racists can appeal to a much more middle-class groups of people, those who would distance themselves from the hard-line violent thugs we tend to traditionally associate with the far-right.
Reply 41
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I don't think you can really put London in the same group as any other part of the UK as it's a global city. What I mean is when you group London with other places, it isn't really London, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle etc. but it's more London, New York, Paris, Tokyo etc. Therefore attitudes in London are going to be less representative of what the rest of the country is like. I think even within London you'll find that racism / attitudes can vary substantially depending on the community or part. For example, there are certain parts where there's a good mix of all ethnicities (e.g. Peckham, Leyton / Leytonstone etc.) and in these areas everyone tends to be equal and the area is largely "colour-blind". On the other hand, somewhere like Ilford has a large white and Asian population, but they're largely segregated (apparently the BNP were active there some years ago).

Having said that, I'm black and I used to work in one pub in a village in Leics. (Ashby) and the population is about 99% white (out of about 1,000 people through the doors, there may literally only be 1-2 Asian / mixed race person there, I've never seen another black person there), Despite that, i never had any trouble there, everyone was friendly to me and I never felt my colour was an issue. On the other hand, I once visited someone in another East Midlands town that's of similar size and ethic mix (Bingham) and I was very conscious that i was the only black person there... no one actually said anything, but I did get a lot of stares, and yes I felt somewhat uncomfortable*, so I guess it does depend on the community itself.

One of my Uni housemates was from Dover, and I was surprised to hear some of the "anti-immigration" views she had. I'm guessing in those costal areas you mentioned it's more likely because those will be the areas where the "illegals" try to come in, so they may see first hand the authorities catching them and will be big local news as well.

I think it's a consequence of the so-called "Alt-right" where racists can appeal to a much more middle-class groups of people, those who would distance themselves from the hard-line violent thugs we tend to traditionally associate with the far-right.

Having lived in both London and Kent before I feel qualified to comment and personally I would disagree about what he says racism there. I have not experienced any direct racism in Kent but have seen two instances. However I have seen some instances in London as well.

The white people in Kent seem friendly to me, almost on a daily basis some randomer or other said hello to me. They 80% of the time use the word "bruv" though and I think they look at me and just assume that's how black people always speak but the ironic thing is that white guys by thinking this way actually use that word towards me about 3 times as much as black people use that word towards me

and lets talk about the white women in kent vs London. MASSIVE difference. In London the only attractive white women interested in me look like sluts. My intentions are not to be disrespectful, but that is the most accurate word to describe their appearance, if girl is hot and looks downtoearth or looks the type you could "bring home to mom" then she is always completely not interested in the slightest. Is there any good looking white girl from London reading this who looks downtoearth?, If I approached you it's almost guaranteed you would quickly brush me off or try to get rid of me asap. The type of hot girl that will occasionally show interest looks fairly promiscuous. and most girls do not look promiscuous. This is an extremely slim slice of the market which is open to me in London. Basically if the girl does not look promiscuous she will automatically exclude me on racial grounds if she's a London girl.

In kent, it seems I have a somewhat broader appeal. It is not just only necessarily the promiscuous looking ones who are only interested. It took two approaches to get a phone number off a non promiscuous hot white girl in Kent, whilst In London I still have not achieved this. and I've spent much more time in London...

So all in all, in conclusion I would say Kent is less racist than London. The amount of direct racism in both these places is about the same. but there is much more undercover racism going on in London .. with white girls not typically looking at black men for relationship purposes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
Having lived in both London and Kent before I feel qualified to comment and personally I would disagree about what he says racism there. I have not experienced any direct racism in Kent but have seen two instances. However I have seen some instances in London as well.

The white people in Kent seem friendly to me, almost on a daily basis some randomer or other said hello to me. They 80% of the time use the word "bruv" though and I think they look at me and just assume that's how black people always speak but the ironic thing is that white guys by thinking this way actually use that word towards me about 3 times as much as black people use that word towards me

and lets talk about the white women in kent vs London. MASSIVE difference. In London the only attractive white women interested in me look like sluts. My intentions are not to be disrespectful, but that is the most accurate word to describe their appearance, if girl is hot and looks downtoearth or looks the type you could "bring home to mom" then she is always completely not interested in the slightest. Is there any good looking white girl from London reading this who looks downtoearth?, If I approached you it's almost guaranteed you would quickly brush me off or try to get rid of me asap. The type of hot girl that will occasionally show interest looks fairly promiscuous. and most girls do not look promiscuous. This is an extremely slim slice of the market which is open to me in London. Basically if the girl does not look promiscuous she will automatically exclude me on racial grounds if she's a London girl.

In kent, it seems I have a somewhat broader appeal. It is not just only necessarily the promiscuous looking ones who are only interested. It took two approaches to get a phone number off a non promiscuous hot white girl in Kent, whilst In London I still have not achieved this. and I've spent much more time in London...

So all in all, in conclusion I would say Kent is less racist than London. The amount of direct racism in both these places is about the same. but there is much more undercover racism going on in London .. with white girls not typically looking at black men for relationship purposes.

I've not been to Kent much, so I can't comment directly on the people there... although it is, at the end of the day, a county and I would imagine people from, say, Dartford may be very different to those from somewhere like Canterbury. For example I said in my previous post that I worked in a town called Ashby in Leicestershire, where the population was almost entirely white... however the main city of that county is Leicester and it is the most multi-cultured city in Europe. In fact, with an approximate 25% population of South Asian origin, it's the first European city to have a non-white (BAME) majority population. Moreover, i believe places like Thanet are UKIP strong holds?

Similarly in London, it will depend very much where you're based exactly. For example, Leyton / Leytonstone & Peckham are two areas that are very chilled when it comes to the whole race relations thing (e.g. David Beckham is originally from Leytonstone and he's clearly very relaxed around people of all different ethnicities. Similarly the ethnic diversity in sitcoms such as Only Fools & Horses and Desmond's certainly represent Peckham in a similar way). I think the main thing that makes these areas so uniquely relaxed about the whole race thing is that there's a healthy mix of White, black South Asian and others, which is different to places like East Ham or Whitechapel, or Dagenham, which tend to be more dominated by one particular race. Places like Brixton and Hackney, though traditionally "black" have become gentrified in recent years. but the new middle class folk don't really inter-act with the renaming black crowd. Don't forget, if you wanted to go clubbing in London's West End, there's a good chance you may be refused entry in many venues purely because you're black.

I don'know where abouts in London you live or tend to go, so again I can't comment on your experiences, or if it's something obvious you're doing to initiate your results... but I DO SEE several Black & White couples where they've got a wide range of looks:- I've seen those look "street" and smart/ professional. couples and the "downtoearth" types. Maybe you're just prone to attract the promiscuous types (not sure what that says about you lol)

EDIT:- For the record, in my previous post i was addressing the previous points rimstone and yourmainmancj addressed about racism in general and not specific to Black guy / white girl attraction... but at least you've brought it back on topic :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Lmao, y’all mention racism and stuffs, starting to differentiate between races. I never knew what the word “race” means until I came across a debate about racism.

If you care much about race, then I don’t think you should be asking about opinions. After all we’re all categorised under one title called “HUMAN”. You just should stop differentiating between people based on skin colour, we all got same body components and stuffs.

And if you love any girl, just go and talk to her despite the race or religion or whatever braindamage caused by 2k19

#Ilikemycoffeeblacklikemyman

Jkjk
Reply 44
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I don'know where abouts in London you live or tend to go, so again I can't comment on your experiences, or if it's something obvious you're doing to initiate your results... but I DO SEE several Black & White couples where they've got a wide range of looks:- I've seen those look "street" and smart/ professional. couples and the "downtoearth" types. Maybe you're just prone to attract the promiscuous types (not sure what that says about you lol)

EDIT:- For the record, in my previous post i was addressing the previous points rimstone and yourmainmancj addressed about racism in general and not specific to Black guy / white girl attraction... but at least you've brought it back on topic :wink:

I see black and white couples as well. I will say that if I happen to know the girl through friends or something like that ..then things are a bit better and it's not just promiscuous looking girls. Although when I say better, looks wise the white girls who are showing interest are usually 7 or below in London if met through friends etc. typically 4 to 6.

However for a girl 20+ in London to show interest who is hot, if it happens they always tend to look promiscuous, and you're right. what does that say about me? why are the decent girls who don't look promiscuous by in large completely not interested? Is it that girls are negatively sterotyping me as some sort of player or something. Or that i'm that low value to them they'd only consider me for something purely casual/sexual. either way pretty insulting if you think about it...

I actually did an experiment once when In London whilst clubbing and only approached extremely promiscuous dressed girls. and when I say promiscuous, I mean promiscuous. A simple dress/short skirt and high heels were not enough for me to class as promiscuously dressed. Anyways, the girls I approached tended to be miles more flirty and receptive than the other types wearing more clothes who would typically just ignore me or give me bland I'm not really interested in talking to you answers. depressing experiment...

and yes, I've been refused entry into London west clubs for being black so much times now that I've actually lost count. Picadilly Institute, Oniels, Zoo bar, Tiger Tiger ...all ****ing racist.
I've actually secretly watched them out of sight after being refused entry with excuses such as "not on the guest list", "no girls with you" ..and seen them letting in white dude's with no girls with them and without checking their name on a list.
If you are a youngish looking black male these organisations often do not you in their club.
Original post by ANM775
I see black and white couples as well. I will say that if I happen to know the girl through friends or something like that ..then things are a bit better and it's not just promiscuous looking girls. Although when I say better, looks wise the white girls who are showing interest are usually 7 or below in London if met through friends etc. typically 4 to 6.

Well you have to remember that hitting on girls in the pub / club environment is only one of many ways you can meet people. You've got various dating apps as well as social networking that are all viable ways of meeting people these days. Besides, the pub / club is known to be more of an environment where a quick hook-up is statistically more likely than any meaningful relationship.

However for a girl 20+ in London to show interest who is hot, if it happens they always tend to look promiscuous, and you're right. what does that say about me? why are the decent girls who don't look promiscuous by in large completely not interested? Is it that girls are negatively sterotyping me as some sort of player or something. Or that i'm that low value to them they'd only consider me for something purely casual/sexual. either way pretty insulting if you think about it...

I understand (and can empathise with) your frustration, but it's still better than nothing isn't it?!? (unless maybe if you're religious... in which case what you doing in a club in the first place lol). Think of all the normal looking South or East Asian guys... or any guy who can't make the 5'7" height threshold who won't get any attention from girls in clubs? How do you think they'd feel?

As I've said multiple times, a large factor in all this is to do with t he medias perception of such people. In the case of black men, it's largely either a) A gangster / gangster wannabe who'll be lucky to make it to the age of 30, or b) A 'wasteman' who does nothing but smoke weed all day or c) A sex-mad player, who ends up with a string of illegitimate children around (baby-father). The only really positive stereotypes for young black guys are either the athlete / sportsman or the dancer (have you got the body to prove it? lol).

Still, I'd say be grateful for what you can get and learn how to play the game (you seem like a reasonably smart guy, so I'm sure you can manipulate the situation to your own favour... one way or another).

I actually did an experiment once when In London whilst clubbing and only approached extremely promiscuous dressed girls. and when I say promiscuous, I mean promiscuous. A simple dress/short skirt and high heels were not enough for me to class as promiscuously dressed. Anyways, the girls I approached tended to be miles more flirty and receptive than the other types wearing more clothes who would typically just ignore me or give me bland I'm not really interested in talking to you answers. depressing experiment...

It's no secret that girls may dress in a certain way in order to get the desired attention and /or send out a particular message. It's just a thought, but maybe the girls who are dressed more conservatively just aren't interested in any male attention (e.g. maybe they have a boyfriend or perhaps they specifically want to bond with their girl-mates etc.). Alternatively, maybe you need to approach these girls in a different manner than you would the "promiscuous" looking ones.

and yes, I've been refused entry into London west clubs for being black so much times now that I've actually lost count. Picadilly Institute, Oniels, Zoo bar, Tiger Tiger ...all ****ing racist.
I've actually secretly watched them out of sight after being refused entry with excuses such as "not on the guest list", "no girls with you" ..and seen them letting in white dude's with no girls with them and without checking their name on a list.
If you are a youngish looking black male these organisations often do not you in their club

Yes, I've also experienced that at some London West End clubs... However, I found the way you can get around that is to go in with a group of white people.

If it's any consolation, it seems that it's just as bad for black girls these days; these days flirting with the bouncers and even "puppy-dog" & lip pouts aren't enough to sweet-talk their way into certain places these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/04/london-clubs-and-racism-the-west-end-is-a-hostile-environment
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending