The Student Room Group

Is feminism becoming radical

I have to right an essay on this and I would really appreciate some opinions from you all. What do you think about this? Would you consider yourself a feminist?
Feminism covers a range of opinions and philosophies about how women should be treated equally with men. Those who tend to be labelled as radical feminists are often those who express their wish for equality in such a way that they are branded as hating men. Equality is a word in itself that conjures up many views, some being a simple wish to do the same things as men, others being that things/ideas/conditions are valued equally. For example, that women can go about their daily life without sexual harassment in all its varied forms- the harassment is different from that which a man can experience, but is more commonplace.

One common thread about feminism is about how a woman's body is viewed, hence when and whether a woman can have an abortion, access to certain health care, a woman doctor, and sympathy from men on matters such as the impact of periods being feminist causes. Whether a woman should be criticised for her choices in clothing, should be free as a man to be without a top when in a park or on a beach sunbathing, for example. There are other aspects of choice I think that feminists care about and want respected, such as whether or not to shave their armpits or bikini area.

Another is about pay, not just equal pay for the same job, but valuing jobs equally, and having working conditions that recognise women in the workplace. Flexible working arrangements, the ability to work from home, are often seen as being particularly to benefit women with children, but are often open to all.

There is then a view of some feminists that I as a man cannot be a feminist and so should not have made any comments at all.
Feminism has had radical elements since at least the suffragettes to be fair. Every ideology has its radical parts to it but by no means should they define that ideology as a whole as just "radical".
Reply 3
for your essay i think i would write it as 'has feminism gone too far' or 'is feminism still relevant' since there actually is a theory of feminism specifically called 'radical feminism' so to answer your current question it is clearly yes :smile:

i would argue that all feminism is radical tho. liberal feminists seeking the vote would've been considered radical thinkers in their day, don't you think? we consider it to be rational thinking now but it wouldn't have been 100 years ago.

what is your position OP? if you give us your general thesis statement i can probably think of some ideas.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending