The Student Room Group

Is dressing as cleopatra culturally offensive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kangaroo17
i think its the other way round. Most europeans were learning to whack stones together let alone build a boat. the point is she's neither white nor black, the closest she would be is Mediterranean. We don't know what the ancient greeks / Egyptians looked like exactly so..

I was more referring to the literal sprinkling of DNA through trade and conquest around the area from Roman invasions to the crusades and so on.
I mean to take another example, there’s a good reason some afghans and Indians are as pale as a ghost with blue/green eyes from when Alexander marched that way

Although to add on to your point, I’ve always found it amusing that Jesus, to take but a very visible example, is depicted as white 😂
Original post by Napp
I was more referring to the literal sprinkling of DNA through trade and conquest around the area from Roman invasions to the crusades and so on.
I mean to take another example, there’s a good reason some afghans and Indians are as pale as a ghost with blue/green eyes from when Alexander marched that way

Although to add on to your point, I’ve always found it amusing that Jesus, to take but a very visible example, is depicted as white 😂

exactly, apparently now Jesus and Cleopatra are white as snow? :biggrin:

Original post by Napp

well the buddha is depicted as chinese in asian countries, when he was indian (by indian i mean from ancient india, which is vast in itself).

my point is, they are neither black nor white. not culturally either. ancient Egyptians/greeks had a culture that was distinct from european culture. its more the european culture has been shaped by them than them being part of european culture in a way. just like you stated how alexander went east, greeks had more in common with asia (near east mostly, not india etc) but also rome later on i guess.

And indians/afghans are caucasoids, and weren't exclusively turned pale/light skinned due to greek conquests. that's just how they looked. why are greeks today mostly black hair, black/brown eyes?
Original post by Napp
Considering the amount of European DNA that has been left in the region you'd be surprised.

Do you honestly think north Africans are white!? Sure a couple of them have hazel eyes, or lighter skin, or softer hair than others. Doesn't make em white! Are African Americans with light skin because of slavemaster ancestry white??
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
A Macedonian Greek dynasty with some Syrian blood (from Seleucid intermarrying) - white as snow? :rofl:

A foreigner though to the lands she ruled - her time was closer to us than she was to the Great Pyramid of Giza - around 2500 years old when she ruled

Likely had olive skin, with dark curly/wavy hair imo.

(It's Britney b*** :wink:)

Lmao I'm finished. There's no way! I think if she was white skinned, she had pitch black hair. They're doing too much. Plot twist, the ***** had a full blown afro lol
Reply 65
Original post by Tootles
Who gives a ****, she lived two thousand years ago.

Cleopatra was Greek.

Already covered this!
Reply 66
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Do you honestly think north Africans are white!? Sure a couple of them have hazel eyes, or lighter skin, or softer hair than others. Doesn't make em white! Are African Americans with light skin because of slavemaster ancestry white??

I was referring more to the Arab world such as Syria, Lebanon etc. where a fair number of them do look distinctly European
Well nobody else is talking about that. We're talking about CLEOPATRA, who is supposedly Greek though she is from Egypt which is Africa...nowhere near Syria and Lebanon so wat iz u doin.
Original post by Napp
I was referring more to the Arab world such as Syria, Lebanon etc. where a fair number of them do look distinctly European

Scroll up. I'm driving so the connection is on and off and didn't load your comment though I quoted you .
Yes. Whenever anyone does it the Pharoahs turn in their Sarcophagi.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp

Scroll up. I'm driving so the connection is on and off and didn't load your comment though I quoted you . This comment will probably randomly load as well once I hit my Wi-Fi at home...
Reply 71
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Well nobody else is talking about that. We're talking about CLEOPATRA, who is supposedly Greek though she is from Egypt which is Africa...nowhere near Syria and Lebanon so wat iz u doin.

Evidently some of us are...

Egypt is right next to Syria and Lebanon..? Well, one tiny country over but nevertheless.
Also whats your point about Egypt being African sorry? It's in the Middle East.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending