The Student Room Group

What would happen to the amplitude and period of a current if the frequency doubled?

Hi everyone,

I'm really struggling to understand the relationships between the amplitude, period and frequency of currents.
I haven't touched physics since I did my GCSEs and I am now completing a physics mini-module at uni which I'm finding really difficult. Any help would be really appreciated x
(edited 4 years ago)
Amplitude would not be changed, assuming nothing else (other than frequency or period) changed.
But the relationship between frequency and period of any oscillatory function is always

Period = 1 / frequency
Frequency = 1 / period
Inverse proportionality.
Double the one and you half the other.

And, yes, what uberteknik says regarding the circuit, of course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ash2810
Hi everyone,

I'm really struggling to understand the relationships between the amplitude, period and frequency of currents.
I haven't touched physics since I doing my GCSEs and I am now completing a physics mini-module at uni which I'm finding really difficult. Any help would be really appreciated x

It all depends on the circuit. For instance, is the load purely resistive or reactive (contains capacitors and inductors)? At what points in the circuit is the measurement made? You need to post the whole question for a definitive answer.
Reply 3
Thanks!
It's an AC circuit where the current varies sinusoidally and the measurements are taken every second.

Quick Reply

Latest